Aside from someone potentially quipping that that's what normal speakers are for, I was just wondering why a product doesn't seem to exist with no drive channel yet. Or, perhaps it does and I simply don't know about it. It sounds like the kind of cheap gimmick that a low-quality imitation company would come up with, but still..! Shh. Kindly laugh not at my foolish ideas.

Since many guitarists use their own distortion pedals anyway and just ignore the amp's in-built drive function, would it not make sense to manufacture a very simple line of models that has only the clean facility? Is there a specific reason this doesn't occur that I'm not aware of, besides catering to all markets and tastes and all of that diverse demographic stuff?

Personally, I really wouldn't mind having a specialized clean guitar amp into which you could just use your own distortion pedals and not worry about a drive channel at all. I guess it's a bit like having a guitar with just one humbucker; sure, it's more versatile to have the greater options of an increased number of pick-ups, but there's also something fun about the simplicity of it all once in a while.
Roland Jazz Amp?

There are a few Fenders with only clean too, I believe.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Most single channel amps that I've seen are valve, so they'll start to overdrive at higher volumes, so really they arent clean only. Its not really possible, as every kind of amp will start to distort when pushed, but some amps will stay clean even at really high volumes.
Plus, most people will want some kind of distortion from the amp, even if they dont use it. It only adds versatility, so why limit yourself to just clean?
there is such a thing as one channel amps, which are mainly tube....if the gain is set low it would be only clean. that's why master volume amps exist though, so you can crank the gain and keep it at a decent voume
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by zephyrclaw
Since many guitarists use their own distortion pedals anyway and just ignore the amp's in-built drive function

You couldn't be more wrong with this. Many guitarists actually use their amps second channel (usually the channel with more gain) and DO NOT use a distortion pedal, but a boost in order to push the tubes in an amp further. Many Metal guitarists do this, along with Rock guitarists.
Quote by phlip999
You couldn't be more wrong with this. Many guitarists actually use their amps second channel (usually the channel with more gain) and DO NOT use a distortion pedal, but a boost in order to push the tubes in an amp further. Many Metal guitarists do this, along with Rock guitarists.

Many guitarists use pedals just for distortion too. He's not wrong. Just mostly metal/rock guitarists will use amp distortion, but theres a lot more out there than just rock and metal.
Aah, cool. Thanks for the informative replies so far!

Quote by phlip999

Hmm, that's not exactly what I meant. Notice how I stayed away from using the word "most". I'm not saying that the majority of guitarists prefer pedals; it's just that obviously a portion of the population that does that indeed exists, especially amateur musicians - or perhaps it's just the ones I know - but also professional ones as well. Oh well. I'm aware of the fact that others also do employ the amp's drive channel, but anyway, that's not really that relevant to my main question.

Okay, cool. Thanks again for the amp examples, guys!
Last edited by zephyrclaw at Jun 6, 2010,
A 100-watt amplifier with no master volume will not distort except at deafening volume levels, so yes, such amps exist. Marshall's 1959 Super Lead Plexi and Blackstar's Artisan 100 are two good examples. And if you can find an old Marshall Major, that is a Super Lead Plexi rated at 200 watts. That thing will never distort. Unfortunately, Marshall never saw fit to reissue them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^^^ A Twin Reverb will distort at higher volumes; just ask The Sex Pistols.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i dont know if it only has one channel, but the Roland JC-120 has like the best clean sound known to man kind
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Are you looking in particular for a guitar amp with only a clean channel then (because they do exist as people have said)? Or like something in the form of a Keyboard Amp (which, at least usually, can be used as an ultra portable PA system)?
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
I think the Fender Blues JR. has no separate gain channel
Quote by Zida
I think the Fender Blues JR. has no separate gain channel

Naw. That is one of the dirtiest amps Fender makes. Not what I would get if I wanted to use pedals for distortion.

zephyrclaw - dude there are lots of amps that will work for what you are wanting. It's not that hard. I'd probably go for a solid state amp with cleans like the Roland Jazz Chorus.

*cough* you've been here since 2003?
The Fender Dual Professional? Probably kind of hard to find, but I think it was basically designed for maximum clean headroom.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
zephyrclaw - dude there are lots of amps that will work for what you are wanting. It's not that hard. I'd probably go for a solid state amp with cleans like the Roland Jazz Chorus.

I'm not specifically looking to purchase any of them. I'm just not much of a gear expert, as you can probably very easily tell, so I'm a bit curious about this since the random thought just occurred to me. Oh, kindly forgive my ignorance, grand master. Hmm, where's the worshipping emoticon here? *grovels for no reason*

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

"Forum posts: 536 (0.21 per day)"

Does that help?
fender super reverb.

All tube amp will distort at some point. Whether you are dead before that happens is the issue.
There are a lot of one channel amps. Even if an amp is meant to be a metal amp, depending on how you eq and set the master/gain it can stay clean forever.

For example. Soldano Avenger 100. Master all the way up. Gain at 2. Cleans. Then I guess you could stick some pedals are what not in there but you'd be doing it wrong at that point.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
How has nobody mentioned the AC30 yet?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
sansui. i dont think its a tube amp...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by zephyrclaw
I'm not specifically looking to purchase any of them. I'm just not much of a gear expert, as you can probably very easily tell, so I'm a bit curious about this since the random thought just occurred to me. Oh, kindly forgive my ignorance, grand master. Hmm, where's the worshipping emoticon here? *grovels for no reason*

"Forum posts: 536 (0.21 per day)"

Does that help?

I see I've made another friend

oh and you can just do this

seriously a solid state will do you fine just poking fun man
Quote by littlephil

Not that again!

it never gets old.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
off the top of my head, as far as tube amps go there's the fender twin reverb, which has 2 channels, one "normal" and one "vibrato" channel, as opposed to clean/drive. Obviously being a tube amp it will start to get a bit compressed and distorted if you turn it up loud enough, but "loud enough" to get a distorted tone on a fender twin reverb is "too much".

Everyone is saying the roland jazz chorus but actually, i hate to break it to you but.. the jazz chorus has a distorted channel...

just look closely...

allegedly, it sort of sucks, too, and that's probably why people don't talk about it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Overdrive channels weren't 'invented' until sometime in the 70's, so before that all amps only had a clean channel. And since most guitarists fear innovation, many new amps are still like that.
Quote by mr_hankey
Overdrive channels weren't 'invented' until sometime in the 70's, so before that all amps only had a clean channel. And since most guitarists fear innovation, many new amps are still like that.

that's exactly what i... thought i'd put in my post, but apparently didn't

but yeah before the '70s it was quite normal for an amp to just have a single channel with one volume control, however, there were amps with multiple channels but this was never "clean" and "overdrive", it was more often "normal" and "bright" or something like that.. the only way to get overdrive would be to turn them up obnoxiously loud, as they were all designed for clean tones.

although there were some vox solid state amps in the mid-late '60s which were way ahead of their time in that they had footswitchable distortion settings.. the beatles used these during the revolver/sgt. pepper era to get those very sharp, grinding guitar tones. Then they ditched vox all together and started using fender amps instead
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Anyone know when the first overdrive channels (on a tube amp) were made? Was it really the Mesa Mk I? Dumble started making ODS's somewhere around 1970...
Yup! If you look at the mesa subway blues, you will notice...

There is no od or gain control! I heard stays pretty clean as well even at fairly high volumes.