Page 1 of 2
Blues Duels IV tying finalists: Strawforest007 and Blind In 1 Ear

Once more ladies and gentlemen, it's time for a Blues Duel contest! A matching of the best of the B&J forum's regulars in a contest for the title of Blues Duel Champion!

~~~RULES~~~

~Tracks must be Blues orientated. Other genres are acceptable, as long as the sound of the Blues is present and/or dominant.
~Tracks must be at least one minute.
~Covers and original music are allowed
~If you wish, you may use a backing track in addition to your guitar.
~Though any instruments are allowed, there must be a guitar somewhere!
~For every round you make it to, you're expected to record another track.
~Recordings should be submitted to me either by PM or by this thread.
~Who faces who is decided by dice, not entry date or rank from last time, etc., etc.
~Though not an official rule, it's recommended you record your track before the round. If you do not submit a recording in time, you will be disqualified and your opponent will advance.
~If there is a draw, both contestants go through. If the finals are a draw, we shall have a second round for the finals. If it's still a draw then, we'll ask the finalists from last round who they liked. If they tie too, it's another tie.
~All of the duels are decided by popular vote. Every match, you and your opponent will get a new thread. Anyone can vote.
~Though again not a genuine rule, common courtesy is to not vote for yourself or your opponent in your duel. In the event this happens, inform me and I shall discount the vote in the official tally.

Like last time, in the first round, if you lost or were disqualified for late entry, you will be allowed to enter in another round. The winners of the "Losers Ball" will play against the winners from round 2 of the official tournament.

~~~ENTRIES~~~

~311ZOSOVHJH
~Bostonrocks
~rocknroll93
~ECistheBest
~Jazzman91
~guitarplaya322
~Jimmy94
~Whitenihilist
~Bender100
~3hta_bryce
~Rocknroll93
~Flyinhigh26
~Vinnie-watt5

Entry/Round 1 submission deadline: July 10th.

Round 1 entry/submission is complete.

As always, enjoy; the primary point of these things is fun, interacting, and hearing other regulars, so let's keep everything friendly and have a good time with this!

Best of luck, and may the best slinger win!
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 14, 2010,
I give this thread the TNfootballfan62 seal of approval.

Now sign up, people!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'm in. let me whip up a blues track
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
hell yeah! im in. ill record somthing over the next week.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I'm disappointed by the no singing rule still going. It's understandable but disappointing; I can't bring myself to record a track for the sole sake of whaling away anymore.
yeah jimmy, i would do vocals as well. a "noodling track" is boring.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Hmm...well, what the hell, if you want to do vocals, sign up, and if the majority of contestants want to be able to sing, then sure, I'm willing to let it in for this round. If not, just drop out, no hard feelings.

maybe each round you make different rules on the recordings for each round?

like say, first round, everyone submits a recording using the same backing track, just a basic 12-bar or 8-bar blues in a certain key, and they're only able to play guitar for that.

then next round, the theme would be like making a "cover", it could be just a straight up cover of a blues based song, or a well arranged cover of any song (if they can make metal or pop music into a bluesy feel, sure). vocals could be optional.

then another round get some creativity, it "must" be an original or something? any backing track is fine, but has to be original. vocals optional.

then when you get to less contestants, maybe pick one "song" and all the contestants make a cover of that song? each grouping in that round could be given different songs? but two that's going head to head should be doing the same song.

or maybe pick one artist, lets say b.b. king, and the contestants must record a song by him, or related to him.

different themes for each round might be cool. as we go deeper into the contest, the theme/rules should get harder/tighter?

i think i wanna be in. but im not in until i submit a track. haha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
maybe each round you make different rules on the recordings for each round?

like say, first round, everyone submits a recording using the same backing track, just a basic 12-bar or 8-bar blues in a certain key, and they're only able to play guitar for that.

then next round, the theme would be like making a "cover", it could be just a straight up cover of a blues based song, or a well arranged cover of any song (if they can make metal or pop music into a bluesy feel, sure). vocals could be optional.

then another round get some creativity, it "must" be an original or something? any backing track is fine, but has to be original. vocals optional.

then when you get to less contestants, maybe pick one "song" and all the contestants make a cover of that song? each grouping in that round could be given different songs? but two that's going head to head should be doing the same song.

or maybe pick one artist, lets say b.b. king, and the contestants must record a song by him, or related to him.

different themes for each round might be cool. as we go deeper into the contest, the theme/rules should get harder/tighter?

i think i wanna be in. but im not in until i submit a track. haha

I'm fine either way, what do you guys want to do with this? Different thing each round or do you just want to do it as always, but with singing available?

it's hard to do that though. the person picking the theme cant be biased for anything. however it can't be so general either.

those themes are what we see on game shows, and one of the themes i mentioned was inspired by american idol.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
As long as I have enough time to be creative I could imagine those creative new rules.
Each way, I'll try what I can submit, so sign me up.
If it's just the discussion singing or not, I would prefer to allow singing.

Edit: But you should make the rules clear before the duels start, so everyone knows what he is looking forward to.
Last edited by Jazzman91 at Jun 7, 2010,
yeah, having different "criteria" for each part of the round would be great. having a BB blues off would be sweet! or a or a Johnny Winter Write off.......... ok im going overboard now...

and to solve the Bias problem with chosing... simple. everyone submits a couple of ideas, these are all written down and put in a hat and drawn at random. my mother on another forum (nothing to do with guitar) run contests and that is what she does. and so the choice isn't biased she gets another family member to draw it.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

^^
The random draw sounds good; only danger I see is that there will be lots of "criterias" that limit to a lot of different artists. If there is one round limited to BB King or SRV it's okay, but for each round it will be boring.
Round Themes/Criteria = shit
no go. defeats the purpose of the exercise. I don't wanna sit through 4 minutes of some nobody trying to be BB King. That's why we didn't impose them previously. It shits on creativity. If someone wants to cover BB King, they can do so.
Hmm...well, how about we go with a traditional round for the first round like we've always done, then we test the theme idea in the Losers Ball?

ALso, after thinking about it, let's let some people sing if they wish, see where we go with that.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 8, 2010,
sweet then. Im in. now what should i sing? or can I upload a track that I recorded the other night?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

I'd love to join. might wait a little while. Im all for it though.

Edit: I have decided to just put something in here. hope you guys are entertained.

sent by PM
----------------------
good times

---------------------------

-- A.L.W.--

----------------------

when you just get tired of all the effects and riffs.

Last edited by Bender100 at Jun 13, 2010,
Keep the entries coming guys, let's see jus throw many we can get! Also remember the entry deadline is also the track submission deadline, so start working on those songs!

If I had a means to record, I'd probably sign up, but as it is, I'll make sure to vote/comment on the entries this time, as I'll have plenty of time by the time it starts.

Never got round to commenting last time.
I was wondering, do you mind if i just improvise on my vids if i join? I dont construct solo's, i just improvise alot.

Also, its gonna be recorded from my ipod nano camera and then onto youtube, if it aint too much of a problem. If none of them are a problem then im in, and if it aint too late. I lurked the last 2 blues duels, i dont think i'll fail as bad as some people did.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by Regibald
If I had a means to record, I'd probably sign up, but as it is, I'll make sure to vote/comment on the entries this time, as I'll have plenty of time by the time it starts.

Never got round to commenting last time.

Don't worry mate, the competitors can't get anywhere without the voters, everyone is important to make it work!

Quote by vinnie-watt5
I was wondering, do you mind if i just improvise on my vids if i join? I dont construct solo's, i just improvise alot.

Also, its gonna be recorded from my ipod nano camera and then onto youtube, if it aint too much of a problem. If none of them are a problem then im in, and if it aint too late. I lurked the last 2 blues duels, i dont think i'll fail as bad as some people did.

Improv isn't a problem at all. As Jimmy said, it's a massive part of the blues, especially modern blues. Same with the camera; As long as we can hear it, then no complaints from me, and as long as that's cleared you're free to enter!

Im in then.

Not sure how to PM people, so i'll just post the link in this thread if its ok.

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Im in then.

Not sure how to PM people, so i'll just post the link in this thread if its ok.

You can PM now via the profiles. Click on his name, add him as a friend (hopefully he'll accept you ), and you can easily access his profile from yours to send him a message.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6GQb5KDPE

Just recorded it not too long ago. hope it aint too late, it may still be processing a bit too.

Edit:
if u notice, yeah im stoned in the vid. whatever though.

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Jun 19, 2010,
Quote by vinnie-watt5

if u notice, yeah im stoned in the vid. whatever though.

I never would've noticed
Come on guys, nine more days until submission and entry for round one ends, lets see some more!

track is up in my profile. BB king - the thrill is gone.

ROCKNEDIT: should you have paired people up? not just had random names in a list but put people into duos?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Last edited by rocknroll93 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by rocknroll93
track is up in my profile. BB king - the thrill is gone.

ROCKNEDIT: should you have paired people up? not just had random names in a list but put people into duos?

I don't want to pair everyone up then get someone on the second to last day who kills on his first take, and then have nobody for him to match up with, pairs are going to be set up on the 10th as well.

oh ok. as long as it works I spose. just seemed a little odd as I was used to having pairs right from the begining.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Count me in! I was wondering when I would see this feature again. My entry is in my profile, "The Cyborg Blues", in case you've ever been curious about what T-Bone Walker would sound like if he was an automaton.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
I hope I can really get something recorded, I've got two gigs next week. But for a small jam it will hopefully be enough time.
IM in, link below.

link-SOLO
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Last edited by 3hta_bryce at Jul 10, 2010,
Page 1 of 2