I wanted to try create a super basic song from a basic riff, this was just like a challenge for myself, which is why continuous bouncy riff idea is throughout the song but i thought i created something pretty cool once i started adding some layers to parts and what not.

I guess it would have lyrics if i ever got around to recording it and found someone who can actually write decent lyrics (that person is not me )

P.S. I know bars 61/62 possibly sound funky. I was just experimenting but I'll probably change it back to 5ths/6ths.
Attachments:
Simple Ballad.zip
Coolio Tell your sister thanks
Last edited by 21Fretter at Jun 8, 2010,
i actually really like the texture of those chords in 61/62, considering the sort of chords the rest of the song uses.

i feel like that bouncy riff should be played by something other than guitar...maybe keyboard, maybe horns...and harmonize/play chords in parts of the riff
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
@wannabe_punk: i actually really like that idea of changing the bouncy riff instrument, i think a keyboard would work nicely. I'll play around with it and see what i come up with
I like it a lot, very catchy! I would agree with 'wannabe_punk', stick the bouncy riff on another instrument and keep the distorted rhythm guitars in the back.
Maybe add a bridge, with another key? Seems a tiny bit repetitive at the moment, and that would really lift it to another level

Well done!
AJ
@ank, i've never really written anything with a key change in it (well not consciously). You got any tips for how i would go about it? i.e. what's the formula for a finding a key change that works nicely, if there is. Is it kinda like the same rules as harmonizing (if you're in C major, give G major a whirl (the 5th of C))? Or is it just moving into parallel minors as stuff like that. P.S. Thanks :P

I think it's about time i learn to use theory properly in writing :P Like i know basic theory but I've never really known how to implement it.
I would usually just get my guitar or piano out (not literally!) and play around with random chords until i find something that fits - i'm in the same position as you in terms of theory implementation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation_(music) This is where I usually go for help on key changes, but sometimes it gets a bit confusing... it comes with time.

You've just got to be sure that the key change isn't too sudden - it needs a good transition.

Good luck!
AJ

P.S. C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323721