picking up new gear is getting boring isn't it. it bores me to see another mesa NAD or orange NAD. some nice gear is getting acquired, but lets see the interesting stuff. How do you get to be the guy who gets interesting stuff? patience. and scrutiny. knowledge, opportunity. luck.

Case Study One: Things Sitting Around. had this thing from a friend for years, acts up, it's nothing special.

so we decided to harvest it, maybe something cool inside? well, with the knowledge that big jam was a new york ciry dealer who had his designs made by a third party in japan in the mid to late 70's then you may be able to guess what may be inside a 70's pedals from japan. 2SC style op amps, of course, they aren't anything too special though, what else was in there?

few old TS808 style op amps huh (from what i remember i think so)? people pay stupid redic prices for em. sound good too. looks like germanium diodes too. they are old so that isn't going to well for em, as their structures tend to cleave in a particular way after time. but still cool. bunch of panasonic style caps and a few old transistors too.

Score: unique cool old components. gonna make a couple cool old pedals outta that. that is enough germanium diodes for a few od pedals there.
these are the components that boutique buys are charging you out the butt for and it cost nothing but time a desolder braid.

Case Study Two: Jump on Once In A Lifetime Chances, this one is cool, and i plenty like it. i think it is an early 70's marshall cab, it def has an 18" cerwin vega. nice. huge projection monster that turns a room into a speaker box. please do not look directly at it, as it may make you[/min] blind with jealousy.

it is my bass rig right now, 8 ohm, 1x18. need to pair it with a 4x10. haven't totally decided on the head to power the 1x18 yet, but the music man 130hd is holding it down well enough now.

Score: rare old-skool score that enables a Vol-Tronesgue equivalent of bass firepower. is it overkill? absolutely. necessary? not at all. but you should hear it, omfg. a local acquire for 400 usd is not too bad of a justification either. Them: "Take it, it takes up too much space.". Me: "Ok".

Case Study Three: Vigilant Watch/Knowledgeable Buy i walk into my fav shop. he goes 'we gotta jaguar', 'it has all the orignal hardware', it has no paint job, in pieces, and no pickguard. also had big gouges in the wood for big humbuckers... interesting. May 23, 1963 on the butt of the neck, '1500 out the door'. "damn you tom, where's the pickups anyway?".

Tom: "oh, them... they aren't stock, i am gonna call up fralin and get a couple custom wound stock pups"

Me: "cool, so what pickup did he route the body out for?"

Tom: "oh, these things. The Keith Richards Pickups"

i see them from a distance, omfg. that just looks like a unicorn, they aren't really...

Me: "Let me see those"

august '75... it becomes hard to think because of all my blood is engorging my sexual member. before the feeling to faint passes, i say:

Me: "Seth Lover Telecaster Deluxe pups"

Tom: "Yeah, Keith Richards pickups"

he wanted 150 for the pair. patience wins

Score: patience wins, rare Seth Lover cunife (copper, nickel, iron alloy) wide-range pickups. total score, i have been looking for these for year and years. run for about 200 a piece on ebay.

now you are ready to go and catch some of your own unicorns, go and get em, then show them on UG
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 6, 2010,
18" driver? Maybe a PA speaker from the days when Marshall dabbled in PA's. I should imagine that would make it rather valuable if sold in the right place.

Nice score
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I totally agree. Too many people seem to prefer a quick trip to Guitar Center over holding onto your money for a month or two and finding something special.

Cheers! and HOST (happy old stuff day)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
zomg you has too much gear
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror

zomg, i don't know if that is funny or ironic... i am leaning towards ironic.

hey min, i buy pups that i won't ever sell again. how many bareknuckles have you turned over?

i love picking at you. when you gonna stop hunting 'big game' and start hunting unicorns?

to tell truth, i am tempting you just to see what kinda vintage stuff you'd turn up.

-ae
i see some vintage some but I don't know whether it's good or not so I dunno whether I should buy it or not. I mean I know the obvious stuff. Pafs, etc etc etc.

