http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115

I need help on this. I want an EQ pedal to go with my Blackstar HT-5 so badly, but I really don't have much knowledge on them (like the frequencies and stuff). I was just going to play with it and learn. But I need to know what to get. Is the pedal a lot better than the 6 band EQ MXR has? Also, this pedal has a gain function, how does that differ from the volume? Does the gain actually give your tone more gain or does it increase the output of the EQ? Isn't that what the volume does?

/badly worded post

So yeah I don't know much about them.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
For an EQ pedal, the MXR 10-band is about as good as it gets. The gain and volume control allow you to attenuate your signal at both ends, which is especially helpful if you use a guitar or bass with active pickups. The 10-band gives you greater control over your sound than does the 6-band version. Both are great, but if EQ control is what you seek then the 10-band is the better choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The gain channel is what is confusing me. If I were to use the pedal with the gain slide all the way up, would it distort my sound? Could it be used as a boost is what I'm asking.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
It can be used as a boost, but the gain controls the strength of the input, and the volume controls the strength of the output. More gain does not equal more br00tz, more gain equals more volume here.

As far as whether it's better than the 6-band: depends on whether you want greater tone molding ability or not. If price is your main concern, I'd get a used rack EQ from eBay or Craigslist or something.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
No, it would just allow 100% of the signal to get through. It isn't a gain boost. It cuts the signal so that it doesn't clip. Adjust the gain control until the little red light starts to blink (indicating clipping) and then back off of it a bit.

Here is the manual to explain it better:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/1145590281_m108_manual.pdf
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley