yeah so i plan on putting the Gibson humbucker sized p-90 (p94) pickup into my lp studio.
My only question is they make one for the neck position and one for the bridge, does the position effect the tone or anything?
The pickup itself is very much the same but the wiring that comes out of it is routed differently for convenience when you're actually wiring the instrument. I suggest getting the one for the position you wish to install it in, obviously.
I know i should get the position i install it in. lol
i just wasnt sure if the positions themselves would have any effect on tone
There are individual ones for the neck and bridge. But it won't give you a traditional P-90 sound due to the size. You might be better off looking into the P-Rails from Seymour Duncan which would probably give you a more authentic P-90 tone.

edit:
Quote by RadioMuse
The pickup itself is very much the same but the wiring that comes out of it is routed differently for convenience when you're actually wiring the instrument. I suggest getting the one for the position you wish to install it in, obviously.

Wouldn't the wiring be the same since it's a single-coil? It's two-conductor wiring. One his hot and the other goes to the ground. Isn't that how it works? I think neck one would sound different from the bridge. The bridge might be hotter. There's no other reason to differentiate between the two of them unless one is reverse-wound to cancel out hum.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 6, 2010,
No, the P-Rails is even less of an original P-90 tone. That said, the SD Phat Cat is closer to original P-90 tones than the P-94 is, and it's a bit cheaper too. But yeah, just because of the sheer size difference, no humbucker-sized P-90 is going to sound exactly like an original P-90. Also original P-90s used Alnico III magnets while the Phat Cat uses Alnico II and the P-94 uses Alnico V (of the two, the Alnico II is closer in tone, hence the Phat Cat being the btter choice).

As far as neck vs bridge go, yes, there is a difference in tone. A bridge pickup is wound to handle the smaller vibrations and naturally brighter tone of the strings near the bridge (this usually means being over-wound with more output to make up for the smaller vibrations and more windings rolls out more treble, helping neutralise the bright bridge tone) while a neck pickup is wound to handle the natural tone of the strings at the neck position better (this normally means being under-wound so the pickup isn't overpowered by the much larger vibrations at this position). It is important to get the right pickup in the right position. A bridge pickup put in the neck position will create a horrific muddy mess while a neck pickup in the bridge position will be too weak and won't react properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I just looked at the SD Phat cat with that pick up does it matter which position i install it in?
Yes. Same as I just explained.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.