Hey,

I recently bought a Gretsch G5120http://www.themusicfarm.com/images/products/small/2505811512.jpg

i really love to play Jazz, Ska (i know the gretsch probably isnt the best ska guitar), reggae and Indie

until recently i thought i'd get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. however, i have heeard it is not as good as i thought e.g. poor overdrive , unresponsive tone settings and only okay cleans etc. i have heard a lot of people saying to get a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue instead. For my types of music will the deluxe reverb be better?

i will go try them out soon, but i wanted to hear about it first

Thanks in advance,
i will probably buy some pedals for anything like the Arctic Monkeys but im more interested in a good clean sound, like Vampire Weekend or something...
The deluxe reverb will much better matched for your gretsch and the styles you play. It has better cleans then the HRD and tremolo as well.
so it will be good for ska? im lookin for a more 2 tone/ specials sound, not reel big fish...

i have found a deluxe reverb for £700 so will probably get it

thanks a lot
i think vampire weekend use a hot rod deluxe, will i be able to get that sort of tone, even with a better amp??
The Deluxe Reverb is only 22 watts, so its only clean up to a point. For those genres I'd look at something with more headroom. A Twin Reverb is pretty much the go-to for those styles.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ive heard that the HRD was very inconsistent bought new, some were good but others were very bad. is that true for all fender amps? i cant afford a twin reverb but have found some on eBay. should i trust that these will be good?
Most vintage or vintage style fenders are going to go well with a Gretsch. Do yourself a favor and try it with an AC30, though. That's my favorite amp for a Gretsch. The AC15 should work well too, but you'll probably run into headroom issues with it the same way you might with a Deluxe Reverb. It really depends on how loud and clean you want to play.
is there anyway to solve the headroom problem? i do want to play mostly clean and the loudest i will ever have to play will be as rhythm guitarist in a ska or indie band (i suppose i could have a little breakup in an indie band). in some cases i can be miced up but i doubt it will always be possible.
Quote by skajazzindieguy
is there anyway to solve the headroom problem? i do want to play mostly clean and the loudest i will ever have to play will be as rhythm guitarist in a ska or indie band (i suppose i could have a little breakup in an indie band). in some cases i can be miced up but i doubt it will always be possible.

Ya, buy an amp with more headroom... So more wattage. I think an AC30 or a Twin Reverb are really what you're looking for man... If you're not quite there it sucks, but I think your best bet is to keep saving.

Look for old silverface Twin Reverbs on craigslist, they can be found as cheap as $600 but more likely will be around $800. Great deal, super clean and LOUD.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You can solve the headroom problem by getting a bigger or cleaner amp, or by running two amps at once. The Deluxe would probably be clean enough for what you need, but it's on the smaller side of it so we can't be sure. An AC30 should be fine, a Vibrolux should definitely have enough juice, and a Twin has enough headroom for anybody.
i have found a vibrolux for £700. thats as high as i can go. i think i will get that
however i have found a twin reverb on ebay for £480

but you guys think that both will suit my ska/jazz/indie sound?
Speaker cabinet won't help. Vibrolux will work, so will Twin Reverb.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
An external cab may help distribute the sound, but considering your budget you're better off just getting a nicer amp in the first place.

The vibrolux is going to have a warmer sound, especially when pushed. The twin will have more clarity and headroom but you're not really going to get any grit out of it. They're both very good amps, but the Twin is a bastard to carry around. You might want to consider that if you have to move gear up or down stairs often.
considering my budget is not massive i think i will buy a B-stock deluxe reverb, ex-demo so hopefully no problems. the headroom shouldnt be a problem with bedroom practise or possibly a four piece jazz band should it?
i am not in a band yet but when i am i will probably buy a speaker cabinet (in the next year or so) so i can compete with drummer etc.
thanks for your help
Speaker cabinet won't help. Vibrolux will work, so will Twin Reverb.

i didnt see this. in that case i will consider a new amp when it is needed but for now a deluxe reverb shall have to do
Quote by skajazzindieguy
i didnt see this. in that case i will consider a new amp when it is needed but for now a deluxe reverb shall have to do

Ya speaker cabinets don't add volume or headroom... Just sound a bit 'fuller.' The Deluxe Reverb will work, its just that you won't have any cleans with a band. Bedroom practice it will be great, but in order to keep up with drums you'll have to overdrive it a bit. How dirty it gets will depend on the drummer.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya speaker cabinets don't add volume or headroom...

They do when your running a 40watt(tube) combo amp on 4x12's instead of the single 10" speaker that comes with it.

OP Any Fender amp with reverb and enough wattage will work well for your application. I got my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 in a trade for a pistol I paid $280 new for.
Browse craigslist and if your persistent you'll find a good deal.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
They do when your running a 40watt(tube) combo amp on 4x12's instead of the single 10" speaker that comes with it.

