Alright guys, here's the deal. After a year or so, I still haven't bonded with my Tiny Terror. It's a nice amp, it's just not the right amp for me. So I'm selling it off. With the local Craigslist market as it is, I've pretty much figured out how much I could get for it.

My question is what should I get to replace it? In my mind, I've narrowed it down to 2 options really: The new Vox AC15 or the recently-discontinued Ampeg J-20. The Ampeg would have to be find used while the Vox, I could afford new. I've heard problems with the Ampeg getting overly bright as you turn it up, but that's the only criticism I've heard.

Your thoughts on these two amps would be wonderful and if you have any suggestions to other amps I should consider, here are my criteria:
*Budget around $600 U.S.
*Tube combo, hopefully 1x12
*Styles of music vary, but mostly based in rock and roll, cleans need not be totally clean (got my bass amps for that)
*Headroom is not the biggest issue as I am not in a band at the moment and these will be used more for recording.

Thanks in advance, UG!
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
I have never played a Vox AC15.

I have, however, played the J-20 and to hear it is now discontinued is quite irksome since I thought it was a very nice, raw amp. I've always been impressed with Ampeg gear, no matter what purpose or price. What a shame.

Anyway, I didn't notice any unwanted brightness when the amp was cranked, but it's not exactly easy to crank a 20 watt valve amp in a busy shop now is it?

I thought it sounded as I said - raw. It actually had a tone reminiscent of the Tiny Terror but with a more bluesy edge and a brighter attack. It didn't quite have the low end "thump" that Orange amps tend to have, which made it more suitable for Strat/Tele/P90 guitars and in a more Southern blues setting.

It could also quite capably hold it's ground with some forms of hard rock, even metal. It has the looseness that the Orange amp has so it's not ideal in any way for modern metal, even with a overdrive pedal. You'd need an awesome distortion pedal to hit metal tones with the Ampeg.

Finally, it doesn't have very much clean headroom. Not that I noticed, anyway. About the same as the TT.

Regarding the Vox, as I mentioned, I have not played one, but I haven't heard very positive things concerning it's tone and quality. Unless you're happy with one I think you might be better off with something else.

How about the Egnater Rebel 20/30 or the new Tweaker? Their amps are stunning and perfect for what you're asking.
Thanks for the Ampeg info. Yeah, now that Loud took over Ampeg, they're concentrating the product line on bass amps. If you go to the Ampeg website, there's a link to the Blackheart page. It makes me sad to say the least.

Also, I've heard baaaaad bad stuff about the Custom Classic AC15s but startlingly good reviews of the newest edition (AC15C1 I believe).

I took a look at the Egnater stuff, but I haven't been able to get enough playing time on one of them to form an opinion. I'm kind of wary of the whole jack of all trades nature that they seem to have though.

Also, awesome avatar. Great movie.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
What about the Jet City JCA20?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks, man. I love the film too.

I'm glad you know what you want. I can really appreciate that. And the fact that you're basing your opinions on personal experience over what we say here is also admirable. That said, if you do find the chance to try something out by Egnater, give them a really good try. I stand by their products totally, and not just for those who need one amp to do it all. I find they suit standard rock the best. They're just really classic, raw and articulate.

I'm pretty sure it's the CCAC15 that I've heard bad thoughts on. I didn't even know they reintroduced the AC15 AGAIN.

Speaking of Blackheart, they are actually a really fun and good company. Their amps are really quite good. I realise they are a bit "boring" and "cheap" (therefore common on UG), but ignoring that opinion you might like them if you haven't already tried them.

Also, take a look into a Laney VC30. It's one of the first kick-ass low wattage amps that could stand up against, and beat, the Classic 30.

A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a nice Overdrive pedal like the Lovepedal Kalamozoo might be a good combo. I bet you could find the Fender for $350 and the pedal retails at $199.

Maybe the new 20 Jet City amp. It's pretty awesome. I've had a good run with it (I bought it purposefully to send it back). Don't tell anyone.

Peavy Classic 30, Peavy Delta Blues, they might be cool for you.
in addition to all the others that have been suggested, also take a look at the traynor ycvs. also maybe the classic 30 (as laneys are a lot more expensive in the US, and peaveys a lot cheaper).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Thanks, man. I love the film too.

* good rec's *

As if I only just noticed your avatar is A Scanner Darkly! I love that movie.

Anywho, all of these are really good suggestions. I'd definitely recommend looking into the Delta Blues, I really like that amp.

Since you're in the US, these might be something worth looking at. You'd need a cab with them but from what I've heard it sounds amazing. You could even look at the 'Lil Mo if you won't need the extra headroom.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
As if I only just noticed your avatar is A Scanner Darkly! I love that movie.

Anywho, all of these are really good suggestions. I'd definitely recommend looking into the Delta Blues, I really like that amp.

Since you're in the US, these might be something worth looking at. You'd need a cab with them but from what I've heard it sounds amazing. You could even look at the 'Lil Mo if you won't need the extra headroom.
Don't beat yourself up about it. Most people don't recognize it until I tell them. And I kinda like that. It makes me seem mysterious.
Thanks for the suggestions, gents. Sounds like it's time to grab my guitar and head to the store in the next few days.

@AngryGoldfish- I've done quite a bit of live and studio work and you get exposed to a lot of stuff in that situation. You don't necessarily remember everything that you like but you sure remember what makes your ears feel like crying and what pleasantly surprises me. I remember the time a guitarist came in with a resonator and one of the unspeakable amps of UG (Hint: I was crushed when I saw it) and had one of the best tones I had ever heard of for his style. That was the day I fell off the bandwagon. Also, I've tried the 5-watt Blackheart and there just wasn't a spark there. Also also on the subject of movies, does your location refer to Fargo perchance?

@Ben- Interesting. I think I might like a little more than 5 watts and the odd tube type is a problem for me as most of my year is spent in the middle of nowhere away from civilization. Still, it's intriguing and I have family in Austin so I might check them out next time I go down there.

@Dave- I have never ever seen a Traynor in person. Ever. That's pretty much the only problem with that plan.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Last edited by walruscore at Jun 6, 2010,
dang
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by walruscore
Thanks for the suggestions, gents. Sounds like it's time to grab my guitar and head to the store in the next few days.

@AngryGoldfish- I've done quite a bit of live and studio work and you get exposed to a lot of stuff in that situation. You don't necessarily remember everything that you like but you sure remember what makes your ears feel like crying and what pleasantly surprises me. I remember the time a guitarist came in with a resonator and one of the unspeakable amps of UG (Hint: I was crushed when I saw it) and had one of the best tones I had ever heard of for his style. That was the day I fell off the bandwagon. Also, I've tried the 5-watt Blackheart and there just wasn't a spark there. Also also on the subject of movies, does your location refer to Fargo perchance?

@Ben- Interesting. I think I might like a little more than 5 watts and the odd tube type is a problem for me as most of my year is spent in the middle of nowhere away from civilization. Still, it's intriguing and I have family in Austin so I might check them out next time I go down there.

@Dave- I have never ever seen a Traynor in person. Ever. That's pretty much the only problem with that plan.
You're on the ball, my friend. I didn't think anyone would notice that. But just to clear this up, I'm not actually from Fargo - though it would be really cool if I was.

Yeah, the new MG is not all that bad. You can still do better for a practise amp, but any bandwagons are stupid, even if they're positive ones.

All the best with your amp search. I know I'm not the best but if you ever need any more help or specific advice, I might just know a few points that you can take with you when deciding.