Hello to all! I have a pickup question for you...

A friend of mine has a Seymour Duncan JB SH4 bridge pickup. He says it's ideal for 80's metal and consequently for me since I play heavy/power stuff (Judas Priest, Virgin Steele, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray etc).

He also told me that this pickup is well suited for a mahogany guitar (which I have - Dean Vendetta 1.0) and I read on the S.D. site that it's also well suited for a rosewood fretboard (which again I have).

According to that info, I believe it's an awesome upgrade and at least it's gonna be better than the "crappy" stock pickup.

What do you guys think?
How to Program a Metalhead ?
how much? i mean, if you're getting it for pretty cheap because he's a mate, it'll probably work, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He says that the brand new pickup costs about 80 euros. Told me to give it to me for 50 euros and of course he'll setup the pickup to the guitar so... I think it's pretty good, since it's about 30 euros to setup at any music shop...
I can't speak to whether it's a good deal, but I would pass on it. It's an okay pickup for E standard, but once you start to detune, it leaves a lot to be desired. It gets muddy fast, is too bassy and lacks definition. I have a DK2M (maple neck, alder body) and I don't like it for more modern metal. Even in drop D, it's muddy. Forget drop C, it only gets worse.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
it's a good pup, just not very versatile and little high treble.

definitely better than any stock pup.

it's better with some amps over others.

but if that's a good price installed, then how can you go wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thomann has it for 71 euro... though i guess by the time you pay postage, yeah, about 80 euro. they have a decent deal on the JB + Jazz set, though, 111 euro.

But yeah, if he's willing to fit it too (and you can't do it yourself), then that's probably a fair enough deal.

also bear in mind what xherion is saying- it's kinda got a tendency to be too bright/have an upper mid spike but yet be muddy at the same time. if you're playing 80s metal tuned to E it'll probably be ok... but yeah if you're tuning down, not so sure on that. Hard to know if you'd get much better without paying more money, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, but DIY. It'll take maybe 20 min.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have these in my Epiphone LP, they sound pretty damn good to me.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Thank you all for your comments. Here's the whole concept; it's my first guitar and it cost 250euros so I don't want anything fancier or better... just a better pickup than the stock I already have. Since I won't be paying for pickup setup, I think it's pretty good hihi!

If I'm correct, in heavy/power metal most of the "heavyness" comes from the bass and double kick, so I don't mind having the extra "grunge" treble has... Plus, I am in Eb right now and I won't be detuning any further so... how muddy could it get right?
The JB is definately recommended, the harmonics i can get out of it is really great, you won't go wrong replacing your stock pup
The JB is a great pup for 80's metal and for warm sounding woods. Though if it's alder the Distortion all the way.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!