Hey guys,

I've recently moved over to bass in my band as we've changed to a three piece, after a few jams it's sounding great, and I'm enjoying the change from guitar.

I'm getting myself a MIM P-Bass next week and will then be looking at an amp. I gig quite often so I'm looking for a head+cab to save room when travelling when I can cab share.

So can anyone recommend a decent bass head for my budget? I'll be willing to spend around £500-600, as I have some old guitar gear to sell to add to my fund.

I play in an alt. rock band, but it's quite punky and upbeat stuff.

Cheers!
Cool. I briefly browsed them before, will look into further!

Anyone know what the Ampeg SVT450H is like? Seems like it could be quite versatile, especially with the EQ. I'd like something that drives quite well.
With that budget I'd suggest checking out Markbass. Something like a Little Mark 800 or an SA450
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It would help if we knew a few more things about your band. What kind/size amplifier does your guitarist use? How loud is your drummer? What size venues are you playing?

The Ashdown sounds like a good choice. For a head and cabinet in your budget, look at the Acoustic B600H head and 4x10 cabinet also.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Markbass, man. They are the best amps I have ever played on.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by FatalGear41
It would help if we knew a few more things about your band. What kind/size amplifier does your guitarist use? How loud is your drummer? What size venues are you playing?

The Ashdown sounds like a good choice. For a head and cabinet in your budget, look at the Acoustic B600H head and 4x10 cabinet also.

+1
Also I would recommend Gallien Krueger. I play through one with my band and it's awesome. It get loud enough with a little more room left to go louder. Also the tone is good for really any rock or metal. I would suggest them as well as the others mentioned above.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Markbass Little Mark. Perfect for what you need.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Carvin have extremely versatile amps for good prices. I'd check em out.
Quote by ele1122
Carvin have extremely versatile amps for good prices. I'd check em out.

That they do. Id suggest the (relatively) new bx500. Its very light and packs 500 watts.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Just don't look into Behringer's with high hopes

Also, if you can afford, check out SWR - really good stuff. I'm thinking of upgrading to a WorkingPro series rig.
SWR makes very reliable amps in fact I have two a Super RedHead and a Black Beauty.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by FatalGear41

Guitarist plays through a VoxAC30, very loud with the aid of two proco Rat pedals. Drummer is probably over average in how hard he plays, often find ourselves turning up during actual sets because he seems to play louder than in sound check :P
Venue wise it varies. We play a few small venues, mostly around 100-120Cap. But sometimes get support on 200-400Cap.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, I'll probably get my funds together and go try out a few when I can
From the ads that I've seen, Markbass is ridiculously overpriced in the U.K. That's a shame, because they are fine amps and cabinets.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Used SWR i say.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.