I play mostly hard and classic rock (guns n roses, led zeppelin, acdc) occasionally ill play blues and some metal. I have an epiphone les paul standard. I wanted to get a Gibson SG standard, but I have a spending limit of $500, so if you guys have any suggestions...
Stay with the epiphone and save up money.
If you're too stubborn, check out the cheaper schecters, MIM fenders, Ibanez, and Jackson.
None of those will give you the wide les paul neck though
What don't you like about the guitar you already have? If its the sound, you can get new pickups that work better with what you want, for a whole lot cheaper than a new guitar.

that being said, if you want a new guitar just for the sake of having a new guitar, Agile makes great guitars that are priced well in your range, with enough extra to buy yourself better pickups for it and your les paul too.
http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi try these
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
you could look at an epiphone sg, personally i would look at getting an esp ltd ec401 with syemour duncan jb and 59, if you want something in the shape of an sg look at the viper 401 with seymour duncan jb and 59
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at an epiphone sg, personally i would look at getting an esp ltd ec401 with syemour duncan jb and 59, if you want something in the shape of an sg look at the viper 401 with seymour duncan jb and 59

epiphones are pretty much the same all the way around. if you get an epiphone sg its pretty much your les paul with MAYBE a slightly different tone...and obviously it looks different too...
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I'll say what most people said, what's wrong with your epi LP? They are great guitars. If you hate your sound, it's most likely the amp. Also changing the pickups does clear up the tone a bit.
Theres really nothing wrong with my epi les paul, its just that from the begining, ive had my eye on an SG, but the epi les paul was the only thing in my price range at the time (I bought it for $250 at a pawn shop). At least the only les paul in my price range lol
Ah, ok. Still tell us whats making you want to get another guitar. Is it...

Sound?

Feel?

Look?

Construction? (which can be fixed with a set up)

Heavy or hard to access upper frets? (common complaints for Gibson and Epi LP's, some people like me are ok with both of these though.)
Last edited by Jerkofwar at Jun 6, 2010,
Look and feel. The LP feels almost the same as an SG to me, but not quite. I went to guitar center today and checked out the SG selection, and I definitely think i should get a standard, but they are damn expensive!! How much do you think the monthly payments might be on an SG standard? I had to run out so I didnt have time to ask.
If you have a steady income it's cheaper to keep the monthly payments, wait, then buy the guitar with all the saved money.

Monthly payments are only for those people who NEED it now.
Try an epiphone sg g-400 its 250-300. Its a replica of the gibson 1961 sg. I have the g-400 and it can handle all sorts of sounds.
You have 500, no point in looking at epiphones. Trust me on this. Look at a used Gibson Faded SG, or Faded Les Paul. You might even be able to find a used Les Paul Studio at that price.

Don't buy an epiphone when you have enough for a Gibson. You will thank yourself for it later.

I own an SG Standard and it is a great guitar, but the lower end Gibsons really are not that far off. All you really need is to swap the bridge pup for a 498t(which can be found real cheap on ebay lately) and there you have an sg standard basically. only other differences are the clear coat on top, the neck binding, and the trapezoid inlays.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 9, 2010,