Ha! I've only sold one pair of bareknuckles. That's only cuz I did it wrong the first time.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Oh, and those chips are the same as tubescreamers. The original 808 chips everybody spanks the monkey over were JRC4558, the JRC bit is just the manufacturer, heaps of people made 4558's. I'm not convinced there's a lot of difference between the majority of them tbh. NEC ones like yours should be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If those germanium diodes are any good they will sound sweet in an od or fuzz. I've got a couple in a fuzz I built and it sounds awesome.

Dunno much about the cab or pickups but they sound like a pretty good find from your description.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
If I can play with yours you can play with mine

This is really cool
Well done
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wide Range buckers!

It's cool that you were actually looking for those pickups! I would have flipped 'em for a healthy profit.
Nice cab! I'm more interested in the '63 Jaguar, what happened to that?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, and those chips are the same as tubescreamers. The original 808 chips everybody spanks the monkey over were JRC4558, the JRC bit is just the manufacturer, heaps of people made 4558's. I'm not convinced there's a lot of difference between the majority of them tbh. NEC ones like yours should be fine.

yup, different brands, i am sure it will sound good too.

If those germanium diodes are any good they will sound sweet in an od or fuzz. I've got a couple in a fuzz I built and it sounds awesome.

Dunno much about the cab or pickups but they sound like a pretty good find from your description.

we got excited when we found germanium in there. and the cab and pups are very good.

duuuude those bigjam pedals are rare

nice scores!

i feel horrible for harvesting it, but it had a number of things going against it. the main thing was the pedal itself wasn't that good. they are rare, but not really overly good and def not sought after (although i would like to get the mini leslie they put out). i don't like the fact they use cheaper sliders instead of nice pots, they cut corners. cool pedals though, the on/bypass switch was nifty. i want to reuse the chassis in homage to it.

Wide Range buckers!

It's cool that you were actually looking for those pickups! I would have flipped 'em for a healthy profit.

I Know! THE REAL ONES! too sweet, and so random. i chalk it up to luck and knowing what they were when presented with the opportunity. very happy. were cutting a piece of plexi now to mount it into 'something' to hear them for a bit, cuz i don't actually have a deluxe right now (and that is about all they fit into)

Nice cab! I'm more interested in the '63 Jaguar, what happened to that?

well the problem was, i already bought a '54 gretsch amp and a 04 SC with ebony fretboard a couple weeks before. then i got the 1x18 and the wideranges, i just couldn't justify the jaguar too. my buddy just got a '69 SG with a trem setup (the one before the bigsby's, rare). so we couldn't really snag the jag. it needed some work, and we could've done it, but... you can't get them all.

-ae
^^Ah, what can you do, something great always pops up when you can't quite justify the expense. Still, congrats on all this.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
so gumbi, what are your plans for the chips? i know you said make a couple pedals out of them, any specific pedals in mind that you want to clone?
Quote by gregs1020
so gumbi, what are your plans for the chips? i know you said make a couple pedals out of them, any specific pedals in mind that you want to clone?

not yet, we'll probably do a TS808 clone, just because it is one we haven't messed with yet. you have anything really cool to make with them? we have a ross flanger that is filled with em too (they're the motorola ones)

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
not yet, we'll probably do a TS808 clone, just because it is one we haven't messed with yet. you have anything really cool to make with them? we have a ross flanger that is filled with em too (they're the motorola ones)

i'd do the 808 too. i don't use a bunch of effects really so i can't honestly say. reverb and od, occasionally chorus but that's about it. if you need any gutshots of an old ts808 let me know. i can tear mine apart again.
appreciate that, i think my buddy 'has a plan' though... that means he designed something that has an 808 in there somewhere.

-ae
UPDATE.

the seth lover pickups sound quite wonderful. we... arranged something... to test em

old Lead I, we reattached the neck.

added a volume knob and jack and ran ground.

that is a CD case from a band promo ep btw. classic. it sounds a little bright now because we are using 500K pots, we are gonna add a resistor in parallel to help correct this. maybe add another CD case and mount the other pup too.

i am happy i get to play them so soon. i'll update again later

-ae
That guitar is now the punkest thing I have ever seen. Even beats my buddies beer-box pick guard
yeah, makes me wanna play minutemen riffs.

-ae
nice on the 1x18 cab! I've got an Acoustic 1x18 myself, although the Cerwin Vega that was in it was completely shredded. HNSD!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
hahaha, wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotta love vintage finds. Good stuff gumby.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212