hey,

help, i need a rhythm guitar warm up

so i have a problem, mostly to do with my rythm guitar, or down picking to be more precise. i have a warm up routine from the rock disciplin dvd, with a follow up with the speed picking excersice from that same dvd. it all goes well, today i got to 160 bpm (im a lot better at lead than rhythm).

but i am having problems getting my wrist relaxed for my fast down picking and metal riffing. virtully every day i work on building up the speed on a metronome, starting slow and building up gradually, but a lot of the time struggle to go past 106 bpm. but on some occations i do get past 106, and on these occations can go right up to 130mpm.

im pretty sure this is because of wrist tension. during the time i have been able to get my wrist relaxed i feel like the best player in the world, =P, and can play master of puppets flawlessly with ease, but to get my wrist relaxed like this it seems to take way over an hour to warm/ relax up my wrist, and some times doesnt seem to get there at all.

i cannot go taking over an hour to warm up before band practise or a gig, its just to long .

so basically, has any body got a little warm up/ relaxation excercise to get my wrist perfectly relaxed every day with out taking ages. or does any body know what excersises the pro's use. iv been playing 3 years.

apart from this problem i concider my self an advanced player but this problem can get very frustrating.

sorry if it doesnt all make sense, but thanks in advanced any way
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jun 6, 2010,
I'm not saying it will, but try out this picking hand warm-up from Paul Gilbert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJwr0GWfJTk
Attachments:
Paul Gilbert Right-Hand Warmup.gp5
Last edited by tenfold at Jun 6, 2010,
You could have the guitar more angled upwards. When sitting, hold it like classical players usually do (in between the legs):

http://www.davemilliken.com/Images/Davenport%20wedding.jpg

This reduces tension and allows you to move more freely. I suppose you could also do this when standing up, just have it angled more "up".

If that doesn't really help, there may be something wrong with your technique. I don't remember ever hearing about this kinda thing. Seek help from an experienced, knowledgeable teacher.
lol, i do already hold my guitar like it. just tomo give you an idea of how my down picking compares to my other techniques, i got my alternate picking up to 250 bpm today.

its just odd that sometimes i can down pick each but most days cant.