I'm considering buying this amp, so I have some questions. (yes i used the search feature and I just get all threads where the blackstar as been mentioned, and even though I read them all, I couldn't be clarified)

1- Guitar Input
2- Clean Channel Volume
3- Channel Switch (Footswitch'able)
4- Channel Switch Led
5- Overdrive Channel Gain
6- Overdrive Channel Volume
7- Bass EQ
8- Middle EQ
9- Treble EQ
10- Infinite Shape Feature
11- Emulated Output / Headphones
12- Emulated Cabinet Switch
13- Power Led
14- Standby Switch
15- Power Switch

Here's my questions:

2- Clean Channel is pure valve?
5/6- Overdrive Channel has digital gain, or valve gain?
10- ISF, this messes up with the EQ, and with the tone itself, are this digital modelling tones? Also If I put it at 0, is this ISF tone shaping bypassed?
11- Emulated Output, not sure about how this work... this is used only for recording purposes? So I put a cable here, connected it to my M-Audio interface, then from M-Audio to my pc, and I get the amps tone is this it? And I can emulate the cabinets being used?
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Its not a PURE valve amp, but there is nothing digital sounding about any aspect of this amp.

The ISF knob pretty much changes the EQ. With the ISF on 0 you dial in "USA" voicing, with ISF on 5 it is USA/UK blend (or the amps natural tone), and with the ISF on 10 you dial in the UK voice. IMO the ISF isn't that great, and seems to be opposite of USA/UK.
/rig
thank you for your answer man, so there's no way to by pass the ISF option.
but cool, how come it's not pure tube?
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Teque86
thank you for your answer man, about the ISF, it gets bypassed if it's on 0?

No. The ISF is an extension of the EQ, it can't be bypassed. That's like sayinf I turn the treble knob to zero is it bypassed. I *think* that it's a sort of mid shift. Turned to the left it gives the amp an more american character and the the right a more british one.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Neither the clean nor the distortion channels are all tube. Both have analog SS components. It appears that the distortion channel uses clipping diodes in an op amp feedback loop to get dirt.
Quote by fly135
Neither the clean nor the distortion channels are all tube. Both have analog SS components. It appears that the distortion channel uses clipping diodes in an op amp feedback loop to get dirt.

This. Just because an amp uses tubes doesn't mean there are no transistor components being used.

Don't get this confused with digital components though...that's a completely different beast.
2- Clean Channel is pure valve?
5/6- Overdrive Channel has digital gain, or valve gain?

Nobody knows for sure. There are some diodes in front of the tubes; at one time Blackstar has claimed that the diodes are for gain, later that statement was contradicted by a claim that the diodes control current going into the tubes. Regardless, it sounds pretty good.

10- ISF, this messes up with the EQ, and with the tone itself, are this digital modelling tones? Also If I put it at 0, is this ISF tone shaping bypassed?

ISF is an EQ control that tweaks the mids and bass to sound like Fender on one side and Marshall on the other. There is no bypassing it.

11- Emulated Output, not sure about how this work... this is used only for recording purposes?

It’s for recording or for headphones. It emulates a 1x12 or 4x12, mostly effecting the low end. It’s fairly noisy, so you’ll probably have to use some kind of noise gate/hi-pass filter effect to clean it up when recording.

how come it's not pure tube?

Because this is 2010 and the market for simple all-tube amps is pretty tiny. An all-tube HT-5 would offer nothing more than a Fender champ with a distortion pedal in front of it does.
hmmm, so for an all tube amp, blackheart little giant, voxac4tv. can't decide between all of them..

this ht-5 looks good, sounds good, fx loop...

i mainly want an amp to practise and get good recording sounds.. i don't wanna use pc software... hmmm damn it
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Jun 6, 2010,