First off....This is my first post...I use to be on here as Ravenklown but no longer am in control of that email and cannot remember the information. Good to be back!

I do not have a lot of musically theory so when it comes to trying to figure out on how to write a solo i am bassically a fail...So I turn to you guys!

Now this is my first attempt at solo writing....the only scale i know is the penatonic minor....which won''t help me here.

The song in question is a fast pace song...roughly at 160 bpm. This is a metalcore/ post hardcore type song My band is tuned in Drop A# or Drop B flat which ever you rather...so most the notes are sharp/flat.

these are the chords being used.

C# D# C F# G# A#

All bar chords and octaves.

The only scale i have found that might work is the C# melodic minor scale...but i am not sure...Can any one give advice on the actions i should take on writing this solo?

Thanks in advance!
with out the chord qualities and known voicings of sevens its really hard to give you advice on scale options..

just to note: you have a tritone from C to F# in your progression? as youve written it. its an augmented 4th which makes your 3rd and 4th modes of melodic minor possible options

treatments of tritones can leave your audience in awe or pain.. careful when dealing with it
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
exactly what do you mean by chord qulities and voicings? and what are tritones...I might be able to give you the chord qualities and the voicings i just dont know what you mean exactly.
I don't have a guitar on me, but the scale would either be C#major or C#minor. The C chord is just substituted in for fun. So the scale would either be C# major or C# natural or melodic minor. The natural 7th in the melodic minor would sound good over the C chord.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by WhenLegendsFall
exactly what do you mean by chord qulities and voicings? and what are tritones...I might be able to give you the chord qualities and the voicings i just dont know what you mean exactly.

hahaha. i dont want to discourage you but maybe you should learn some music fundamentals before doing solos. IE intervals, triad harmony (inversions) etc..

a chord quality: you have your root.. EX. C.. to find the quality the 3rd of the chord must be present.. C D E<< 3rd.. if it is 4 half steps away or C to E it is major.. if the note Eb then it is minor

voicing: where the notes are placed.. C major chord: C E G .. my choice voicing E G C (1st inversion) .. it also has to do with where the notes are placed from bass clef to treble

tritone: ranked #1 in dissonance meter aka devils note.. creates a huge amount of instability.. a decent section of Jazz Harmony relates to the treatment of the tritone/ composite tritone ( tritone octave higher) #4/b5 #11/b12 and so on...
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Hmm ok that makes more since...I have been learning and I figured attempting to a write a solo would help me learn hence why I am trying it.