Hi, what would be a nice neck (passive) pickup for 80s metal. I'm getting a Dimarzio Double Whammy on the bridge, and am looking for a nice Lynch/Van Halen crunch for neck. Any ideas?

BTW: currently have an EMG HZ4 in neck, which is pretty lamentable.

Thanks.
well. neck pups were not really used much for 80s stuff. but DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans are always good choices for 80s stuff
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
something like a Seymour Duncan '59?? maybe try out a hot rail in the neck i think both Van Halen and Lynch used them primarily in the 80s, not sure which one of those to try out tho but i'd go with something from Seymour Duncan personally
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Yes, I did think about just leaving the stock EMG in, but figured - if both were replaced - I might get more for them as a pair when sold on Ebay?

Quote by Bostonrocks
well. neck pups were not really used much for 80s stuff. but DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans are always good choices for 80s stuff
Thanks. Have you any experience with the "Duncan Designed" pick-ups? Would they be a step-up from EMG-HZs?

Quote by shredftw
something like a Seymour Duncan '59?? maybe try out a hot rail in the neck i think both Van Halen and Lynch used them primarily in the 80s, not sure which one of those to try out tho but i'd go with something from Seymour Duncan personally
Quote by Nostoi
Thanks. Have you any experience with the "Duncan Designed" pick-ups? Would they be a step-up from EMG-HZs?

No... duncan designed pickups are a lower grade cheap version of seymour duncan pickups.... definately stay away from those.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Worse than EMG-HZs?

Quote by Leeav
No... duncan designed pickups are a lower grade cheap version of seymour duncan pickups.... definately stay away from those.
Quote by Nostoi
Worse than EMG-HZs?

I've heard bad things about EMG-HZs... but nobody replaces pickups with duncan designed...

Duncan designed pickups are not good... it would be a waste if you replaced your current pickups with other sub-par ones. Spend the extra 40 bucks and get something good.

What is your budget?

Edit: What amp do you have?
Gear:

MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Last edited by Leeav at Jun 6, 2010,
True. I could spend £40 or so. But as the chap above says, for my purposes - 80s metal - the neck pickup is a lesser priority, and the £40 might be spent more wisely on a pedal perhaps.

Quote by Leeav
I've heard bad things about EMG-HZs... but nobody replaces pickups with duncan designed...

Duncan designed pickups are not good... it would be a waste if you replaced your current pickups with other sub-par ones. Spend the extra 40 bucks and get something good.

What is your budget?
I have a Marshall 8080. Know it?

Quote by Leeav

What is your budget?

Edit: What amp do you have?
Quote by Nostoi
True. I could spend £40 or so. But as the chap above says, for my purposes - 80s metal - the neck pickup is a lesser priority, and the £40 might be spent more wisely on a pedal perhaps.

You still want a good pickup though, there is no use buying a pickups thats worse than the one that is already in there. If you want a variety of tones, then you will use the neck pickups. Plus, I said 40 dollars... not pounds..

Get a decent Seymour Duncan for 70 dollars. Besides... you can't buy a good pedal with the 30-40 dollars you save by buying a crappy pickup.
Gear:

MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Uh yeah, I'm Brit, hence the £.

BTW: have you heard of Dimarzio Dual Distortion from the early 80s?

Quote by Leeav
You still want a good pickup though, there is no use buying a pickups thats worse than the one that is already in there. If you want a variety of tones, then you will use the neck pickups. Plus, I said 40 dollars... not pounds..

Get a decent Seymour Duncan for 70 dollars. Besides... you can't buy a good pedal with the 30-40 dollars you save by buying a crappy pickup.