Does anyone have one of these?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS8/

I've been looking for a faster and easier (not necessarily "better") way to practice and record guitar with backing tracks. I just saw this in GP maganize and it looks like it has a lot of potential. My current recording setup is a Line6 PodXT hooked up to my computer via USB, where I then play along with an mp3 backing track on the comp, monitoring through headphones (I live in an apartment), recording only the unprocessed guitar, and then postprocessing effects with Line6 Gearbox and piecing everything together in Audacity. It's not that bad of a system, but when I'm also recording video it just gets too complicated and it makes it hard to relax. I also don't like monitoring with headphones when I record, so I'm intrigued by the possibility to get a relatively full sound at low volumes from the speakers, but still be able to plug in headphones easily for late night sessions.

I have a few specific questions but I'm mostly just looking for opinions if anybody's got one, or suggestions on similar products.
Quote by lockwolf
Way too much money for my taste

Same here, I've eyed that product and the M-Audio Black Box but the bang just never seemed enough for the buck in my mind.

I'm sure the first product is nice to have for a different experience however I just can't see spending such a high price for something like that.
As if it wasn't clear enough already:
I'm not asking for opinions about the price.

I can see how much it costs and decide if it's worth it to me. If you think it's too expensive, but have a suggestion for an alternative, I'd be happy to hear it.

Also, the eBand is closer to $350 at other sites, and the PodXT I have now is $300. Do you want to give me shit about "wasting my money" on a PodXT while your at it?

To be even more clear, I have no use for an amp, so this is what I'd be using every single day in place of an amp, as well as having a fast and simple way to record and play along with backing tracks at a low volume. That's why $350 doesn't seem like that much FOR MY SITUATION.
Last edited by van01010100 at Jun 6, 2010,
Heres what I want you to do. First off, keep for Pod XT.

Second, buy one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006

It comes with Pod Farm which is pretty much one of the best amp sims for recording. Also, it comes with some great audio editing software so that you don't have to go through everything that you would with Audacity or the pain of going through the eBand.

Finally, send a check with my name on it for $250 or whatever you'll save since spending $350 on something thats meh when you can get something better for $100 is something you enjoy.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Keep the POd XT. Get pod farm. Dont waste money on the Boss thing. with Pod Farm and the Pod XT you can get some really really really good tones
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks for the legitimate suggestions.. The thing is, I'm not all that demanding when it comes to getting the perfect tone, I'm happy with 'decent' and even happier with 'simple'. I don't want to spend hours tweaking amp tones. Also, I like how the eBand can record, play backing tracks, etc, without having to even touch the comp. Thirdly and most importantly, I want a way to get a full sound at low volume without headphones, which looks like something the eBand was designed to do from the start.

I want to keep my recording setup as simple as possible so I can just plug in and go, instead of opening up software, making sure my computer is within reach of my recording position, etc.

I can't seem to find anything else that can do this all in one package like the eBand, and after watching the Youtube demo video I feel like I could get plenty of good sounds out of it.

I will look into Pod Farm though and see if it could make enough of a difference in simplifying the process to be worth it.
Ok how about this instead:

I get a handheld recorder, something similar to this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BackTrack/

And a splitter cable like this:
http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Set-of-4-Splitter-Cables-F-1-4-to-Two-M-1-4-1-p/say1.htm

And a quality low volume studio monitor.

Then I could route one end of the splitter into the handheld recorder, route the other end into the Pod XT, and send the PodXT output (which would include the backing track via USB) to the monitor. Then I could record quickly and spend as much time as I want later using Gearbox and Audacity to re-record the clean tone w/ effects and mix the backing track. The only problem with this is that I'd still have to start and stop the backing tracks on my computer, which isn't that big of a deal. Anything wrong with this idea?