hi guys
im new to electric guitar and im gonna buy it around September

and also i have plan to buy a apple computer i don't know if you guys are familiar with apple

i am stuck between desktop version (more power) vs laptop all apple

so here is my question all guitar players use computer for doing lots of editing and also is laptop good for this kind of work or should i go with desktop version which is more powerful

thank you guys in advanced and sorry if my questions sounds stupid I'm new
A laptop is fine, but you will just pay a lot more money. Portability is the main thing to consider. Because you can get 8 GB of RAM and a great processor in a Macbook Pro, but you'll just pay a bunch more.
You're talking about recording when you say editing, right?
If you're new to guitar, I really wouldnt be spending that much on a computer for recording, unless you plan on doing some kind of course in Audio Engineering or something similar. I'd focus on just playing for at least the your first year, maybe then start getting into recording. Its a pretty steep learning curve (both guitar and recording)
However, if you're set on this, the laptop will be fine. I run a Macbook Pro and its got more than enough power for recording, editing and mixing as long as you arent doing massive sessions.
Quote by littlephil
You're talking about recording when you say editing, right?
If you're new to guitar, I really wouldnt be spending that much on a computer for recording, unless you plan on doing some kind of course in Audio Engineering or something similar. I'd focus on just playing for at least the your first year, maybe then start getting into recording. Its a pretty steep learning curve (both guitar and recording)

Id have to go with this portion of his statement...you may want to practice cause if you are new to guitar it will likely show in your playing, and all the editing software in the world cannot cover up bad/beginner playing. You will really want to get your chops up and make sure your playing is precise, neat and clean. then you should worry about recording. But if you still want to get a computer yes a laptop will be fine, just be prepared to divvy up some cash for it.
Yes, I'm pretty sure almost everyone is familiar with Apple products haha. I'm personally not a fan of Apple (Except the Touch, that thing is pure genius and they perfected the touchscreen idea on the first shot) or their ass backwards computer language Applescript. I would concentrate on learning to play first like previously mentioned, but here's something to keep in mind about Apple's new laptops: the regular Macbooks don't have a Firewire port anymore
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by KillerLolrus
Im going to say right now, Mac (Apple) is the shittiest computer company out there.

I'm going to say THIS then, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I have two years experince with this piece of shit, its slow, it lags, and it was 2000 dollers.

a 10 year old Dell would blow this out of the water.
Quote by KillerLolrus
I have two years experince with this piece of shit, its slow, it lags, and it was 2000 dollers.

a 10 year old Dell would blow this out of the water.

Well then you've done something wrong, not Apple.
Apple builds solid computers, Sony is the Windows equivalent in design. But they overprice their products for the features you get and have exceptionally biased and one-sided claims on their products. Sure they rarely get viruses but not because they're super computers, why would somebody take the time to write an exceptional virus for an OS that occupies >5% of the market?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Yes, I'm pretty sure almost everyone is familiar with Apple products haha. I'm personally not a fan of Apple (Except the Touch, that thing is pure genius and they perfected the touchscreen idea on the first shot) or their ass backwards computer language Applescript. I would concentrate on learning to play first like previously mentioned, but here's something to keep in mind about Apple's new laptops: the regular Macbooks don't have a Firewire port anymore

the new macbook pros have a firewire 800 (newer and smaller) as seen here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html
Eh.
Yeah, they are overpriced, but they're extremely stable, which makes them perfect for recording. If you go into pretty much any pro studio (except the analogue purists), more likely than not they'll be running a Mac.
EDIT:
^Thats his point, only the Pro has Firewire, not the regular Macbook.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 6, 2010,
The regular Macbook had a Firewire port until this last model, now only the Pro's have it. The latest Macbook is pretty much a joke compared to last season's model (minus the insane battery life, but they got that from using a much larger battery and downgrading the GPU)
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60