Alright, so my bassist is becoming quite a dick. At our last gig, which was yesterday, he goes up to the microphone while I'm tuning and essentially says that my singing sucks. Then, when I go up to him away from the mic to defend my singing abilities, he blatantly attacks my ability to sing. Again. Occasionally we insult each other in jest, but this was not the case at the time.

He has the biggest ego in the entire band. Example: on our Facebook page, he started a discussion called "Coolest Band Member," and he says that it's him, without question.

Anyway, he acts like the band is his, even though I started the band, found all the members, and write the majority of the music. He can't jam or improvise worth sh*t and he doesn't write any music, doesn't write any lyrics, and doesn't even do any backing vocals. He refuses to go to any tuning other than standard or drop d (even then, he won't go out of drop d). He doesn't even own his own equipment. He has to use another guy's bass and amp, he goes through my picks like they're quarters and he's in an arcade, and he has to use my tuner.

We're looking for another singer because I really don't like singing & playing guitar at the same time, mainly because I always get off, and the guy I'm trying to bring into the band is incredibly humble, and I think he'd balance out what has essentially become my side versus the bassist's side. The drummer really has no opinion.

I don't want to kick him out on a whim because the drummer will probably want him to stay (mainly because the bassist hasn't insulted him or he would threaten the drummer), and bassists in my town that aren't total dicks or already in a band are almost nonexistent. I've also known him since middle school. He's going to be leaving in August anyway, and the drummer & I are already trying to find another bassist for when he leaves.

What do you guys think? I'm going to confront him about this at the next practice, but chances are, it won't change anything, and I don't know if I'd be able to tolerate it much longer.
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Talk about it with other friends,
cause they probably know him also and so can give you the best advice
you could always say since you say my singing sucks why don't you have a go, best option realy is to kick him out realy
Explain that there's no I in band... and if he doesn't like your singing he should probably leave the band anyways.
If he gets all huffy, tell him that what he did really upset you and that while you appreciate his honesty, you would have preffered it to have been in private and not on stage because it really hurt your feelings.
This will probably make him cry... so you should take photos and post them on Facebook with the caption 'Who's the coolest member of the band now?'
don;t talk feelings.... he'll probly call you a pussy (if he's as much of a dick as you say he is)... just boot his ass out.
Quote by El Peppers
He's going to be leaving in August anyway, and the drummer & I are already trying to find another bassist for when he leaves.

Then you might as well kick him out now. August is only two months away and it sounds like it's going to be two months of aggravation less.
Wow I didn't have to get past the first to paragraphs to come to the conclusion that you should get rid of him. You don't want someone in the band who is going to bash anyone and go on a big power-trip. It's rude, dis-respectful and essentially embarasses your band and makes you guys look like juveniles.

Let us know how it works out.
Ok, so the bassist is a ****. Kick him out. He's leaving anyway, so he's a liability even if he was good. I don't know what he's doing there still if he's leaving in August.

Otherwise this quote;

Quote by El Peppers
bassists in my town that aren't total dicks or already in a band are almost nonexistent

is not true. Don't blame your location on your inability to find good band members.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by El Peppers
Alright, so my bassist is becoming quite a dick. At our last gig, which was yesterday, he goes up to the microphone while I'm tuning and essentially says that my singing sucks. Then, when I go up to him away from the mic to defend my singing abilities, he blatantly attacks my ability to sing. Again. Occasionally we insult each other in jest, but this was not the case at the time

\and I don't know if I'd be able to tolerate it much longer.

Punch his face on stage? id be super pissed, best thing is probably confront him and if he dosent conform , boot him
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Here's how I would react (they aren't the solution):

- Well about the whole critisizing thing happenening off the stage, between gigs, etc. I would just start insulting and critisizing anything that is making him thing he's a good person and than analysing his ego in the style of Sigmund Freud, making him realise that he is a total loser with a crapy life and no talent what-so-ever, whos just taking his pathetic complexes out on others to fell better and who is gonna become a disaster of a person when he's hormone supplies run out at the end of adolescence.

- About the things that happened on stage, as you desribed, I would go backstage pretending I'm backing off in defeat. There I would wait a couple of seconds so that he would start feeling important and self-concious (because he's a dick), than just run out of nowhere and hit him over the head with my guitar lika a baseball bat, bringing his ego down so hard he'd remember that for every miserable day of his ****in life.

