Hey guys so recently my friend bought an Acoustics Strat-shaped guitar

so he said the cleans were pretty nice but ther's no gain for distortion stuff

so he wants to change the pickups and is looking toward the Tex Mex set

i thought of may be GFS pickups?? any models??

he wants the guitar to be able to do some higain stuff.. well also preserve the cleans

may be swap the bridge pup only???

ahh anyways im open to suggestions
I dont know about the GFS singles, but i can definately reccomend the Tonerider 'city limits' set. cheap, on the hot side for singles and great tone. personally, i've had a few different humbuckers from GFS and Tonerider, and i've liek the Toneriders a little bit better on all occasions.
You don't get gain from pickups.

I get some good distortion from my vintage output single coils anyway.
well that's true! but we dont need to be picky here! what i meant is the output of pups! with low output many distortion pedals won't give any difference than the clean sound.
and also some pups will just be unable to handle the higain solos well!

errm i dont know the amp well whatever it is he said neither DS-1 nor DO-20 he has did any good. . . i dont see how the amp would matter here... i think the pups are either too low or just not good at all

so the question is! any opinion on Tex Mex Pups or any other single coils?
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well that's true! but we dont need to be picky here! what i meant is the output of pups! with low output many distortion pedals won't give any difference than the clean sound.
and also some pups will just be unable to handle the higain solos well!

errm i dont know the amp well whatever it is he said neither DS-1 nor DO-20 he has did any good. . . i dont see how the amp would matter here... i think the pups are either too low or just not good at all

so the question is! any opinion on Tex Mex Pups or any other single coils?

I find that VERY hard to believe. Clicking on a distortion pedal and having no difference from the clean sound?

And btw low output pups CAN handle high-gain solos...if you listen to any hendrix at all you know what i mean.
Last edited by JayLacelle at Jun 6, 2010,
no, seriously i have tried a couple of old guitars that had some crappy pups throught some overdrive pedals and they made no sense where as i plugged in an Ibanez jem (cheaper model) and it did a nice crunch..

EDIT: oh actually i didnt mean "made no sense" literally! jsut not the distortion it was supposed to give
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Jun 6, 2010,
Wow this thread = epic phailzorz

TS: There is so much b.s. coming from you that I don't even know where to begin correcting then helping you.

First off, when it comes to tone your amp is the most important item in the equation. You could have the greatest guitar in the world and the nicest pedal board that has ever been comprised and if your amp is crap or isn't voiced for what you're wanting to play then you aren't going to be able to get the tone you want.

Second, if you're using a distortion pedal as your main tone then pickups really aren't going to have that big of an effect on the amount of distortion the pedal produces. Sure, you're tone may be a little different from pickup to pickup but the overall level of distortion isn't going to vary that much.

Then we combine one and two. If you have a crap amp or an amp that isn't voiced for what you want to play then a pickup swap isn't going to help much.

a) If he has a cheap SS amp then a pickup swap won't have much of an affect on his tone - transistors do not react to pickups in the same manner as tubes.

b) If his amp isn't voiced for what he wants to play then a pickup swap isn't going to help. The amp is the main source of your tone, pickups just help you fine tune that tone. You aren't going to make a blues amp sound like a metal amp with a pickup swap alone.

/rant
just get single coil sized humbuckers? it'll please your ears im sure.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard