So, I'm in the market for a new amp and I have a number of ideas as to what to get but still have many questions.

My current equipment is a Marshall AVT100, Boss OD-2, Boss DD-3, Strat, Tele, Epi Les Paul Ultra.

First off I suppose I should say what kind of stuff I play eh? Well I need great cleans for most rhythms, I use lots of colorful jazz chords with tons of syncopation, kind of funky. The leads I play are...how to describe it? I guess kind of like Alex lifeson, Santana, Clapton and Trucks, very bluesy but with a fair amount of distortion and singing sustains with just a little bit of shred. I also play a lot of slide guitar, so anything needs to sound good with that. Lastly I love me some mids, my distortion always has to be super THICK.

So the first amp I'm thinking of is the Fender 65 Deluxe reverb reissue because I really love nice bluesy tones and from what I hear this one has them in spades (plus I used to play a fender 65 twin during guitar lessons and loved it). Now there are a few concerns I have about this amp (obviously I haven't tried it in person yet), first off at 22 watts I'm worried it won't be loud enough to play along with drums (especially with drummers who don't know about dynamics) especially if I want to keep it clean, how much headroom does it have? Another concern for this amp is that it won't be able to sing with tons of distortion ala Marshall, I really need the hard overdrive and sustain for many of the lead parts I play, I'm thinking of getting a tonebone Classic or tonebone hot british pedal (the mid boosts would be useful for me) to go along with it (I'll also be using my boss od-2 for lighter distortion) any comments on those pedals would also be appreciated.

My second potential amp is a Marshall Dsl (I'd prefer a 50 but apparently thats kind of hard to find now so I'd probably have to go with a 100). Now all the demos I've heard of this amp have been people playing metal which I am not really down with. I do love my current marshall and its overdrive which is what makes me think of getting another one. How are the cleans on the dsl and how good is it for blues?

I've thought about the Marshall MA100c 2x12 but from what I've read, this new series of amps is kind of a dud, any opinions out there?

Finally I've been thinking about the Vox AC30C2 2x12, not sure if it would fit my style but I hear good things about it, any opinions on this one?

Thanks for any opinions or help.
22 watts is plenty loud enough to play witha drummer, and you have a od pedal, so you sould be able to get pleny of gain out of a Fender 65 deluxe.

The DSL's are great too. I wish I never sold mine. If you dont mind used you can find the 50 on ebay or craigs list.
what's your budget and what country are you in?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not sure how much clean headroom u could get, but i would probably go with the deluxe reverb since it seems to suit ur style a little better. also if u want some od the rothwell hellbender works really well with the deluxe reverb and gives it a nice modded overdriven plexi tone (think jimmy page). as far as i know the deluxe reverb is awesome for cleans and works really well with pedals which is probably why it is the most versatile so i would choose tht one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget and what country are you in?

Budget I suppose is around 1000-1500 Canadian, and obviously I'm in Canada. (don't really want to go to much more because I still have to pay for school in September)

Quote by rkp1992
not sure how much clean headroom u could get, but i would probably go with the deluxe reverb since it seems to suit ur style a little better. also if u want some od the rothwell hellbender works really well with the deluxe reverb and gives it a nice modded overdriven plexi tone (think jimmy page). as far as i know the deluxe reverb is awesome for cleans and works really well with pedals which is probably why it is the most versatile so i would choose tht one.

Sounding like Jimmy certainly appeals to me , I actually originally planned on getting the FDR but figured I should at least think about other amps. It's okay if its not completely clean, a little bit of break up in the clean is sweet sometimes, adds to the warmth.

Anyone have suggestions of other amps?

Thanks for all the help so far.
if you're in canada take a look at traynors. nice amps, good value. probably ycv40 (more fendery) or 50 (more marshally- supposedly, I've only tried the 40).

