I am the only guitarist in a melodic death metal band.
ESP LTD F-50, Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom (b) & SH-2 Jazz (n).
Line 6 POD X3 Live, direct to PA.

I've tried different amp models, but am still hoping for a heavier, fuller, more aggressive sound overall.
Using stereo dual patches is an option i've not tried live yet, but i'm considering it.

Opinions, advice, suggestions? Thanks!
I don't know if you still have your presets on your POD X3 but the tone in slot 10D without the delay is intense. I would also recommend dual patches, one panned left and the other panned right.
well i have a huge issue.

where is your amp? direct to PA? so your entire sound is running through a glorified stomp box. in my mind, thats like buying a boss DS-1 and going straight to PA. i mean, i know it has amp models, but isnt a model a poor substitute for the real thing?

your can paint and model a junkyard car to look like a nascar, but it still runs like crap. do you have a high gain amplifier? maybe if you used the POD with a nice amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVozhiT0tM

no offense, but i just watched this video and i think that sounds like balls. i mean, you can get a nice amp like a peavey 6505 or whatever, and throw a MXR fullbore metal or whatever, set EQ, fool with the pedal knobs. takes about 10 min or less.

god knows how long that dude had to read to learn all these settings in this POD, and 99% of them are useless because they are trying to model real life sounds. so by putting an amp and a pedal in a room and playing you need 500 settings like "room" and 5 EQs, etc etc......and its still overly complicated and doesnt sound as good.

then if your amp isnt large enough for the venue, you get about a 75-100 dollar instrument mic (57), mic that puppy to the PA

just my thoughts.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 6, 2010,
Sadly, i can't afford an actual high gain amp yet.

There are bands with 2 guitarists who use the same multi-FX and sound unbelievable.

With my POD, would i need to use effects other than delay on one of the L or R patches?

Thanks loads!
I would do this:

Put a delay on one channel (L or R), set feeback to zero, set wet/dry to wet 100% and set it at 10 to 20 ms delay. The channel with delay should be delayed by 10-20 ms (whatever you use) and will sound very stereo, but not delayed enough to notice it's an actual delay. (Anything over 20 ms will start to be noticeable)

I'm doing this right now in Reaper with some VSTs and it sounds awesome.

edit:
here's an example. The first part is no delay, the second with 20 ms delay.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/769555086d24efab/

edit2:
I would also recommend using a different cab setting one of the patches, one that's not too different, but enough.. it makes it sound even more full. That's what I did in that clip.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 6, 2010,
Awesome, i'll check the clips out as soon as i get to my PC. Sounds interesting, I'll screw around with those ideas.
Thanks!

Any more ideas?
Quote by ikey_
well i have a huge issue.

where is your amp? direct to PA? so your entire sound is running through a glorified stomp box. in my mind, thats like buying a boss DS-1 and going straight to PA. i mean, i know it has amp models, but isnt a model a poor substitute for the real thing?

your can paint and model a junkyard car to look like a nascar, but it still runs like crap. do you have a high gain amplifier? maybe if you used the POD with a nice amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVozhiT0tM

no offense, but i just watched this video and i think that sounds like balls. i mean, you can get a nice amp like a peavey 6505 or whatever, and throw a MXR fullbore metal or whatever, set EQ, fool with the pedal knobs. takes about 10 min or less.

god knows how long that dude had to read to learn all these settings in this POD, and 99% of them are useless because they are trying to model real life sounds. so by putting an amp and a pedal in a room and playing you need 500 settings like "room" and 5 EQs, etc etc......and its still overly complicated and doesnt sound as good.

then if your amp isnt large enough for the venue, you get about a 75-100 dollar instrument mic (57), mic that puppy to the PA

just my thoughts.

I have that same pedal and being Trivium fan boy (don't hate, it's a choice) I was able to mimic their 6505's including the screamer etc in about 10 minutes. It's nigh impossible to tell apart. On top of that it's much cheaper then an amp and I play through a 30 year old speaker I found in the barn out back and it sounds fine, maybe live is different but i doubt it would make too much of a difference.
If you have two separate amp models in tone 1 and tone 2, I feel that the added ms delay to one side is unnecessary.
Quote by jpnyc
Save up for an Uberschall.

how bout he saves up and gets my one i love my alchemist and i wanna keep up with bogner amps
Eh.
ScoutPilfer is right, for the price and portability, it's simply amazing. All my patches sound superb, i only want a somewhat fuller sound.

Lextexrex - i've messed around with dual tones, they sound pretty good, but i think the delay might help to make it fuller anyway.

Thanks a lot, guys.
Don't you think posting comments like "get a new amp" doesn't help someone who is trying to achieve better/more suitable tone out of his current rig?
Quote by Blooddrunk_Moon
Don't you think posting comments like "get a new amp" doesn't help someone who is trying to achieve better/more suitable tone out of his current rig?

his current rig doesnt have a key component ?
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Like i said, they're way too expensive for me. And i can't drag one around wherever i'm playing. I know there's nothing like the real thing, but the POD is good enough.
Thanks.

EDIT:
I checked out that recording, Ignite, sounds great without the delay, but it definitely sounds way awesomer with. Can't want to try this out live!

Thanks man!
Last edited by exordium at Jun 7, 2010,