I am in the process of buying a slew of stompboxes, but find myself needing an amp to complement those new sounds. I guess what I am asking is what is an ideal amp for smaller gigs and parties, but isn't overly expensive? $450-$500 max.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
I am in the process of buying a slew of stompboxes, but find myself needing an amp to complement those new sounds. I guess what I am asking is what is an ideal amp for smaller gigs and parties, but isn't overly expensive? $450-$500 max.

gonna be hard to find a decent full tube for that price that's a decent size. the most important question, though, is what kinda music do you usually play?
I play everything except Hard Rock and Metal. Most of the time I play Ska, Reggae, Punk, and Classic Rock, and some Indie bands. I'm buying a BOSS Chorus CE-5 and Delay DD-3, a MOSFET Fulldrive, and a VOX V847 Wah Pedal. I was thinking along the lines of an Epiphone, Fender, or VOX Tube amp. Just need some opinions on what sort of amps I should be looking into.
problem still and no offense we are here to help

Epiphone = Marshally british tones
Fender = Fendery american tones
Vox = Voxy british tones

so you will use your Fulldrive for punk? Punk is dirty. Dirtier than Hard Rock.

my pick goes to the Epiphone So Cal 50 head.

next - used Classic 30

next - Peavey Vypyr 60

next - Egnater Tweaker
I'll be the first second to suggest a used Peavey Classic 30. It'd be perfect for parties and smaller venues. I definitely wouldn't look at anything rated above 50 watts (full tube) as, if needed, one could always mic the C30. The Classic 30 has great cleans and nice smooth distortion for classic rock. You should be able to get one anywhere from $400 - $500 used. Definitely worth a consideration.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Last edited by Got Guitar? at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Got Guitar?
I'll be the first second to suggest a used Peavey Classic 30. It'd be perfect for parties and smaller venues. I definitely wouldn't look at anything rated above 50 watts (full tube) as, if needed, one could always mic the C30. The Classic 30 has great cleans and nice smooth distortion for classic rock. You should be able to get one anywhere from $400 - $500 used. Definitely worth a consideration.

Are Peavey Classic discontinued amps? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
QUOTE:
Epiphone = Marshally british tones
Fender = Fendery american tones
Vox = Voxy british tones

I think I'd go with the Epiphone or Vox in the end anyway, I know I can get the tones I like out of them. I'll look into the Peavey Classic 30 though. Wonder if I can find it cheaper on craigslist.