Nope, that's the much more efficient set of Weber speakers putting out more dB per watt vs. the no-name chinese speaker in the combo, which is really inefficient. There's also the illusion of more volume because a 4x12 has a wider throw and more ground coupling.
I noticed that a few people suggested the Twin Reverb. It is a very LOUD amp. You may want to try one out before making the investment and make sure it works for your application and venue size.
Quote by Roc8995
Nope, that's the much more efficient set of Weber speakers putting out more dB per watt vs. the no-name chinese speaker in the combo, which is really inefficient. There's also the illusion of more volume because a 4x12 has a wider throw and more ground coupling.

Its an upgraded eminence delta demon, but it still sounds like trash through that one 10 and im pretty sure its louder through the cab. I get what your saying, but aren't the 4x12s pushing more air? I know that 10 could get pretty loud, but it just seems the cab is louder.
I dont really understand what you mean by wider throw and ground coupling. I need to do some research.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Sorry to bombard you guys with questions...
i just have seen a secondhand 70s Fender Quad Reverb for £700, i am waiting to hear of it's condition. I am sure this amplifier will be loud enough for anything i do in the forseeable future but i am not sure what tone it gives and what styles it will suit

Anyone know anything about the Quad Reverb?
Quote by skajazzindieguy
i just have seen a secondhand 70s Fender Quad Reverb for £700, i am waiting to hear of it's condition. I am sure this amplifier will be loud enough for anything i do in the forseeable future but i am not sure what tone it gives and what styles it will suit

Looks pretty awesome, but are you sure you need that much? Aren't they like 135watts? You can get a used Deville 2x12 or 4x10(both 60watts) for $500 and they are really loud. Any fender tube amp with reverb is going to give you amazing cleans and great reverb. Thats pretty much what their known for. Down side...they don't have good over-drive channels, their alright, but not great. Thats where pedals come in.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by skajazzindieguy

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/fenderQuadReverb.php gives a basic description. I have never seen or played one, but if the one you are looking at has the master volume then it would be worth looking at. The master volume on some silverface models also had a push/pull that would switch to a kind of overdrive. Having a master volume makes them more versatile than a 65 Reissue style.

They were reported to be an revved up version of the Twin Reverb, but a quick search shows them to be more related to the master volume version (some of the silverfaces) and not the classic 65. Also the wattage ratings from that era (CBS) were sometimes sketchy, some people believe the 100 watt rating was actually just reporting the maximum potential output and were actually no different than the 85 watt versions. The 135 watt versions were an upgraded design.
Last edited by Quintex at Jun 8, 2010,
well i doubt ill ever need all the power but will it make a good sound still even with the volume right down?

as i said i thought about a hot rod deluxe but heard that that, and the hot rod devilles, weren't great
Actually the deluxe reverb should easily be able to play clean with a drummer- I saw Field Music (http://www.myspace.com/fieldmusic) play at my student union to a reasonable crowd with one un-miced.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by skajazzindieguy
well i doubt ill ever need all the power but will it make a good sound still even with the volume right down?

Like I said in my first post, the Twin (and probably the Quad) Reverbs are seriously loud. You would really have to try one to see if it would work for you.

I know my 65 Reissue (85 watts) is not something that I regularly use in my home, but then again, that model does not have a master volume.
Quote by skajazzindieguy

as i said i thought about a hot rod deluxe but heard that that, and the hot rod devilles, weren't great

I dont know who told you that, but test one at Guitar Center yourself. I cant turn up my master past 3 while jamming or its too loud for a drummer and another guitarist. It sounds great loud or quiet. I recommend checking out a bunch of sound samples on youtube and going to Guitar center to play one. If you want I can pull out my strat and make some sound samples for you. Iv been wanting to test out Pro Tools and my new USB interface.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 8, 2010,
i will try a Hot Rod. As i need a variety of sounds does anyone know about the EQ on a Quad. i have heard other Fender amps have unresponsive EQ. i do need one i can change often
I think i have made a decision
i have found a second hand fender twin (not twin reverb) for bout £800
i know its really heavy but i dont think ill be moving it much
its 100 watts but i think it has a 1/4 switch to use just 25 watts for bedroom practise and recording
opinions?
Quote by skajazzindieguy
I think i have made a decision
i have found a second hand fender twin (not twin reverb) for bout £800
i know its really heavy but i dont think ill be moving it much
its 100 watts but i think it has a 1/4 switch to use just 25 watts for bedroom practise and recording
opinions?

I would get some more info... The 'Twin' changed a lot over the years so what you are actually looking at could be any number of different things... Some great, some not so great. Get more info and post back here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i havent been able to find out about the twin, but regarding the Quad? can you have too much power?
hot rod deville is the amp you need

60 clean fender watts....get an american made one. look online for how to tell the place of origin by the serial number. get one on craigslist for anywhere between 400-600

60 watts will give you all the headroom you need