Hey so it was a bit hard to describe what i wanted to say in the title. So i'm after either a guitar that is really good value as in great make and wood with a tremelo bar. But doesn't really have any good features. So shitty pickups and trem. I want to customise with either a floyd rose or kahler. Change pickups with invader sh8's and probably the tuning machines if they suck.

My other option is to buy an ESP V2 or NV.

Im really just after a guitar that'l do high gain metal, thrash and punk.

So if i was going to customize a guitar what would be a good brand and model to buy?
What would you suggest i add to the brand and model of guitar i buy (floyd rose/kahler...etc) ?

Cheers Shaenb243
Quote by shaenb243
Hey so it was a bit hard to describe what i wanted to say in the title. So i'm after either a guitar that is really good value as in great make and wood with a tremelo bar. But doesn't really have any good features. So shitty pickups and trem. I want to customise with either a floyd rose or kahler. Change pickups with invader sh8's and probably the tuning machines if they suck.

My other option is to buy an ESP V2 or NV.

Im really just after a guitar that'l do high gain metal, thrash and punk.

So if i was going to customize a guitar what would be a good brand and model to buy?
What would you suggest i add to the brand and model of guitar i buy (floyd rose/kahler...etc) ?

Cheers Shaenb243

I understand where you're at. To be honest, it depends on what you're up to. If you're going to be gigging, I would highly recommend getting a secondary instrument. You can always upgrade at anytime, y'know? Now, concerning tremolos, go to www.stewmac.com for cheap parts and such. Also, check warmoth.com if you want a very customized instrument.
Stewmac? You mean Screwmac? Dude. They sell Schaller FR's for $80 more than an OFR and a full $110 more than a Gotoh FR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Okay before you continue at all, realize that you cant just throw a floyd rose on any guitar. You have to take the bridge out (i would recommend removing the neck anad every piece of electronic on the body), cut a hole to the exact specs, then install. Your finished product might end up with your finish needing to be redone, and if you realllllly don't know what you're doing, you might have made it so no bridge will be there ever again, forever ruining your guitar.

So, I would recommend a guitar that already has an Original Floyd installed.

But aside from all of that, you just have to add up all the costs, what woods you want the guitar made up of, and just overall what you really want.

the best option, IMHO, is to buy a guitar you already like, floyd rose and all, and put in pickups you like. save up a little longer if need be, but at least you don't ruin your guitar.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
also keep in mind a good amp is more important than a good guitar, with a cheap amp a pickup change will literally do nothing
Quote by handbanana
also keep in mind a good amp is more important than a good guitar, with a cheap amp a pickup change will literally do nothing

A good guitar is very important, its throwing new pickups in it thats dumb. Nice neck is nice, and I would personally rather give up my Ampeg then my Destroyer; and I'm in a band!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
yeah but replace your ampeg with what? a line 6? no. amp is putting out the sound, its what makes your heard. and since without being heard there is no point of any of it...by logic im pretty sure that makes an amp CRUCIAL.

now a guitar that isnt worth playing isnt worth playing. taking a fine 500-600 dolar instrument for example a PRS SE single cut. throwing on some upps (example, new pickups, tone pros parts, strap locks, perhaps a 50-60 dollar perfect leather strap, earvana compensated nut)

for under 1000 or whatever you can have an amazing semi customized guitar. or for under 1000 you can have a place like carvin practically build you your own instrument. or for 1000ish dependin how picky you are have warmoth actually build a guitar you your own person down to the very neck carve etc. probably will go over 1000.

point being, there are a ton of guitars that retail for thousands that wont be much better, is if they are if for the materials, brand, etc etc. however, that soon turns into a rich mans game rather than a music workhorse.

so you pretty much always get a better deal buying a cheaper (still quality guitar). i mean the gibson studio is a better use of money than a 15,000 jimmy page les paul.

i would also like to point out i would rather have a 1000 dollar amp and 1000 dollar effects and use my epihpone les paul than have a 2000 gibson les paul and a 500 dollar amp etc effects.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 14, 2010,