Hi there

Apologies if this is in wrong section.

I have a 40w Fender Hotrod valve amp. This is very good for loud and clean sounds but recently ive been having problems. Even on moderately loud volumes its distorting.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it my valves (tubes if youre American) needing replacing? Or does this happn when youre playing in a very hot room (which I was)?

Any help or advice would be welcome.

B
turn down your volume and tone knobs on the guitar, turn down the eq section all to 12 oclock and tweak the dials from there till you get a crisp tone
at high volumes you inevitably need to roll off the volume and tone knobs a little just to cut down on ear piercing frequencies and clean up.

perhaps the "distortion" you hear is actually bitter frequencies going into your ears.

oh... and one more thing. try recording your loud playing on a mic, then listen back to see if there is really "distortion" like you thought. When you're playing really loud, tendency is for the human ears to play tricks on you because of the overwhelming volume.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Jun 8, 2010,
TS, I doubt you're an idiot, you probably know what distortion is. You could be correct, it could be a bad valve(S).
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Winifred
Hi there

Apologies if this is in wrong section.

I have a 40w Fender Hotrod valve amp. This is very good for loud and clean sounds but recently ive been having problems. Even on moderately loud volumes its distorting.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it my valves (tubes if youre American) needing replacing? Or does this happn when youre playing in a very hot room (which I was)?

Any help or advice would be welcome.

B

i experienced this with a Blues Deluxe RI i had a while back, which is similar to the Hotrod or at least in the same line of fenders(deville, BDRI, hotrod etc) and it started getting dirty really early at one point, recorded it...and it was picked up in the recording. looked in the back and noticed one power tube had vibrated lose and wasnt completely in the socket. fixed the issue for me. but i got rid of it because the cleans were never that twin reverb type of clean.