I haven't tried the DRRI, marshall ma or newest vox ac30, so i can't really help there...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
K, I'll try out some traynors. Does anyone know how much a rothwell hellbender goes for? Also how much are those traynors?
Last edited by Bear Detective at Jun 6, 2010,
i think they're around about 600-800 dollars in the USA. They're made in canada so might be slightly less (or slightly more as it's a smaller market).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1775420763.html pro reverb $850
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/msg/1774713440.html is this you? lol
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1740614500.html this is nice, $1100

or

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1773518840.html dsl head, $750
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1700993285.html dsl combo $750

agreed on the MA stuff. did not like at all really.

but also these two types of amps are worlds apart in tone. it sounds like you like the fender voicing but you would need a good overdrive to get closer to a driven marshall amp tone.

hope this helped.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1746130149.html there is the 40 watt traynor. very nice amp imo. $540

this is when you say, I'm in Vancouver! lol
Thanks for the links, no that wasn't me. I'm in Ottawa so it's not unreasonable to go to Toronto.
yeah, from what i can remember the traynor ycv40 was like a hot rod deluxe if its od channel didn't suck.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the same issue as you. I have a Marshall TSL122 but I love having access to different sounds. I tried a couple of different multi effects and all of them were colored by my amp, but I got the Digitech RP1000 and if your amp has an effects loop then you can use the four cable method which cuts out your amps preamp and just uses the modeling which is pretty dead on. I paid $400.00 for mine through American Musical Supply...it was a scratch and dent.
How is that TSL for blues? I'm not really interested in effects, my AVT100 has a bunch of effects but I always just leave it on reverb, I prefer a more natural tone.
if you want clean and gain try a used mesa boogie
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Bear Detective
How is that TSL for blues? I'm not really interested in effects, my AVT100 has a bunch of effects but I always just leave it on reverb, I prefer a more natural tone.

tsl is one of the worst marshall amps ever produced stayyyy awayyyy
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Alright I'll steer away from the TSLs. Any Mesa Boogies you recommend for my style and price range?
I just got the DSL 100, and I think you could easily pull of any of those genres. Im a very heavy blues player with a lot of rock influence. It sounds great clean. And has a classic overdrive channel with a real, zep type sound. You can get some great blues tones out of it too
youll need like 80 more bucks though for the conversion
roland AC90

Apparently that auction is down now so I checked on GCs website and that amp seems a little too expensive for me.
in my opinion your amp is fine to wait and save up a bit also try selling your old amp as well to put that money toward a new one it will increase your budget. imo why get something that will do the job ok when you can wait a bit and get a homerun amp
roland AC90

what you need is a Peavey Classic 50! you can get them at a decent price used, and they are only around 900ish brand new. they are USA built, but i think british voiced. some awsome clean headroom, crunch channel is pretty decent, and take pedals well.

older models lack an effects loop, current models have it etc.
Quote by Skagasm
in my opinion your amp is fine to wait and save up a bit also try selling your old amp as well to put that money toward a new one it will increase your budget. imo why get something that will do the job ok when you can wait a bit and get a homerun amp

The only problem with that is that I have to pay for school so saving more money isn't really an option right now, I could wait another year to get one but

It's true my current amp isn't at all bad, in fact I love it but I've had it for about 6 years and am ready to get something better. Selling it is definitely an option but I would rather keep it for a number of reasons, of course if I go to the store and try out an amp I absolutely love that is more than my budget I would definitely sell it.

I'm not so sure about Peavey amps, a friend of mine uses all peavey amps (tube and non-tube) and they sound kind of muddy to me. I'll definitely check it out at the store though.
Last edited by Bear Detective at Jun 7, 2010,
Can someone tell me the real difference between the 410 or the 212 peavey classic 50? Is one louder than the other or do they sound different, something else?
I noticed that a store near me has a used JCM 800 head (not sure what model exactly as it has two channels and metal pole type switches) and a used JCM2000 TSL 100 head for $999 each. Gonna go try those out soon, anyone got comments on those?

http://www.spacemanmusic.com/Amps/Tube%20Amps/
Last edited by Bear Detective at Jun 10, 2010,