I'm having problems grounding my custom built fat strat. I just wired it according to this diagram: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w

I wired it perfectly, and when I wiggle all of the wires, there was no feedback or whatever; they're firmly in place with the solder. I also moved the wire that connects between the top pot and the negative terminal on the output jack to the bottom pot, as it helped reduce the hum from the grounding problem I'm having.

It hums like this even on the humbucker, so I know it isn't the natural 60hz cycling hum. (None of the pickups are damaged either, they were pulled out from other guitars which they worked fine, just a couple days ago.)

It isn't the bridge either, because right now the bridge isn't attached as I have the pickguard by itself right now.

OH also, I soldered a wire to the 5 way selector switch to the middle pot since when I touched it, the hum was getting louder. (Now I don't have that problem)

Also I tested 2 different cables, so the cable isn't the issue.

So things that AREN'T the problem:
Pickups
Bridge connection
Audio Cable
Coil hum
Leads
5way blade switch configuration

Here's a drawing of what I did:

So, do you see a loop here? Or is this supposed to be normal? I've been trying to fix this for days. D:< Stupid wiring. Well, what do you think?

Edit: Pots are 500k, capacitor is 0.47uF. Pots work fine, no crackle. Not sure if the capacitor is fully functional or not.
Last edited by KPhoenix at Jun 6, 2010,
Fully assemble the guitar. Bridge and strings. I'm willing to bet that could help.
Yeah it more than likely buzzing because you dont have it grounded to the bridge
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by KPhoenix
I'm having problems grounding my custom built fat strat. I just wired it according to this diagram: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w

I wired it perfectly, and when I wiggle all of the wires, there was no feedback or whatever; they're firmly in place with the solder. I also moved the wire that connects between the top pot and the negative terminal on the output jack to the bottom pot, as it helped reduce the hum from the grounding problem I'm having.

It hums like this even on the humbucker, so I know it isn't the natural 60hz cycling hum. (None of the pickups are damaged either, they were pulled out from other guitars which they worked fine, just a couple days ago.)

It isn't the bridge either, because right now the bridge isn't attached as I have the pickguard by itself right now.

OH also, I soldered a wire to the 5 way selector switch to the middle pot since when I touched it, the hum was getting louder. (Now I don't have that problem)

Also I tested 2 different cables, so the cable isn't the issue.

So things that AREN'T the problem:
Pickups
Bridge connection
Audio Cable
Coil hum
Leads
5way blade switch configuration

Here's a drawing of what I did:

So, do you see a loop here? Or is this supposed to be normal? I've been trying to fix this for days. D:< Stupid wiring. Well, what do you think?

Edit: Pots are 500k, capacitor is 0.47uF. Pots work fine, no crackle. Not sure if the capacitor is fully functional or not.

Read this, do as it says.

Wiring
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I did have a wire touching the bridge earlier connected to the bottom pot but I took it off. But anyway I'll go try that immediately.
do you even have hot wires? any carrying your signal? it looks completely omitted in ur layout.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yes, it's exactly as shown in the wiring diagram. I left it out because it's the same, essentially, and it's not the problem. Thanks for the link SheetUK, I'll do that as soon as I get back from camping (gonna be gone for a week :S)