Page 1 of 2
It's looking pretty much certain I'm going to have a wisdom tooth removed (I'm currently in great pain from it). So I was wondering if anyone here (a dead certain given UG's size) had had this done and what I should expect?

Any help?
There's tons of threads I've seen on this, including one I made a while ago, so you'll probably find more info there.

But I had all four removed at once and it sucked.
It's gonna hurt pretty freaking awfully for 2-3 days and your face will be swollen, but from about 3-4 days afterwords it will start improving.
I was for the most part without pain and able to eat real food a week and a half afterwords.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

It was weird. I wasn't put to sleep because my dad cut dental insurance because we weren't using it... THEN I get wisdom teeth and the anesthetic was way too expensive.

Overall, the worst part was the shots. They hurt pretty bad, but after that, numbness. Pure numbness. The doctor started cutting away in my mouth and I didn't feel a thing except a lot of tugging a bit of popping, but no pain whatsoever.

Actually I lied, the worst part is having to chew on one side of my mouth for 2 weeks.

They gave my painkillers, but I didn't use them because there wasn't even any pain afterwards.

edit:
I love how everyone calls Fassa a troll, then everyone trolls her thread
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 6, 2010,
Pain. Lots of it.
Take the pain pills they give you, no matter what.

EDIT:

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yeah, I've been told I'll look like a hamster...

No, you won't.

... You'll look like a squirrel.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
I had all 4 removed back in '04. The lower ones were so severely impacted that they had to go into the jawbone to get them out. They put me completely under for the surgery. Afterward, they gave me Maxodone for the pain..... which didn't even touch it >.< It was probably a week before I could start eating solid foods and another few days before I could use my back teeth to chew anything. Since then, my TMJ has been a bit better and I don't have the sharp shooting pain that I had been getting daily from the top ones starting to come in.

In retrospect, the couple weeks of pain was well worth it.
Quote by bklinger83
I had all 4 removed back in '04. The lower ones were so severely impacted that they had to go into the jawbone to get them out. They put me completely under for the surgery. Afterward, they gave me Maxodone for the pain..... which didn't even touch it >.< It was probably a week before I could start eating solid foods and another few days before I could use my back teeth to chew anything. Since then, my TMJ has been a bit better and I don't have the sharp shooting pain that I had been getting daily from the top ones starting to come in.

In retrospect, the couple weeks of pain was well worth it.

Owch...>.>

At the moment two weeks of pain and then being pain-free sounds like bliss to me.
Fuck.

I might have to have mine taken out as well.

It's been hurting like hell but I'm not sure what's causing it exactly, so I don't know.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I know it's not very brutal but 'Wisdom Tooth Removal' could totally be the title of a death metal song.

please don't make me laugh, my mouth hurts.
Quote by Doctor Wu
There's tons of threads I've seen on this, including one I made a while ago, so you'll probably find more info there.

But I had all four removed at once and it sucked.
It's gonna hurt pretty freaking awfully for 2-3 days and your face will be swollen, but from about 3-4 days afterwords it will start improving.
I was for the most part without pain and able to eat real food a week and a half afterwords.

This. Really, the most aggravating part is starving to death for a week. I suggest you buy lots of soup, applesauce, ice cream, and anything else you dont need to chew to eat.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by doomded
This. Really, the most aggravating part is starving to death for a week. I suggest you buy lots of soup, applesauce, ice cream, and anything else you dont need to chew to eat.

Reminds me of the time I had 8 teeth removed in one go...I lived on yoghurt for a month.
Quote by doomded

Yes, lots of soft, cold food helps with the swelling too. I ate a lot of ice cream and pudding and jello, drank a lot of milk shakes. I was glad that they were using dissolvable stitches too. Ugh that would have sucked to have to have them removed
my favorite post-removal food is mashed potatoes with the mashed up tuna you find in a can. after a few days, i could eat the tuna by making feeble attempts to chew, then just swallowing whole.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Owch...>.>

At the moment two weeks of pain and then being pain-free sounds like bliss to me.

I really don't think you get how bad this will suck. It's not like your leg hurts or something, it's your mouth.
You can't brush, teethers get all nasty. Pain pills don't do much but make you itch like crazy.
You can't talk or eat, and once you do there's these huge ass pockets for months that food gets into.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

the worst part is the needles you get before they pull them out. oh, and not being able to eat solid food for a day or so.
maybe your face will swell, maybe it won't. maybe it will be painful, maybe it won't. it depends. but either way, it'll be fine for most people after 2 or 3 days.
the most important thing is to cool it, with an ice pack or something, my dentist recommended 20 minutes of cooling/ 20 minutes no ice pack/ 20 minutes cooling and so on for the first 2 days...
hang in there, it's not that big of a deal. my face didn't swell and it wasn't too painful, either.

lol i can't believe how many people here were nearly dying from it... was i lucky? ;D
Last edited by DonJulio at Jun 6, 2010,
i had one wisdom tooth removed in 1984.

the dentist who did it was a total a**hole and i still suffer from pain at times 26 years later.

moral: make sure your dentist is a good guy
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I know it's not very brutal but 'Wisdom Tooth Removal' could totally be the title of a death metal song.

remind me of that metallica song off of kill em all.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
you get happy feeling, body numbing drugs so it all works out
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Quote by BurningStarlV
Listening to Geddy Lee's shrill voice is going to make the pain worse.

FYI

Geddy could come and soothe my pain....
Quote by dr_john
i had one wisdom tooth removed in 1984.

the dentist who did it was a total a**hole and i still suffer from pain at times 26 years later.

moral: make sure your dentist is a good guy

I'm kinda lucky in that I've had four lots of extractions (15 teeth in total) and I've always been referred to the same set of surgeons who've always been really good.
I have a gap in my teeth, so I'm not getting my wisdom teeth removed for political and moral reasons.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
lol @ horror stories, had mine removed. smoked weed and cigs the same day. probably drank some too. started eating solid food 3 days later. was easy. didn't get put to sleep, no pain killers. but i got mine out before the pain was severe. =P
Quote by Necrophrenic
lol @ horror stories, had mine removed. smoked weed and cigs the same day. probably drank some too. started eating solid food 3 days later. was easy. didn't get put to sleep, no pain killers. but i got mine out before the pain was severe. =P

I now wish they'd removed mine sooner...
I had two taken from the top. Now I need the two at the bottom taken out.

It hurts.

Badly.

And if you are not careful, you will bleed when you eat. brush your teeth etc.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
I had two taken from the top. Now I need the two at the bottom taken out.

It hurts.

Badly.

And if you are not careful, you will bleed when you eat. brush your teeth etc.

Damn, it's my top left one I need removing.
I had a really good experience with this.

I had all 4 removed at the same time, and they had to dislocate my jaw to get at the bottom two.
Regardless, I had no swelling, no infection, and not even the slightest bit of pain. After two weeks I threw away the codeine they perscribed me and got on with life.

I didn't ever try to eat anything remotely solid though, just soups and jellos and such.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by Zach_F
I had a really good experience with this.

I had all 4 removed at the same time, and they had to dislocate my jaw to get at the bottom two.
Regardless, I had no swelling, no infection, and not even the slightest bit of pain. After two weeks I threw away the codeine they perscribed me and got on with life.

I didn't ever try to eat anything remotely solid though, just soups and jellos and such.

Wow. You're so lucky.
You might die.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Necrophrenic

All incredibly stupid ideas.
And heres why
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Page 1 of 2