Hello,
I have been playing guitar for 2 months, and this is my first thread. I am confused about scales, and what to do with them. I know the relative major and minors, and also I know the 7 positions for each diatonic scale on the fretboard as well as knowing them in all 12 keys. I can get the scale pretty fast. I know what notes are in each diatonic scale by heart. As for my pentatonic, i know all the positions but it takes me a while to figure what notes are in them. I do not really consider this a problem because I understand how the pentatonic are derived form the diatonic. What am i supposed to do with the scales? or did i just waste the month that i spent learning them for nothing!? Should i just stop leartning about the diatonic and pentatonic scales? What else should i do and know about them.

I also am dissatisfied with my progress I play 24/7 for 2 months and all i know is all of the major and minor and dominant 7th chord, and those scales, and the stairway to heaven solo. I know a couple poinltes riffs... But what else should i learn!?
What do you want to learn? That's a pretty important question, because if you're practicing what you want to be able to do, you'll feel a lot more satisfied with any and all progress.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
You make music?
But seriously, you use the scales to make music, just mess around with them. That's all there is to it. You keep learning more riffs, and more songs, and use what you learn to make more music. Not sure what you're looking for.
Well, you can learn to improvise with scales, you can learn how chords work with scales. They are essentially the building blocks of music.
Dude you've only been playing for 2 months. You can't expect great things after such a short time.

You also mentioned how you hope you didn't waste that month on the theory you learned. Let me say this: Music/theory is a lifelong endeavor. You don't just learn it for a month or two and know everything you need to know in order to make awesome music. I've been making music for almost four years and I still have TONS of room to improve. I'm sure people who have been playing for thirty years or even more can say the same. Of course, I've made huge strides, and I do have significant ability, but there's still so much more out there to learn.

Also, I think you're nuts to be dissatisfied with your progress. After two months I could probably hardly keep a rhythm. You don't have to rush it. In fact, it's better if you don't. Keep practicing and you'll get to the point you want to be at. Don't lose hope when you're not as good as you'd like to be. You'll get there eventually. Don't let it get to your head when it doesn't happen immediately. Becoming a good musician involves lifelong immersion in it, not just as much immersion in it in a short amount of time as you can. I played like crazy my first year of learning bass, but that just built my foundation. It wasn't until later that I started making some music. Even now I'm learning how to simply make music.

Finally, to your original question: Scales are tools used as a guideline for which notes to use in a melody. Say you want to write a melody in C major. You know the C major scale contains C D E F G A B. Take a few notes from that, and play them up, down, backward, forward, whatever. When you get more advanced you can add passing tones and alterations and more complex harmony.

Of course this is an oversimplification of the composition process. You don't actually just pick notes by random choice and use them in your melody. You just come up with the melody. But... a solid understanding of scales and what not helps you a lot with the ability to come up with these melodies.

Now, your second question: You seem to have a very solid grasp on theory for a player of only two months, but what it seems you are lacking is simply making music. Learn a ton of your favorite songs. Try to mix it up a bit, improvise. And, when you get better and find your inner creativity more, maybe try writing some stuff. These things are when you're truly making music. That's one thing theory never gives you by itself. It's great, and very helpful in the process, but it won't make you music.

Also, I'd like to stress again the importance of learning as many songs as possible. This is absolutely fundamentally essential. You can't just learn a bunch of theory and try to make music with it. You have to hear and apply (by playing other people's music) how music works first and use that recognition in your journey in making music.

I hope that was comprehensive/answered all your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask. You can even PM me if you want, I'd be glad to guide you along the way. I still feel like I have a lot more to say, so sending me a PM might not be a bad idea. It's up to you though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 6, 2010,
your manner of speaking and username lead me to believe you're Bfrederi.

to be useful, i second everything food said.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Spend some time reviewing those fundamentals you learned while you spend most of your time working on songs. eventually, start working on things like chord construction, a general understanding of functional harmony and improvisation.
Quote by AeolianWolf
your manner of speaking and username lead me to believe you're Bfrederi.

How did you pick that? Good one!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
He's obviously Colombo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com