Im looking at getting a blackstar ht 5 combo, but have some questions before I do. If anyone that has one could answer these it would be massively helpful.

1) Is it quiet enough for bedroom playing? I've had a 15w fender for about 6 years and never bought anything more due to volume constraints. Ive read that tube amps are comparable to roughly 2.5 times the wattage in solid state, so would it be roughly the same kind of volume?

2) How is it on the high gain front at low volumes? Ive got a zoom 606 i could boost the distortion with while adding reverb (terrible pedal, i know) but would prefer most of the gain to come from the amp. I've got a 7 string with dimarzio dactivators, and play a fair amount of metal (dream theater, nevermore etc), so decent gain is quite important.

Cheers in advance
I have a 40 (technically a 30) watt tube amp that can do bedroom volumes easily. My old 60 watt crate could do the same too. As long as it has a master volume which the blackstar does, then its pretty much fine.
for 5 watts it is very loud, it is suited to bedroom levels. in order for it to sound anyway decnt the gain volume has to be on 2 at the least and the clean on 4, but i have it sounding nice with the overdrive channel on 4 and the clean on about 6, as for the onboard distortion it will play most modern metallica. once you've got the eq right it sounds amazing in my opinion.
Quote by mcconnachiea
I have a 40 (technically a 30) watt tube amp that can do bedroom volumes easily. My old 60 watt crate could do the same too. As long as it has a master volume which the blackstar does, then its pretty much fine.

the ht-5 does not have a master, it starts on the ht-20 and continues through the entire blackstar range
Last edited by britishsligean at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by add666
Im looking at getting a blackstar ht 5 combo, but have some questions before I do. If anyone that has one could answer these it would be massively helpful.

1) Is it quiet enough for bedroom playing? I've had a 15w fender for about 6 years and never bought anything more due to volume constraints. Ive read that tube amps are comparable to roughly 2.5 times the wattage in solid state, so would it be roughly the same kind of volume?

2) How is it on the high gain front at low volumes? Ive got a zoom 606 i could boost the distortion with while adding reverb (terrible pedal, i know) but would prefer most of the gain to come from the amp. I've got a 7 string with dimarzio dactivators, and play a fair amount of metal (dream theater, nevermore etc), so decent gain is quite important.

Cheers in advance

1) There seems to be a common misconception with this. 5 watts is only 5 watts no matter how you produce it and all other things equal, a tube amp will produce the same number decibels as a solid state amp. What the difference is is the perceived volume due to harmonics and emphasis on certain tonal ranges making a tube amp seem louder even though it really isn't.
Dude, I use a 75 watt amp for bedroom playing. 5 watts will be fine as long as you make use of the volume knob.

2) D Activators are pretty high output and with a proper boost you should be able to get into high gain territory. On it's own the HT5 isn't a high gain amp but it's up there for a mid gain amp and plenty of people use it for metal. You should be able to get the gain you want.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by britishsligean
the ht-5 does not have a master, it starts on the ht-20 and continues through the entire blackstar range

Since it doesnt have a master volume, will the drive channel volume drastically affect tone/gain?
The HT-5 has channel volumes which do the same job as a master volume.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Thanks for the help then guys, I think that pretty much sorts it for me. Quite looking forward to having an amp that sounds nice.