Page 1 of 2
Originally I played with my fingers but I have decided that I wanna play pickstyle. I have done some reading up and I have seen that pickstyle bassist don't get as much respect as fingerstyle bassists. So what I really wanna know is...Will I lose the respect of my fellow musicians playing pickstyle???
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Will playing with a pick cause you to lose respect among your fellow musicians? Not at all. Paul McCartney? Chris Squire? They both play with a pick and command tremendous respect. If you play well, you will do so, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ Thanks man. massive confidence boost. And you just pwned my little bro for me. He thinks I'm a fag for playing pickstyle.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
There's nothing you can do as a musician or in life in general that everyone will agree with. Do whatever you want.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Im just being honest; if there were two bass players, same gear, and I hadnt heard either of them play yet, and one played with a pick while the other played fingerstyle, Id probably assume the fingerstyle player was better

Flame me all you want. Tell me how the pick doesnt matter, just the music you make with it. Tell me Im stupid, ignorant, and close minded, and then remind of me all the great bass players that use picks. But thats just how I feel, and I know a lot of other people feel the same.
closed
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
the thing with pick playing being not quite as cool or respectful is that bunch of bassist who play with picks play in those pop/punk kinda bands where the bass isn't very demanding and is very overlooked. so thats why people look down on it. but some of my favorite bassist (phill lesh, mike gordon, roger waters) use picks and i think nothing of it. its what really matters is how you play not what you use to play it with. just rock out however you want to.
If anyone tells you that playing with a pick makes you any less of a bassist or musician, then their opinions aren't even worth listening to. Playing with a pick is just as acceptable as fingerstyle, anyone who tells you otherwise is simply too immature to accept another form of plucking the strings
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Truth be told, you WILL lose respect from those traditionalist bassists who believe finger style, 4-string, root notes is the only way to play bass. I know many bassists (including myself) that don't care.
You never had my respect to begin with, so don't feel too bad.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Don't worry about losing respect if your going to use a pick.

I Use both fingerstyle and picks.

EDIT: It doesn't really matter if use picks or fingers if you can great music.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jun 6, 2010,
Using a pick is a-ok Check out Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance (Live in Wacken 2008) - their bass player plays with a pick.
If some guy tells me to play JUST fingerstyle (I play tapping/finger/pick/slap - you name it), I tell them to tell a guitarist to double-hand tap instead of using some pick.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You'll only lose the respect of the people that don't matter.

this is what I came in this thread to say
no sir away a papaya war is on
I thought I should also add that I mainly play metal such as Metallica and Black Sabbath and I wasn't a guitarist initially, I was a bassist from the begining - Just some info that was important on other sites.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed

(\__/)
I play with a pick and i get respect from my mate because he "fingers"
It's just different, i use a pick to stand out more as a bassplayer
you may lose some respect, but only from the stupid. lemmy kilmister, jason newsted and many others use picks man.
I was a fingerstyle only player for years,but these days use a pick more and more to get
different tones man, picks get more attack and "clack" whilst fingerstyle's a rounder,phatter sound. Frankly I think playing both styles is important and will improve you as a bassist, afterall our job is to fit and to be the building block (with drums) for any song,so having a full variety of tonal options and technique is key.
So, as has been said much already,dont worry about losing respect,because any1 who loses respect for you aint worth respecting
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Honestly, you probably will lose a bit from the people who think fingerstyle is the only real way to play bass, but what those people think shouldn't matter.

IMO, it's just a different technique, but there are always people who don't always agree with what you do.
some silly questions these days on the bass forum.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You won't lose respect for playing pickstyle.

You lose respect for bad quality playing. If you play bad quality with a pick, you'll lose just as much respect as if you play bad quality fingerstyle.
Quote by gilly_90
There's nothing you can do as a musician or in life in general that everyone will agree with. Do whatever you want.

I agree. Everyone has their own opinions and will pass their judgements. You should do whatever feels best for you.
I play both Pick and Fingerstyle. Mostly pick.
I remember when I first started to play and got my first bass. The place i bought it off, the guy, said real men don't use picks.. LOL
chances are, you'll eventually experiment with fingerstyle anyway. I never thought I'd be able to play with fingers, then I just started doin exercises and whatnot every day. Still use pick primarily though
A versatile bassist should use whatever style the music calls for. As for losing respect, real bass players will say that you should play a double bass. And traditional bassist will say that you should use a bow, and play classical music.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
Carol Kaye. Only one of the most prolific and respected session bassists ever, and author of a little book called How to Play the Bass Guitar. She plays exclusively pickstyle, and has for the last 50 or so years. Doesn't seem to have hurt her reputation.

Point being, play however you're comfortable.

Carol Kaye being Carol Kaye seems to hurt her reputation
How dare you even consider plaing with a pick! No one will respect you. Then you will lose your self respect and eventually your soul will turn into a black hole of dispair.

Of course that is all a lie and playing with a pick is perfectly fine.
Quote by fudger
the thing with pick playing being not quite as cool or respectful is that bunch of bassist who play with picks play in those pop/punk kinda bands where the bass isn't very demanding and is very overlooked. so thats why people look down on it. but some of my favorite bassist (phill lesh, mike gordon, roger waters) use picks and i think nothing of it. its what really matters is how you play not what you use to play it with. just rock out however you want to.

I play pop-punk and i use my fingers. It seems to shock everyone who see's me do it as well.
Quote by Derk'ed
I play pop-punk and i use my fingers. It seems to shock everyone who see's me do it as well.

yeah lol nice. granted i don't listen to pop-punk but it seems like everyone plays with a pick like a prerequisite to be a pop-punk bassist.
I take either one, but I just enjoy finger style more.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
..well... i actually was wondering the exactly the same thing about half a year ago, but once when we were jamming i grabbed a pick, and i was really feeling the groove, and it really worked for me, so now i do both: finger or pickstyle. if anyone disrespects you, thats stupid,
not to mention duff mckagan has badass riffs with a pick...........bassists rock.....
I play both styles :/
When I'm playing songs with my band that require a really boomy low end, I play fingerstyle. When I need a tighter bottom end and more articulation for really fast riffs, especially for chromatics, I use a pick. I have better accuracy and speed. I know I could get my fingerstyle to match my pickstyle if I wanted, but I don't see the need.
What I'm saying is, do what works for you. If you play better in one style and the sound difference isn't an issue, play the style that's easier. If you like the sound of one style better, boost your skill in that area and use that style.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I play mainly fingerstyle, but I can and sometimes do use pick where appropriate.

Do whatever suits you, and fuck the haters

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

TS do whatever the hell you want, as long as it sounds good to you. If you can make playing with your wang sound good then do it!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
^Honestly, I'd rather spend a few hours with Chris Squire in his heydey than most of the finger players I know.

Its a freakin' technique folks. Frankly I find all the guys in GC who play bad slap solos in the bass section a helluva lot less inspiring than a good pick player.
You probably will lose a bit. But hell you got a shit ton of respect on my end! There's truly a lack of really good pick players. Being a pick bassist myself nothing makes me happier then a great pick player. Such as Dave Ellefson, Wayne Darley, Jason Newsted, Chris Squire, Lemmy, Marco Hietala, Paul McCartney, Mike Inez and I'm sure there are more. Pick away my friend! Don't let people get to you. Just play and show them how awesome picking can be.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Page 1 of 2