Should i select many things (solos, exercises, etc) to practice that deal with many techniques, and practice them over time, increasing my proficiency at them slowly, or select fewer things that each deal with different aspects of playing and practice those until I am very proficient at them and then select new ones?

Basically, many things over time,
or
less things and (hopefully) less time?
Make a cycle.
let say you want to work on tapping alt picking and legato for 2 hours
do one technique for 60 min then work on each other one for 30min then just change up which one you do longger. Srry if this didnt make sense.
I'd choose more short-term goals if I were you. Learning individual songs is an excellent way to increase your proficiency at many different aspects of an instrument, because most songs require most aspects of guitar playing: rhythm, soloing, precision, speed, and improvisation. If you're to learn individual songs, you'll stay focused while learning a broad variety of techniques.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Quote by ProjectileQuiet
I'd choose more short-term goals if I were you. Learning individual songs is an excellent way to increase your proficiency at many different aspects of an instrument, because most songs require most aspects of guitar playing: rhythm, soloing, precision, speed, and improvisation. If you're to learn individual songs, you'll stay focused while learning a broad variety of techniques.

good point. songs have the added benefit of being musical as well! Just learning a technique out of context will have little real world practical utility.

Don't just learn some lick in c# phrygian mode from some guys instructional video. You will probably spend a lot of time practicing it, but little time putting the lick into practice.

What you should do it study the interval patterns on the left hand and the right hand picking patterns of such licks. Then learn to apply these to any particular scale in any key.

Have fun practicing. And again, better to practice things that people will actually want to hear. Music is a social activity. If no one will care then don't play it. Peace.
Last edited by Riffman15 at Jun 7, 2010,