Hey guys.

after playing one of the best gigs of my life last night, the sound man said we were amazing players we just needed to improve our sound. I have just bought a Hayden mofo so i dont think its the amp. I think i need a range of effects. I wants as little as possably because of a low budget, I play ACDC, Guns n roses, Foo fighters, U2 and velvet revolver kind of music. Could anyone suggest a range a pedals that i should look at? i have very little experience of pedals and effects! thanks paul
Check out pro guitar shop.com - they have awesome demo videos for a large range of good effects. I would steer clear of Boss and Digitech...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
For what you're playing, the only thing you might need, is a chorus pedal and a wah.
If you can't get the distortion sound you want out of your amp, the best thing to do is either get an amp that does, or an equalizer. IMO amp distiortion is always better than pedal distortion.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
On the basis of the stuff you're playing I'd say the key pedals are:

Wah - especially for GN'R/Velvet revolver, generally always fun and can be used for over the top solos, funk rhythms and as a filter to alter a rhythm sound

Boost/Overdrive - more optional really, but can be helpful as a solo boost for added sustain/volume/drive

Delay - pretty critical for U2 stuff, especially Joshua Tree-era. I personally prefer analog to digital

Modulation - Chorus is probably the most generically useful, can be used to add colour to a distorted tone or breadth and depth to a clean sound. I think Dave Grohl and The Edge use Phase as well, but that's more of an acquired taste.

Generally, I'd recommend from my experience that effects/pedalboard-wise, less is more. 3-5 good quality pedals into a nice amp will cover a lot of bases, especially in a live context. Also, mastering the use of the guitar's volume and tone controls (volume especially for cleaning up a distorted amp) are in my opinion probably as if not more important than the use of effects pedals.
i have a gibson les paul Jr. and i run my amp on 3/4 gain and 3/4 mofo. Then 3/4 presence, half bass, little more than half for treble. I was looking at a chorus pedal, and some kind of thing to boost my amps for solos. also the distortion on my amp is. also i cud do with some reverb. any good pedals for that?
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you use the amp's distortion, what other pedals do you need

This. I think you're looking in the wrong place to improve your sound.
What guitar do you use?
Do you have a second guitarist in the band? What does he use?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by handlerb
... I would steer clear of Boss and Digitech...

Hasty generalization is hasty. There are good Boss and Digitech pedals and there are bad ones, as with any effects company.

Back on topic, you mentioned U2. Might I suggest a digital delay to do the Edge thing?
Quote by guitarist gibo
i have a gibson les paul Jr. and i run my amp on 3/4 gain and 3/4 mofo. Then 3/4 presence, half bass, little more than half for treble. I was looking at a chorus pedal, and some kind of thing to boost my amps for solos. also the distortion on my amp is. also i cud do with some reverb. any good pedals for that?

Er, what about mids?

I thought the Mofo was 15-18W. It looks like it's 30W. Sounds good to me.
The Boss CE-2 isn't a bad chorus, I like the EHX Small Stone better. I like really transparent choruses, though, so I'd have to say something like a DOD 460 would be the one that I would want on my board. Perfect for Paradise City intro chorus.

Quote by guitarist gibo
also the distortion on my amp is.
it's what? You didn't finish the sentence...

As far as boosts, depends. I like an upper midrange boost, but some people want flat frequency boosts that don't change their fundamental tone, some people want more gain and distortion...
sorry, my amps is good, but for some songs i cud do with a bit more distortion and gain... nothing insanely metally just a bit more than my amos got.. i run my middle on half aswell. Also could anyone tell me what a good pedal board to buy wud be to put all these pedals on?
another quick question... when putting a tuner pedal in my effect line, when i press the pedal down will the sound be muted whilst i tune?
With most pedaltuners it would yeah. For a pedalboard, just get a plank of wood with some velcro and put your pedals on there unless you wanna blow a lot of money of a pedaltrain or something.