I want to start up a little recording studio using some software like cubase and a laptop.

What exactly do you need? With a budget of £300 i cant spend too much

Dont i just need,

1. A mic- http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=shure+recording+mic&hl=en&aq=f

2. cubase- http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=12406

3. an audio interface- http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=computer+audio+interface&hl=en&aq=f
Last edited by BKMC at Jun 6, 2010,
A mixer can also be useful, unless there is a virtual mixer in the program you'll be using. It does the job done too, I just find it easyer to use a real mixer.

Also if you want a pure sound don't use an electronic amp, it makes the tone sounds fakish and poor. Even when a tone sound great for jamming, while recording you can really know the real quality of your tone.

And if you want to look at it, I suggest the Shure sm-57 for the mic. It does the job done really well and cost 115 $ ( CAN ) ... it's about £57 if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck in your recording.

PS : PM me if you have any question. I don't know alot about recording but our guitarist know this pretty well.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Last edited by bender424 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by bender424
A mixer can also be useful, unless there is a virtual mixer in the program you'll be using. It does the job done too, I just find it easyer to use a real mixer.

Also if you want a pure sound don't use an electronic amp, it makes the tone sounds fakish and poor. Even when a tone sound great for jamming, while recording you can really know the real quality of your tone.

And if you want to look at it, I suggest the Shure sm-57 for the mic. It does the job done really well and cost 115 $ ( CAN ) ... it's about £57 if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck in your recording.

PS : PM me if you have any question. I don't know alot about recording but our guitarist know this pretty well.

There's lots of great amp modellers out there. I doubt you would know the difference between a revalver mkIII tone with loads of plugins and the real deal. You just gotta experiment a whole deal (or find a good patch LOL).
But what exactly do you wanna record? Guitar only I presume? Theres loads of cheap interfaces out there - you just gotta hook up your guitar to the computer somehow or buy a direct input box to record the signal straight from your guitar to pimp it up later using some free guitar amp plugin or get it reamped or summit.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 6, 2010,
Get Behringer XM8500 mics, they're dirt cheap but sound really good, easily in the same league as the Shures, and they're good quality too. Also Firewire interfaces are generally better if you want to be able to record multiple instruments at once, but more expensive of course.
Fender Lite Ash Strat MIK
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
Vox AD30VT
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
There's lots of great amp modellers out there. I doubt you would know the difference between a revalver mkIII tone with loads of plugins and the real deal. You just gotta experiment a whole deal (or find a good patch LOL).
But what exactly do you wanna record? Guitar only I presume? Theres loads of cheap interfaces out there - you just gotta hook up your guitar to the computer somehow or buy a direct input box to record the signal straight from your guitar to pimp it up later using some free guitar amp plugin or get it reamped or summit.

Well it may depend on what we're trying to achieve, but I can only get the sound I want with a tube amp. with the electronic there is missing the power of the plam mute, which I appreciate alot. For the lead both can do the job for me, but for the rythm, I prefer to have, and to feel, the real power of the tube.

I still havn't checked out the transistor amp, I've heard they're very similar ( sound-wise ) to the tube amp, and also alot better then the electronic amp. I don't know which of these you were talking about.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by bender424
Well it may depend on what we're trying to achieve, but I can only get the sound I want with a tube amp. with the electronic there is missing the power of the plam mute, which I appreciate alot. For the lead both can do the job for me, but for the rythm, I prefer to have, and to feel, the real power of the tube.

I still havn't checked out the transistor amp, I've heard they're very similar ( sound-wise ) to the tube amp, and also alot better then the electronic amp. I don't know which of these you were talking about.

I'm talking about plugging your guitar into the computer and changing the sound of it using amp modellers youve downloaded off the net. I'm not talking about micing a transistor amp like a marshall MG with a mic or anything. Micing a guitar amp is actually harder than you might think, but it's a useful skill to have anyways.
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 6, 2010,
Im looking to mic up my vox record my song into to cubase and then add vocals and drums.
A good Large Diaphragm condenser mic can do quite a bit from vocals down to drum overheads.
The Rode NT1A is outstanding but if you are limited in budget, look into the Studio Projects B1 which also comes with a very nice shock mount.

But yea, in the end all you really need is a mic, software, and a good audio interface with the amount of inputs you intend to use.

I suggest looking into the M-Audio Fast Track Pro or PreSonus Firestudio Project for smaller interfaces.

The Behringer XM8500 mics are fair, I've used them in the past but the Shure SM57 and SM58 still win in sound quality hands down.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by twat
Get Behringer XM8500 mics, they're dirt cheap but sound really good, easily in the same league as the Shures, and they're good quality too.

No, they aren't.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Ive already tried the XM8500 they were awful they pop crackled and felt and sounded cheap.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I'm talking about plugging your guitar into the computer and changing the sound of it using amp modellers youve downloaded off the net. I'm not talking about micing a transistor amp like a marshall MG with a mic or anything. Micing a guitar amp is actually harder than you might think, but it's a useful skill to have anyways.

Yeah I was talking about micing the amp. I personaly think it give a more powerful soun, but it's all subjective. It's what I'm doing with my band and we are very close to the sound we want, but our tone that came out of the amp ( miced or no ) just suck. That's more about having a good tone then being able to capture the sound correctly.

Has for the line in plug-in, I realy like the tone it give for the lead, but has I said, the palm mute power are a bit poor.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir