Page 1 of 2
Well what do you guys think of it?
I personally think it sounds good in some places, but I know there are people out there who refuse to even acknowledge it.
Any instances where you particularly like it/dislike it?

Go.

inb4 Muse - Hysteria

Also, it has it's place but I don't like it in a huge amount of places, I like a clean tone for my bass.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

So far I've only heard one person that can pull it off and its Lemmy.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Overall, it's a bad idea, unless you want something really distinctive (like the first reply said, Hysteria, or really, most Muse songs). I find it makes the bass not quite fit in the mix, and it's a total bitch to record, from personal experience.
It sounds pretty good in electronic type stuff. And Hysteria.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Peter Steele(on occasion) and the guy from Mortician both used distorted bass to great effect. However, in most cases it makes the bass get buried under the guitars
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
The Cure - Screw
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Only if the bassist is the best part of the band or all members are just as godly (like the Who). If its just some random dude in the corner crankin' it out its weird. But when you know its Lemmy or Cliff Burton or John Entwistle, its different for some reason

Or if its a bass heavy band. Sabbath and various Doom and Sludge and Stoner rock bands can pull it off
it all depends on your taste, but it can be dangerious. when you do have it you lose a lot of low end so it's best if you have a clean channel and a dirty channel then mix the two. most people don't do that and it sounds god awful.
I like distorted bass in the bass forum.

...I kid. Radiohead makes good use of fuzzy and distorted bass. I personally love the sound.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Yeah this wasn't really a bass forum oriented question, I just felt like gauging some opinions on it. Was listening to In Flames at the time, and I thought they managed to incorporate it pretty damn well into the mix somehow. It doesn't seem to have a great deal of low end, but it has a place in the stereo field all to itself so you can hear it.
I think it's good for solos and not much more tbh

Taking out a lot of low end and replacing it with high end fuzz only serves to get you even more lost in the mix and you lose the power of the guitars.

EDIT: Unless the bass is the lead/driving instrument, of course.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Jun 6, 2010,
fuzz bass = the sex. but dont overdo it?
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I see your Lemmy and raise you a Cliff Burton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry7w895NCsU

You sir, have just won this whole freaking thread.

Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
i don't like it. i find it takes away from having a big, fat bass sound, which I personally am I fan of
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Depends. I have a MXR blowtorch I ALWAYS use on my fretless, since it mixes the clean and distorted signal. A little bit of fuzz on the midrange really helps placing it in the mix, especially when you have drop C guitars, blast beats and cookie monster x2 also fighting for the soundscape.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Scutchington

So far I've only heard one person that can pull it off and its Lemmy.

Y'know why Lemmy's distorted bass sounds so good? Because he plays bass more like a rhythm player and uses chords.

Although he doesn't actualy use a distortion pedal or any other manufactued distortion, he just takes four Marshall 'Superbass' valve amps, throws them through four 4x15 cabs and turns every dial to maximum apart from the bass which is turned completely off.
Quote by GoIrish668
You sir, have just won this whole freaking thread.

... did I miss something? There was nothing even remotely funny in that post.

maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by beatreebor
All of DFA1979

Fix'd.

Also the one part of DIM by BTBAM is pretty cool.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Anaal Nathrakh and Beneath the Massacre make it sound pretty good sometimes.

EDIT: Doctor Matthews your sig is quite good. Very clever.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Last edited by Athabasca at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
I think it sounds disgusting, unless used really well.
Also, Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) sounds like a salamander jerking off, so that is the worst example someone can give of saying distortion sounds good on bass.
my thoughts can be best expressed by this picture

VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Page 1 of 2