Hi there

Apologies if this is in wrong section.

I have a 40w Fender Hotrod valve amp. This is very good for loud and clean sounds but recently ive been having problems. Even on moderately loud volumes its distorting.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it my valves (tubes if youre American) needing replacing? Or does this happn when youre playing in a very hot room (which I was)?

Any help or advice would be welcome.

B
what do you mean by moderately loud volumes? clean channels on tube amps will generally overdrive if you turn them up. depends on how far you have it turned up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well yes Im aware of that.

It starts to distort at a volume where it shouldnt, even before 'with a drummer' levels.

Any ideas?
Does it sound like normal tube overdrive, or is it a harsher type of distortion?
It sounds pretty conventional distortion. Quite nice in fact. Just what not a need as I want a loud clean sound.
On clean I typically play at 3 or 4 which is quite loud.

Yes it sounds like I need to replace the valves. Im just hoping its the really hot environment in the prac room when we go to practice and guys play and sweat. I would like to see if its the heat by playing when its cold, but its been bleedin hot here in bristol for ages.
Try pointing a fan at the tubes. But I really doubt the heat in Bristol (I’m assuming UK) is really going to overwhelm the tubes in that amp. People play those things at outdoor shows in Texas, so if hot days impacted the cleans that much, I think Fender would have engineered something different.
It sounds pretty conventional distortion. Quite nice in fact. Just what not a need as I want a loud clean sound.
On clean I typically play at 3 or 4 which is quite loud.

Yes it sounds like I need to replace the valves. Im just hoping its the really hot environment in the prac room when we go to practice and guys play and sweat. I would like to see if its the heat by playing when its cold, but its been bleedin hot here in bristol for ages.
yeah, you might as well try the tubes. you could always try a lower gain preamp tube to increase headroom too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?