Your thoughts on the building of a mosque near Ground Zero, New York

Poll: Do you support the building of a mosque near Ground Zero?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you support the building of a mosque near Ground Zero?
I support this plan on principal
315 39%
I protest this plan on principal
239 29%
I have no feelings one way or the other
239 29%
I either support or protest this plan depending on the reaction it garners once built
20 2%
Voters: 813.
Page 1 of 24
Absolutely not ok.
Remember this. Remember the summer. Whatever you do. Don't forget.
Woefully inappropriate, not because of the Muslims, but because of the American layman who associate 'Muslim" with 'terrorist.'

This is the funniest news story in some time
...In my opinion.
It's not harming anyone really. If it is being used for religious means it is ok.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I think its a bad move

Clearly people, a lot of people are going to be distressed and not happy about this. I think really for the decency of the muslims then it shouldnt be done
If it happens, there will be an uprise in extremism towards the muslims themselves. They dont like the fact that a lot of ignorant people blame them for 9/11. I think doing this would heighten that and probly end up causing more problems then it solves
Quote by rabidguitarist
Nothing gay about playing with another mans dick. I bet all of you play with your own.

he just owned everybody

Gary(L)Kirsty-Lea<3

RIP Ronnie James Dio. You will be deeply missed. You truely are a hero and a pioneer in metal
I'm sure there's a Catholic Church somewhere the Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Crazies can be any religion, so I don't see how putting it up is a problem. Most Muslims aren't terrorists (duh).
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
It shouldn't make any difference. If the Americans are as stupid as I think, then they'll associate it with terrorism and deal with it 'appropriately'. If they aren't, then it's nice, and the muslims have a new mosque. The location is irrelevant.
133 18 9463 8395 24 22 8358 4939
It's nothing more than a muslim version of a YMCA building. There's churches within the same distance from Ground Zero and this should be just as accepted. It wasn't just Christians that died on 9/11. 500 innocent Muslims died in the towers as well. The actions of he few should not affect the memory of the innocent dead and the peaceful life of the many.
Quote by demonsheep
The location is irrelevant.

lol wut?
My God, it's full of stars!
I can see why some people may be angry and opposed to it. But that said, it's not JUST a mosque, it'll have other things. So it'll be part mosque, part community centre.

Personally I think turning it into some functional and positive is better than turning it into some kind of communal area with a statue or something. And like people have said, Muslims died there too. Whilst many people will associate 9/11 with Muslims, hopefully something like this might go somewhere towards changing opinions.
I see nothing wrong with it technically or morally i anything. Just, taking a realistic look at it, i can imagine there could be a lot of people hanging around the mosque under the belief that they have a "score to settle" with the muslims.
Quote by rock.freak667
It's not harming anyone really. If it is being used for religious means it is ok.

it's harming the people who survive the victims of 9/11.

although honestly, I feel (esp. in America) that the line between "Muslim extremist" and "Muslim follower" needs to be clearly established, so I'm for it.
has a terrible signature.
Quote by iantheman
why?

Because its a symbol of Islam. And it's going to be built near a place that suffered destruction at the hands of Islam.

But frankly, I wouldn't want a mosque built anywhere, if I got to vote on it.
Quote by Austyn6661
it's harming the people who survive the victims of 9/11.

although honestly, I feel (esp. in America) that the line between "Muslim extremist" and "Muslim follower" needs to be clearly established, so I'm for it.

It's a pretty fine line. And Islam itself is an evil and corrupt institution.
I have no problem with it at all, so long as it isn't an Extremist centered Mosque and they're just doing it out of spite.
Quote by captaincrunk
Absolutely nothing of importance.

If you want to support it go ahead. I was stating my opinion.
I oppose this...I mean cmon, if muslim terrorists bomb ground zero, then why have a mosque built near ground zero? That's asking for trouble...

