Alright I'm about to come into a bit of money and am buying my first amplifier ( a Crate MX120R), along with a distortion pedal (probably a EHX Mini Muff or something). This is going to consume most of my funds, but my will continue to come in weekly. So I want to get a nice guitar that can handle br00tz tones. I'm using a stratocaster currently but the single coil pickups just aren't cutting it whenever I try out a few amps with it at Guitar Center (amps I've tried include Peavey Vypyr 30, Marshall MG15/30FX, Line 6 Spider IV 15, and some 50 watt Raven amplifier) and even with the natural distortion, which the clerk told me was supposedly really good, it didn't sound heavy.

I intend on keeping the Strat for when I desire more classic rock or twangy type of sounds, but for brutalities sake, I want a new guitar.

in the 200-300 dollar range preferably, and willing to buy used but not online used.

FYI - i like Strat style necks/body, so preferably a super strat, but not an Ibanez RG - i've tried these in the past and they just don't mix with me.

Thank you in advance.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Schecter. That is all.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Look for a squier stagemaster. Has a GREAT floyd rose and more than decent pickups. There are HSS, HH and HSH versions. Mine is a HSS and I recommend it - You can get the strat twang out of the singles and the bridge is a powerful 12k.

And don't get me started on the BEAUTIFUL neck on the thing
Quote by mcconnachiea
Look for a squier stagemaster. Has a GREAT floyd rose and more than decent pickups. There are HSS, HH and HSH versions. Mine is a HSS and I recommend it - You can get the strat twang out of the singles and the bridge is a powerful 12k.

And don't get me started on the BEAUTIFUL neck on the thing

nearby store has a Stagemaster 7

http://musicgoround.com/search.aspx?cid=1&scid=161&l=0&sid=40118&d=10&c=10&ob=6&p=4
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
aww man. I was about to recommend an RG. They're usually pretty good quality for the price.

I'm gonna have to go with Schecter then. I believe they have more of a strat like neck than Ibanez anyway (i believe a bit thicker? While the ibanezes are super thin)

edit:
yeah, that blue Stagemaster seems like it'd be alright for the price. If that store is near you, go try it out definitely.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 6, 2010,
If I was you, I would go to a humbucking guitar of some sort, with active EMGs. Schecter, Jackson, Ibanez all make great "meta" guitars that fit all budgets. Ignore the sales clerk because he will tell you anything is good. If I was you, I would go back to GC and just start playing these types of guitars, and as far as amp, I would use one of the Vypyrs they have there, because the factory presets have a couple good metal ones built in.

If the sales associate keeps bothering you, just turn the amp up.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
My opinion?

Save a little more money first, you can get much better guitars for around $500, saving money in the long run because you will definetly want to upgrade again later after the $200 guitar.
Quote by Ignite
aww man. I was about to recommend an RG. They're usually pretty good quality for the price.

I'm gonna have to go with Schecter then. I believe they have more of a strat like neck than Ibanez anyway (i believe a bit thicker? While the ibanezes are super thin)

edit:
yeah, that blue Stagemaster seems like it'd be alright for the price. If that store is near you, go try it out definitely.

its most definitely purple
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Try to score a used Schecter C-1 or Damien series guitar on Craigslist and upgrade the pickups when you have the money.
Stagemaster 7s are cool too, also May I recommend samick/ greg bennet guitars. The FS2s supposedly have great FRs. Is a floyd a must? Because the stagemaster 7s don't have trems.
Schecter/ESP, pick whichever body style you prefer then find the highest model in the price range you can afford. Both have outsanding hardware for the price range and if you don't like Ibanez guitars and you do like Strats then they'll be perfect since both the ESP and Schecter necks are just a little slimmer than Fender Strat necks but are noticably thicker than Ibanez necks.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Man, I was gonna recommend an Ibanez RG. :\ I love those things...

Anyways, look into a Schecter omen 6, or the Jackson JS series. Very solid guitars, with TOM-style bridges if you want to experiment with different string gauges and tunings, for brutalities sake. And both are loads better then the piles of garbage known as B.C. Rich Warlocks, or low-end Deans.