I just came across some money (well my parents did) and they are willing to buy me whatever amp i want (in a resonable price) and i wanted to know, what amps do you recomend for a Progressive-Metal, to Metal-Core type stuff
Budget: 1500$ (give or take 200$)
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
You have to narrow it down more than that.

If you're looking for a smooth Dream Theater type prog tone then you wanna look into some Mesas (JP has used pretty much every Mesa under the sun on their albums).

If you're looking for a sludgy progressive sound (Baroness, Mastodon, etc.) you're gonna want a British voiced amp, a la JCM800 type tone.

For metalcore you will generally want a tight, American voiced amp, a la 5150 type tone (even though I'm not a big fan of 5150s).

Name some bands that have a similar tone to what you're after.

Also, what other gear are you using?
like Mastodon, Claudio Sanchez mix hahaha, and like Killswitch stuff, but im just not sure what to get
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
hey, check these pages out for ideas!

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/164/38/
http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/168/38/

should give you some idea! dunno which ones they use currently :S
Well that really doesn't help much

Killswitch have a very tight, compressed, high gain tone whereas Mastodon has a looser, not so high gain tone (you'd be surprised because of how heavy they sound - rhythm = JCM800 with an Ibanez TK999US as a boost, lead = '76 JMP Mk. II with a TS-9 as a boost).
for what you've said

especially for coheed and KSE stuff a Splawn nitro would be right up your ally
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
for what you've said

especially for coheed and KSE stuff a Splawn nitro would be right up your ally

How's the Nitro handle lower gain stuff? Because like I said Mastodon isn't all that gainy. They're more of a mid-gain metal tone, imo. And there isn't much saturation in their tone either so headroom is a big plus.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Is that a Nitro in the clip??

I really wasn't digging it. Very Marshall-esque, but for the price of a Nitro I was expecting something else. You could buy a used 800 and save a lot of money and get that tone.

It's a Pro Stock. so yes. a Nitro.

it does it more than passably and on top of that has 10x the gain if you want it. it's not a super low gain amp no, but it does it well enough that I'd use it for that if I needed to and it also has all the gain on tap I'd ever need

basically it's doing exactly as advertised there.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by mexican_shred
Pro Stock is Quick Rod.

Supercomp is nitro

these as one channel forms

crap. I knew I had that backwards!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/98-MC_G30_Test1.mp3

that is a little lower gain. sounds pretty freaking epic to me
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
It's a Pro Stock. so yes. a Nitro.

it does it more than passably and on top of that has 10x the gain if you want it. it's not a super low gain amp no, but it does it well enough that I'd use it for that if I needed to and it also has all the gain on tap I'd ever need

I'm not trying to put the amp down or anything, I was just saying you could grab a used 800 and a nice OD for under $1000 and you'd be set unless you absolutely need the uber amounts of gain from a Nitro.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm not trying to put the amp down or anything, I was just saying you could grab a used 800 and a nice OD for under $1000 and you'd be set unless you absolutely need the uber amounts of gain from a Nitro.

well he needs it!! that's what I'm saying
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
i think Kill switch uses Mesa boogie Dual Rectifier

although idk if it would meet all your needs?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Maybe a mesa mark III or IV, never played or heard one but they're supposed to be pretty damn versatile. I believe the V is over budget but again, supposed to be versatile.

Your problem is you want a looser british voicing for mastodon but also a tight american voicing for killswitch/coheed.

Are you going to use this amp for gigging or just jamming in your bedroom?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
a knucklehead ktre
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
KSE used a Nitro for all their lead tones and as far as I know some of the rhythm
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by AcousticMirror
a knucklehead ktre

+ a million
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Quote by arthurt420
+ a million

cool I'm going to start a group called the four of us have played rivera knuckleheads and the rest of you don't even know what you're missing.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam