I have about $300 to use on a new guitar amp, and I'd like some input on what the best choice would be. I play mostly metal, but I'd like an amp that's versatile enough to play nice cleans, metal, and everything in between. The effects aren't too important to me as I use pedals. Definitely needs to be loud enough to play with drums and small gigs without straining itself too much. Right now I'm looking at either the 75 watt Peavey Vypyr or the 75 watt Line 6 Spider IV. From what I hear the Vypyr is much better, but I have a friend with a 30 watt Spider and it seemed to be alright (didn't play it much though). If anyone could give input into which of these is better, or a different amp in the same price/wattage range, It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Quad-65DFX-65W-1x12-2Channel-Guitar-Combo-with-Digital-Effects?sku=481245

I was in a similar situation, with needing an amp that could handle etal and still have a solid clean sound. I settled on this Kustom, and I love it. It does everything I need it to, and has a nice thick distorted tone with my Schecter C1 Classic.

And it's on clearence!

Edit: Upon closer examination it seems to be discontinued from Musican's Friend... I'd try one out though if I were you to see if it's for you
Last edited by Rhcp9988 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Rhcp9988
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Quad-65DFX-65W-1x12-2Channel-Guitar-Combo-with-Digital-Effects?sku=481245

I was in a similar situation, with needing an amp that could handle etal and still have a solid clean sound. I settled on this Kustom, and I love it. It does everything I need it to, and has a nice thick distorted tone with my Schecter C1 Classic.

And it's on clearence!

Edit: Upon closer examination it seems to be discontinued from Musican's Friend... I'd try one out though if I were you to see if it's for you

Awesome, I'm going to guitar center to try some out and buy, i'll make sure to try that one. Thanks
If I were you I would go for a Marshall. Bottom line is that they are they best and you can get a really good starter one for 300.00 used easily...try one of the MG or AVT series. Both Guitar Center and Sam Ash will ship it for you if they have a used one...check out their websites. I live in Pennsylvania and bought a used TSL122 for about 700.00 used...new they were $2000.00...Guitar Center shipped it from the Midwest to me. Invest your money wisely because the resale value on the Line 6 and Peavey amps are crap...unless you have a Peavey 5150.
Quote by dlmvh5150
If I were you I would go for a Marshall. Bottom line is that they are they best and you can get a really good starter one for 300.00 used easily...try one of the MG or AVT series. Both Guitar Center and Sam Ash will ship it for you if they have a used one...check out their websites. I live in Pennsylvania and bought a used TSL122 for about 700.00 used...new they were $2000.00...Guitar Center shipped it from the Midwest to me. Invest your money wisely because the resale value on the Line 6 and Peavey amps are crap...unless you have a Peavey 5150.

MG's are far from the best he could buy. If you weren't so new you'd have found out by now that MG's are highly frowned upon around here as poor sounding amps and for good reason.

on topic: The Vypyr is the better sounding of the two. I can't really think of anything else with the versatility you want in that price range.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
also check out a roland cube 60? i haven't tried the vypyr, but it and the cube 60 are meant to be two of the best options for brootz + versatility with your kind of budget. maybe take a look at some randalls too (haven't tried their solid state amps).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe take a look at some randalls too (haven't tried their solid state amps).

Cube 60 is also good, which I always forget about...

I've got a Randall ss amp, an RG75g3+, and Randall probably makes some of the best (non-modeling) ss amps in current production. The only thing they don't do is low gain tones but an od on the clean channel would cover that just fine. Great ?High gain and cleans though.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
ah i forgot about the everything in between when i said the randall. but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?