Hey,

I'm doing a project for college and one of my assignments is a report on the "four current internet audio file providers"

Does anyone know who these providers are?

From my own research, I think I know three of them (I'm fairly certain about two of them)

Windows - WAV
Apple - AIFF
Sun - AU

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks!
Quote by xaviergray
Apple is AAC, not AIFF.

Aiff was co developed by apple in the 80's as far as I can remember. So i guess they both are apple. Im not entirely sure what this thread is about though
Quote by uk.mace
Are those the right things? Audio file providers to me means things like Spotify, last.fm, Deezer and the like.

EDIT: Also, Jimmy Neutron, when did you become orange? Congratulations, I guess.

I was gonna say something like that too. Spotify, last.fm, Apple and amazon?

Cheers, made the switch this morning
I know it's pretty vague. I guess that's my problem.

It just says the four internet audio file providers. I have no idea what it means by providers though.

It also says things about approved and non-approved file formats - again, no idea which is which, or even who approves them.

I've sent an email to my lecturer about it, but haven't heard anything rom him in a few days...

Oh, and AIFF was developed by apple in 1988 based on IFF files by EA
AAC is a lossy compressed format similar to mp3 - developed by Sony and Nokia, among others
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Aiff was co developed by apple in the 80's as far as I can remember. So i guess they both are apple. Im not entirely sure what this thread is about though

Yeah that's true but I think he was asking which companies use what format in their online music stores... I could be wrong though. It was a confusing OP.
Looking at it now, I think you guys may be right with Amazon etc.

The wording of the question kinda threw me I think.

Thanks for helping find a new perspective!
Quote by lemon_head
I know it's pretty vague. I guess that's my problem.

It just says the four internet audio file providers. I have no idea what it means by providers though.

It also says things about approved and non-approved file formats - again, no idea which is which, or even who approves them.

I've sent an email to my lecturer about it, but haven't heard anything rom him in a few days...

Oh, and AIFF was developed by apple in 1988 based on IFF files by EA
AAC is a lossy compressed format similar to mp3 - developed by Sony and Nokia, among others

It's the word providers that gets it for me. I'd say you're looking for streaming sites or sites where you can purchase downloadable audio. With the approved/non-approved bit I'd say that mp3 is more common to get downloads in as it's probably the most common format out there, also you'd mention AAC, FLAC, m4a and other less common types, the non-approved ones would probably be wav as they're so huge in file-size that an album would be ridiculously large. Simple samples would be acceptable in wav though.

Quote by lemon_head

No worries man.
Quote by lemon_head

It would depend on what class the essay is for?
Yeah I think it means like iTunes, Spotify, 7Digital, Amazon, Zune etc...