So i just bought a tele and i want to make it less spanky.

I don't know how to describe it other than spanky.

any ideas why it's like that?

what can i do?

i want a meaty growly mid range type tone.
Put a dimebucker in it and run it through a Fender 65R (reissue) vertical stack
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
replace the body and neck, bridge and bridge and neck pickups?

EDIT: more serious answer: depends on how much work you're willing to do. those copper (i think? or brass? ) ferrules are meant to help a little but I haven't tried them. you could maybe replace the bridge or the pickups. but it's kinda the nature of the beast, to a certain extent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 6, 2010,
change pickups with some stacked humbuckers... Maybe if you can find a PAF based stacked humbucker tone
well i bought it because it's one of those clear bodies made from some form of plastic. i was going to put led's in it.

what pick up? a dime bucker? does it really have dimes in it? how do they help?

more sustain i bet.
Teles + humbuckers = win.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Bostonrocks
Put a dimebucker in it and run it through a Fender 65R (reissue) vertical stack

hahaha, oh yeah, thats some godly tone right there..
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by gregs1020
well i bought it because it's one of those clear bodies made from some form of plastic. i was going to put led's in it.

what pick up? a dime bucker? does it really have dimes in it? how do they help?

more sustain i bet.

Yep Real dimes. they conduct way better than the normal nickles.

also they were endorsed by Dimebag himself!!!!
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Yep Real dimes. they conduct way better than the normal nickles.

also they were endorsed by Dimebag himself!!!!

And Hendrix!
Try to find a Tele pickup that has a plastic baseplate. Very hard to find, but if you can get one they totally neutralise the Tele 'twang'. Failing that, stick an SD Cool Rails in there and wire it parallel with two 250k control pots and a .047uf cap on the tone control. You'll still get a single coil-ish tone but without the Tele's bright twang and snap.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ wow a lot of grate advize so far.

also i should mention that i use a fender black face amp and maybe that's too bright.

try to put some split p-90's in there, I have a friend with a American Tele Custom Shop, and he dropped some custom, hand wound, split p-90 2's in there. Sounds like a dream
I agree with this guy ^
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by thrashaholic666
why do people buy fenders? they are junky and they suck for metal. what style of music do you play?

hardcountryfolkpoprap-core figured a tele with lights would be perfect.
+2^

TS nice black face, did you get it under a grand?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by gregs1020
hardcountryfolkpoprap-core figured a tele with lights would be perfect.

I thought I was the only UG'er into HCFPR-C...you wanna jam sometime?
a good fender and thier tube champs and better are very good for the price.
hahahahahahahahahahahaa nice pic

i love how this is a troll thread yet some people are replying in all seriousness with posts which sound suspiciously like trolling themselves...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahahahahahahahahahaa nice pic

i love how this is a troll thread yet some people are replying in all seriousness with posts which sound suspiciously like trolling themselves...

it seems like a few people have been trolled into making trollish posts by accident

in all seriousness though, what colour pickguard is your tele? you should get a tortoiseshell pickguard, they make the guitar sound less "spanky", my squier standard tele has one and it sounds a lot less spanky than my fender baja which has a black pickguard. that's why wilko johnson put a tortoiseshell pickguard on his tele, it did have a black one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nyeSGaBcrA&feature=related

then he replaced it with a tortoiseshell one and it sounded a bit less spanky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFcgVJjzwao

Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
it seems like a few people have been trolled into making trollish posts by accident

haha yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by eyebanez333

I thought I was the only UG'er into HCFPR-C...you wanna jam sometime?

ok but we have to play some taylor swift stuff. her guitarist rules.

Quote by Blompcube

in all seriousness though, what colour pickguard is your tele? you should get a tortoiseshell pickguard, they make the guitar sound less "spanky", my squier standard tele has one and it sounds a lot less spanky than my fender baja which has a black pickguard. that's why wilko johnson put a tortoiseshell pickguard on his tele, it did have a black one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nyeSGaBcrA&feature=related

then he replaced it with a tortoiseshell one and it sounded a bit less spanky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFcgVJjzwao

that's awesome, thank you thank you

any other pick ups i should be looking at?

edit: ^ wow that orange peel amp was sick. i don't need a dirty channel, i have a pedal for that.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 7, 2010,
Greg, you've had your fun.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...