Hello everyone. I am looking to buy an esp viper off of ebay. It has active emg pickups in it, the 85/81 setup. I know these were designed more for tube amps instead of solid state. I was wondering how might they sound on my 30 watt valvetronix series amp though?
They won't sound terrible, but it won't utilize the active ability of the pickups to the greatest extent.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
It likely wont sound horrible, what people usually mean when they say that is that a modeling amp like the Valvetronix probably wont pick up on the nuances of the pickup. For this reason when someone is talking about changing their pickups and they have a modeling amp, people on the boards tend to recommend upgrading their amp first because it will have more of an impact on their tone.

If it's the guitar you want then go for it for sure. I'm sure it will sound fine on your amp but if in the future you upgrade to a nice all tube amp you'll really appreciate it.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I'm just regurgitating this, but apparently active pups and solid states are a no-no. (I know it's a hybrid but that one tube isn't doing much)

But I've never tried. I do like active pickups with VST modeling though, gives it more of a punch.

edit:
ignore this post, those EMGs in that video sounded beastly through that VT.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 6, 2010,
This may be of use to you, whilst it's not the same model it has a very similar circuit to the amp you hae so it should be a decent comparison
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I may go for it. Just as a side note though, if it helps any. These are the EMG X pickups, not the normal EMG. They did sound nice in that other valvetronix though. Thanks for that link.
Quote by Railson
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I may go for it. Just as a side note though, if it helps any. These are the EMG X pickups, not the normal EMG. They did sound nice in that other valvetronix though. Thanks for that link.

Afaik the X's are basicly just more organically voiced versions of EMG's traditional active line E.G. an 81-X will just be a slightly more open version of the regular 81. They're still actives though so they would function in the same way and react in the same way to your amp. As said though this shouldn't be a problem, the difference between EMG X's and regular EMG's is just to do with voicing.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
You will benefit from EMG's lack of noise and clarity plus their ability to drive longer guitar cables but that's about it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dont worry it will sound fine i used to use my schecter devil custom with emg 81/85 combo it sounded prertty damn good on my ad100vt-xl imo!