Just build it somewhere else
Quote by Dreadnought
Mine has a poll. And I'm a mod.

honestly thats the only reason i posted that.

and to that picture. skaters gonna skate would be so much cooler though..

and on topic, technically we should all just be ok with it, but honestly, theres no point for it but to ignite anger and disgust. i wonder who actually thinks this is a good thing.
I don't see why it should be a problem but a lot of people probably will. So I think they could probably build it some other place for their own good but if they want to build it there regardless of almost certain hate, I say go for it
Would this not be a terrific opportunity for America to give the finger to Muslim extremism?
Oh you say we're intolerant bastards, eh? Shall I direct your attention to that Mosque over there, that by the way, we're totally cool about?

You know, underline the idea that Islam is not what you're pissed with, just assholes that strap bombs to themselves in it's name.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

I think it's fine, on principal, as America was built on such freedoms, but that aside, I think that when one considers all the factors, or even the most obvious ones, this is quite plainly a dumb idea. You can't force acceptance
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Sawman3
If you want to support it go ahead. I was stating my opinion.

Give them their silly buildings. Who gives a **** really? No one should care, it's not like anyone is being cheated here. Nothing bad is happening to anyone. Plus, it's just religion, it's not really even worth our time. Which is why it plain doesn't matter if it's built.
It should be there, to teach people something. It's utterly absurd that "Muslim =/= terrorist" bears being said. Protesting this is like hitting a cat with a shovel in retaliation to running out of milk.

Edit:
Quote by Dreadnought
I think it's fine, on principal, as America was built on such freedoms, but that aside, I think that when one considers all the factors, or even the most obvious ones, this is quite plainly a dumb idea. You can't force acceptance

You're right. It will cause problems, didn't think.
Last edited by KevVin at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?
Elaborate.

The Koran itself, the original text, is fairly neutral and is arguably just as good/bad as the Bible or any other religious text. However, the majority of those who follow it (terrorists/extremists or not) follow age-old interpretations that result in hideous wrongdoing, such as abusive treatment of women, repression of forward-thinking and liberal-mindedness, and inhumane treatment of prisoners/criminals/enemy combatants. I am personally opposed to almost every major tenet of Islam, and as such find it an abhorrent and undesirable religion. Does that I mean I think every Muslim is a "bad" person? No. But I think they're victims of circumstance and severely misguided, and I wish Islam to be discouraged wherever and whenever possible.
Quote by Sawman3
Because its a symbol of Islam. And it's going to be built near a place that suffered destruction at the hands of Islam.

But frankly, I wouldn't want a mosque built anywhere, if I got to vote on it.

Ah the refreshing scent of ignorance
Quote by Dreadnought

I think some people will see it as almost "rubbing salt in the wounds". Some won't however. There's no doubt this will cause a shit storm, but something positive could come out if it lasts long enough and people don't do something stupid.
Quote by Sawman3
The Koran itself, the original text, is fairly neutral and is arguably just as good/bad as the Bible or any other religious text. However, the majority of those who follow it (terrorists/extremists or not) follow age-old interpretations that result in hideous wrongdoing, such as abusive treatment of women, repression of forward-thinking and liberal-mindedness, and inhumane treatment of prisoners/criminals/enemy combatants. I am personally opposed to almost every major tenet of Islam, and as such find it an abhorrent and undesirable religion. Does that I mean I think every Muslim is a "bad" person? No. But I think they're victims of circumstance and severely misguided, and I wish Islam to be discouraged wherever and whenever possible.

I could say the same thing about rednecks but they're allowed in New York.
I am all for it, but I keep on thinking that this was done to be controversial on purpose.
As stated before, it should definetely be allowed, but that doesn't mean it isn't a stupid idea.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Wow, 16, 16, 16, and 1. This is the most even poll I've ever seen.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I support this on principle.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by captaincrunk
I could say the same thing about rednecks but they're allowed in New York.

"Rednecks" is a subjective term, however, so we can't have that discussion. With a religion, you're either a follower or you're not.