My band wants me to sing and I would but my voice is kinda high still and I can only really do black metal singing. But as we do thrash more towards Pantera and Lamb Of God, I wanted to know how to do get Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven or at heaviest Great Southern Trendkill? Also if someone would be as kind enough to explian "Vocal Fry" to me aswell?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
Quote by DimeBomb
My band wants me to sing and I would but my voice is kinda high still and I can only really do black metal singing. But as we do thrash more towards Pantera and Lamb Of God, I wanted to know how to do get Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven or at heaviest Great Southern Trendkill? Also if someone would be as kind enough to explian "Vocal Fry" to me aswell?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

How high is your voice? Are you saying you struggle to get as low as Phil Anselmo?!

High voices are pretty useful in metal I think...
yeah I was gonna say, isn't having a high voice a good thing if you're a singer?
it's got cool perks like belting out high C's and whatnot.
I realize that we aren't supposed to ask for screaming/growling/whatever tips unless it's in that specific thread, so I just want to ask a general question: would Anselmo's screaming be classified as vocal fry? I pretty much just sing for most of my music, but I was thinking of working on screaming like Anselmo or Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan) to use occasionally in my songs. So I was just wondering if vocal fry is the name for the technique I'm thinking of.
Quote by Suav Nitebeest
I realize that we aren't supposed to ask for screaming/growling/whatever tips unless it's in that specific thread, so I just want to ask a general question: would Anselmo's screaming be classified as vocal fry? I pretty much just sing for most of my music, but I was thinking of working on screaming like Anselmo or Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan) to use occasionally in my songs. So I was just wondering if vocal fry is the name for the technique I'm thinking of.

i honestly dont recomend vocal frys. in my opinion, they sound like those emo bands, which isnt really a good thing, if you want to achieve something in anselmos style, you should scream. the technique itself is pretty simply explained, but really needs practice to make it sound good. i've been practicing this whole thing for over a year and i can actually get those high screams like anselmo does on greath southern trendkill without any problems (i.e. hurting my voice) and i can sing, too.

remember, if you start out, keep always a drink close at hand, water is your best choice here. and scream/sing from your diaphragm. dont do it with your throat, you'll **** your vocal chords up and it's gonna hurt like a bitch. i've been there, ever since practicing with correct technique! good luck man
Quote by mmkat
i honestly dont recomend vocal frys. in my opinion, they sound like those emo bands, which isnt really a good thing, if you want to achieve something in anselmos style, you should scream. the technique itself is pretty simply explained, but really needs practice to make it sound good. i've been practicing this whole thing for over a year and i can actually get those high screams like anselmo does on greath southern trendkill without any problems (i.e. hurting my voice) and i can sing, too.

remember, if you start out, keep always a drink close at hand, water is your best choice here. and scream/sing from your diaphragm. dont do it with your throat, you'll **** your vocal chords up and it's gonna hurt like a bitch. i've been there, ever since practicing with correct technique! good luck man

Whiskey is also another good choice. It coats the throat!

If you're serious about singing, you should take lessons. Your voice is an instrument like anything else and you should know how to use it right.

How old are you? Have you hit puberty yet?
Thanks, I'm just looking for a safe screaming technique I can use, so I guess I'll try to stay away from vocal fry. In response to SeeEmilyPlay (I'm guessing those questions were directed at me) I'm 20 and have already been taking voice lessons for a little over a year so I have a pretty good understanding of correct technique, warming up, etc.