Hi Guys,

Q#1
How do locking tuners work?

Q#2
Do they hurt the strings?

Q#3
Do they really help the guitar stay in tune? If yes, for how long?

Q#4
How much is a nice locking tuner?

Thx guys. Rock on.
1. The hold the string tight at the nut so they can't be loosened or tightened and thus won't drop out of tine.

2. No, not as far as I know, but I'm no expert.

3. Yes, but only if the strings are fully stretched properly (a mistake I make a lot xD) and if everything is set up right. If everything is set up correctly then the guitar can stay in tune for weeks/months even...

4. I don't know, I've never bought them, they just come with guitars that have locking tremolos. That's essentially what they are for, to hold your strings in tune when you're using crazy tremolo techniques. If you don't have a tremolo like a floyd rose or a knock off of some sort, then you shouldn't need locking tuners.

Cheers.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
VVolverin3, thats a locking nut, not locking tuners

1- They stop the string slipping at the tuner. Different brands have different locking mechanisms

2- No, but if you arent careful you can over-tighten some (Gotohs) and break the strings

3- Yes, especially if you have a trem system, they stop string slippage which can cause tuning stability problems

4- From $50-100 for a decent set. Usually, the more you pay the better quality they will be.
Locking tuners are great i have them on my LTD it's just the standard TOM bridge which would stay in tune fine, But with locking tuners you can change a string so easily and it will stay on tune fine wihtout having to worry about "Did i restring it shit or good this time?"

And for $50-100 well worth the price imo.
Quote by VVolverin3

4. I don't know, I've never bought them, they just come with guitars that have locking tremolos. That's essentially what they are for, to hold your strings in tune when you're using crazy tremolo techniques. If you don't have a tremolo like a floyd rose or a knock off of some sort, then you shouldn't need locking tuners.

Cheers.

check out the ESP LTD EC-1000.. it has no floyd and has locking tuners
Quote by rock0n247
thx. do i need a trem system also? I wont use a tremolo.

You can put locking tuners on any guitar. They're really good if your guitar has trouble staying in tune the way it is.
Quote by rock0n247
thx. do i need a trem system also? I wont use a tremolo.

Are you talking about a locking nut, or locking tuners?

A locking nut will come on "any" guitar with a floating tremolo, and locks the strings at the nut, so they can't move at all at and behind the nut, because the nut and the machine heads are the two places that cause the most trouble with tuning stabilaty. Also, since a locking nut clamps down on the strings to lock them in place, it makes them go a little sharp, just like when you fret a note with a lot of pressure, it will go out of pitch. So each Floating trem is equipped with fine tuners, which are little knobs on the bridge that can raise or lower the tuning of the pitch slightly, to compensate for the nut making the string go slightly sharp.

Locking tuners, on the other hand, are tuners that have clamps on them. You thread the string through the machine head, and turn the clamp, and it locks the string into place. They can increase tuning stability and make string changes simple and fast, though you can get the same tuning stability from normal tuners if you string the guitar right.

I feel like that was to complicated an answer for this...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Jun 6, 2010,
Okay yeah I was talking about a locking nut.... my bad. XD
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
so wait a minute, SO I CAN RESTRING MY GUITAR IN A WAY SO IT WILL STAY IN TUNE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME and have the sae effect of a LOCKING TUNERS!??!?!
Last edited by rock0n247 at Jun 6, 2010,
If your guitar doesn't have any kind of vibrato bridge (i.e. it's a hardtail/fixed bridge) and you restring the guitar properly, there is no need for locking tuners. I've got guitars that don't have locking tuners that have had the same strings on them for over two years and they still stay perfectly in tune no matter how long I play. But then, I am perfection incarnate and I restring my guitars properly. There is a stickied thread at the top of this board that explains in detail how to restring your guitar properly without needing locking tuners. Follow that and you'll be set.

If you do have a vibrato, like a traditional Stratocaster bridge, and you only use it occasionally or only lightly then I would say stick with non-locking tuners, just restring the guitar properly. If you have a bridge like that and you want to go crazy with it, get locking tuners. If you have a fully floating bridge (some Wilkinson designed bridges and some modern Strat bridges), get locking tuners. If you have a floating locking bridge (Floyd Rose, Edge, etc) then you'll just use a locking nut, and what tuners you have don't really matter. Some odd guitars are made with a Floyd Rose and no locking nut, in which case you need locking tuners, but those are very rare to find.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If your guitar doesn't have any kind of vibrato bridge (i.e. it's a hardtail/fixed bridge) and you restring the guitar properly, there is no need for locking tuners. I've got guitars that don't have locking tuners that have had the same strings on them for over two years and they still stay perfectly in tune no matter how long I play. But then, I am perfection incarnate and I restring my guitars properly. There is a stickied thread at the top of this board that explains in detail how to restring your guitar properly without needing locking tuners. Follow that and you'll be set.

If you do have a vibrato, like a traditional Stratocaster bridge, and you only use it occasionally or only lightly then I would say stick with non-locking tuners, just restring the guitar properly. If you have a bridge like that and you want to go crazy with it, get locking tuners. If you have a fully floating bridge (some Wilkinson designed bridges and some modern Strat bridges), get locking tuners. If you have a floating locking bridge (Floyd Rose, Edge, etc) then you'll just use a locking nut, and what tuners you have don't really matter. Some odd guitars are made with a Floyd Rose and no locking nut, in which case you need locking tuners, but those are very rare to find.

So if i buy a tele, do i need the locking tuners?
I think tuners are the thing which can give you the perfect tunes by the string and you don't have to worry for the sleeping of the string and all that. Basically it is good for the beginners who don't have the habit of perfect playing. So basically good thing for the new players and yes, its not harmful for the guitar.
Quote by rock0n247
So if i buy a tele, do i need the locking tuners?
You certianly do not ''need'' them. If you learn how to restring the guitar properly, a Telecaster will have no problem staying in tune with regular tuners.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have never gone back from locking tuners. Much better tuning stability in general and a lot less fuss when re-stringing. They're not exactly essential, but if you're splashing...
I honestly don't notice much of a difference at all between my locking tuners and regular ones. They don't perfectly stay in tune for days like people say. I guess they're better if your downtuning. But if your not downtuning a lot there is really no point in getting them, and I don't really tune lower than D Standard, most of my playing is done in Standard. Sometimes Drop d but thats about it, so they really don't go much for me. The only thing I like is that the ones I have (planet waves) actually cuts the end of the string off for you. Making changing strings really fast. I can change my strings in like under 10 minutes with ease.
i have them on my strat deluxe, i also have a strat with regular tuners.

i find the main difference is that it's so much quicker and easier to change strings. as long as non locking tuners are strung correctly there is no difference in tuning stabliity.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i have them on my strat deluxe, i also have a strat with regular tuners.

i find the main difference is that it's so much quicker and easier to change strings. as long as non locking tuners are strung correctly there is no difference in tuning stabliity.

This, but if you do buy locking tuners, watch out for jerks, cause all it takes is a little twist and you have a useless E string and a pissed of guitarist...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...