I know that is the oposite of an inteligent solution, but it would work perfectly with my bassist, since he's just a little pussy that is trying to convince himeself that he is awsome by being a dick. As soon as you either make him realise that he's a pussy or if you beat him in a way so straight forward that gets to him, he just starts backing of admiting defeat.

THIS PROBABLY WON'T HELP YOU AT ALL BUT IT WOULD WORK WITH BY BASSIST
IM NOT PROUD OF THE WAY I RESOLVE THESE THINGS BUT THEY'RE THE ONLY THINGS THAT WORK WITH A RETARD LIKE HIM!

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
He's insulting your singing out of jealousy that noone can hear his instrument. Boot him out sir.
Wait a second, your own band member insulted you, to your own crowd, DURING one of your gigs!?

You are a a better man than me for not even throwing him out yet, I would have quite honestly beat him up on stage for that. There is no need for you to be civil or democratic about throwing him out, he not only crossed the line, he leaped over it.

There's no way you can't find someone better than him, someone who can just barely play your songs would be better than someone who insults their own band members during a gig.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Here's how I would react (they aren't the solution):

- Well about the whole critisizing thing happenening off the stage, between gigs, etc. I would just start insulting and critisizing anything that is making him thing he's a good person and than analysing his ego in the style of Sigmund Freud, making him realise that he is a total loser with a crapy life and no talent what-so-ever, whos just taking his pathetic complexes out on others to fell better and who is gonna become a disaster of a person when he's hormone supplies run out at the end of adolescence.

- About the things that happened on stage, as you desribed, I would go backstage pretending I'm backing off in defeat. There I would wait a couple of seconds so that he would start feeling important and self-concious (because he's a dick), than just run out of nowhere and hit him over the head with my guitar lika a baseball bat, bringing his ego down so hard he'd remember that for every miserable day of his ****in life.

I know that is the oposite of an inteligent solution, but it would work perfectly with my bassist, since he's just a little pussy that is trying to convince himeself that he is awsome by being a dick. As soon as you either make him realise that he's a pussy or if you beat him in a way so straight forward that gets to him, he just starts backing of admiting defeat.

THIS PROBABLY WON'T HELP YOU AT ALL BUT IT WOULD WORK WITH BY BASSIST
IM NOT PROUD OF THE WAY I RESOLVE THESE THINGS BUT THEY'RE THE ONLY THINGS THAT WORK WITH A RETARD LIKE HIM!

Surprise attacking someone and using a weapon to win a fight? And you're calling him a pussy? You're a real tough guy, aren't you?
start doing what he does to you to him...i mean hes leaving anyways might aswell get back at him
He deserves to be ****ed with.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by The Arsis
Surprise attacking someone and using a weapon to win a fight? And you're calling him a pussy? You're a real tough guy, aren't you?

Of course Joke.
It's just important that you bring down his ego, it doesnt have to be a run-from-behind-hit-him-over-the-head-with-your-guitar-like-a-base-ball-bat technique. I just like the idea that he suddenly sees half of the crowd looking behind him and than realises that you aren't standing down.

Oooor, like my second off-stage sugestion, but that you start analysing him in front of the crowd. Hmmm, actually that would probably work better because there's a smaller chance of the plan backfire-ing.
(You cant miss him when trying to guitar-bat him and you can't trip and fall off the stage)

But still like the guitar-bat technique.
Gonna have to decide in the future, probably gonna come to this in our band in a matter of weeks.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
When he does it, why not walk up to the microphone and say, "how about you sing this next song" or something. Act likes it's all fun and stuff, don't act like you're pissed off. See how he reacts. Let others see how he reacts too?
If he does nothing else, don't bother kicking him out. He'll be leaving soon anyway, and kicking him out will just cause drama.

If he insults you onstage again though, do everything you can to make him play a dodgy show. 'Accidentally' step on his pedals, unplug his lead, etc.

Or you can just punch him in the face. Physical violence solves everything.
I listened to your band. He has a point about your vocals. Just sayin'. The guy does sound like a complete tool, though. So boot him out anyway. But getting a new vocalist is a good idea.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
how about raping him? certainly would take his ego down a notch or he'd leave anyway
and you get an orgasm win win it seems?

on a serious note kick him out coz no band needs an ego like that and if he continues insulting you on stage no audience is going to respect you also if he's leaving in august you will have to start finding someone else so why not start now?