Hi there, I'm looking for a small bodied acoustic for days out and camping etc. I mainly play fingerstyle and i'd like a warm sounding instrument.
I've come across the yamaha fs720s which i've seen listed as nato back and sides but i've also seen sites that claim it to be mahogany back and sides. Are there two versions of this guitar that use different woods or is this just incorrect information?

Cheers, Dave.
a lot of sites call nato some kind of mahogany. it isn't, but this isn't something new. i played a 720 yesterday, and it sure looked/sounded like nato to me.

you do realize this is a folk sized guitar, not a 3/4, right?
Last edited by patticake at Jun 6, 2010,
Nato is Eastern Mahogany, so I can see why both would be stated. Yamaha's site just says Mahogany though.
To elaborate, it's a value priced wood with a lot of the same properties as Mahogany, but as Patticake is correct, it's not actually Mahogany, but it is a very strong and reliable wood. A lot of people refer to it as Mahogany, but it actually comes from Mora trees.
Quote by patticake
a lot of sites call nato some kind of mahogany. it isn't, but this isn't something new. i played a 720 yesterday, and it sure looked/sounded like nato to me.

you do realize this is a folk sized guitar, not a 3/4, right?

Okay, so their all nato then. 3/4 fret boards that i've handled have been ait too small for my hands. I imagine if i get a folk size i'll be using it more than my full size dreadnought anyway because of comfort and because i play alot of fingerstyle stuff.
Any other guitars i can check out that fits the bill? (Dont want to break the bank)

Cheers
Why is the fs720s so much dearer than the fg700s when its all the same wood?
you don't mention what is too small. if it's width, the 3/4 yamaha has the same neck width as the bigger ones. btw, my husband is 6' 7" and he plays it all the time.

Quote by Hammy135
Okay, so their all nato then. 3/4 fret boards that i've handled have been ait too small for my hands. I imagine if i get a folk size i'll be using it more than my full size dreadnought anyway because of comfort and because i play alot of fingerstyle stuff.
Any other guitars i can check out that fits the bill? (Dont want to break the bank)

Cheers
I find that hard to believe, must be the fret spacing then. I've played a friends yamaha jr1 and maybe its okay for strumming a few open chords but as soon as i got high on the neck chords got tricky. Tommy Emmanuel and chets music is hard enough to play as it is without making it unnecessarily harder
the width is the same - i measured it - but the spacing from the top to bottom of the higher frets is indeed pretty cramped.

if you don't mind carrying a folk sized guitar with you, the 720 could work. you might also consider a used seagull cedar folk - scale is almost as long as the yamaha, and it has a warmer sound.

Quote by Hammy135
I find that hard to believe, must be the fret spacing then. I've played a friends yamaha jr1 and maybe its okay for strumming a few open chords but as soon as i got high on the neck chords got tricky. Tommy Emmanuel and chets music is hard enough to play as it is without making it unnecessarily harder