Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to buy an ESP 400 series Stratocaster or a Fender Classic 50s series Stratocaster. Which guitar is better and why?
Thanks.
Asking which is better is going net multiple results, going to depend on the person playing it. I prefer the Fender Classic, but it doesn't mean it is better.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
My classic 50's is a dream. I mean, just beautiful guitar.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
what genre do you mostly play?
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
I guess my main concern is the price. I can't afford a guitar that is > $700.
I've only played the Standard Strat, which is the cheapest Strat available. It didn't seem to suit my fave genre, which is grunge. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong guitar?

I initially wanted a Mustang, but the price is ridiculous for the quality, in my opinion.
I can get a good grunge sound out of my Squier Strat with a ProCo Rat.
Michael
To be honest...I don't even have my own distortion pedal yet.
But, I don't know, doesn't a Strat sound a bit thin? Would installing a bridge humbucker in a Strat make it sound better, or deeper?
I don't think so. I mean Kurt Cobain used Strats and he is considered kind of the father of grunge. How can a guy put grunge on the map with a Strat, but a Strat not be good for grunge?
Michael
Yea...I agree, you've got a point. It's the music that counts, after all, right?
Regarding the two Strats I mentioned, I'm kinda attracted to the ESP Strat, because it is vintage and rare. The problem is, I can only buy it online, so I can't try it out myself. Do you, or anyone else, know the quality of its sound?
The ESP sounds pretty good. At a cheaper price, I think I'll choose that one.
Thanks for your help!
the classic range are fantastic guitars for the price i have a classic 60s aswell as two highend american strat plus's and theres very little difference in build quality both fantastic
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
A Fender costs more but it retains it's value better than any other brand of guitar. When in doubt, go with the Fender. If you 'know' another guitar is better for your needs then go for it. However, don't expect to get much of your money back if it doesn't meet your expectations.
You do realize that most of what you're hearing from those videos is the amp, and not the guitar, right? You won't be able to tell the difference between the ESP and the Fender unless you play them in real life.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Raijouta, I understand what you mean, but like I said, it's difficult to get my hands on an ESP Strat. How else am I going to determine the difference? Should I just forget about it if I can't play it myself?