So I'm looking into ditching my RP-80 and getting single stomp boxes, but I was wondering which ones are good to o.k. and which I should stay away from in terms of tone. I play a fairly large variety of music from thrash/shred/death metal to Mr. Bungle style experimental and fusion

I have a Gibson Explorer and a Laney LX65R amp

so which pedals are no-nos in terms of the basics like distortion or overdrive and the more advanced like delays, reverbs. Also are their any manufactures that typically have bad pedals?

thanks a lot
It's all just a joke

stay away from boss, they have a few good pedals (TU-2, NS-2, DD-7) but their distortion pedals sound like shit.
Gear:
- Washburn WG 248
- LTD EC 1000 (blk)
- Randall RG100SC
- TS-808 DIY w/clipping mod

Pics here
In a word, No.
IMO pedals are so diverse that you can use anything. It's all preference & budget.
Behringer's ultra cheap range though (just to contradict myself) are all a bit poor, but they've made some new stuff recently which looks pretty cool (the metal big box models).

If you can narrow it down to budget per-pedal it'll be easier to point you to some decent stuff.

EDIT:
Quote by Ktulu.-
stay away from boss, they have a few good pedals (TU-2, NS-2, DD-7) but their distortion pedals sound like shit.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Boss have made some nice stuff in the past, and if TS is up for doing a few simple mods the modern pedals become awesome.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Ktulu.-

what should I look for in terms of distortion?
It's all just a joke

Generally speaking, the really cheap pedals tend to suck wind. Personally I'd stay away from Digitech and Danelectro pedals I've had some pretty bad luck with Line6 as well.

Beyond that it really comes down to personal opinion. For example I'd never recommend Boss pedals to anyone, but there are plenty of people out there that love them. The best thing you can do is research your pedals, check out youtube clips, and ask for opinions on specific pedals in as many places as you can find.
Quote by SimplyBen
In a word, No.
IMO pedals are so diverse that you can use anything. It's all preference & budget.
Behringer's ultra cheap range though (just to contradict myself) are all a bit poor, but they've made some new stuff recently which looks pretty cool (the metal big box models).

If you can narrow it down to budget per-pedal it'll be easier to point you to some decent stuff.

I would say not far over 100 would be ideal but if I have to i can do over $150
(for instance I would love to get the Jason Becker sig Protone pedal but its like $200)

I think my problem is I'm very anal about my sound and how it sounds to other, like I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone but with all he neg feedback I hear about it I'm not sure if I should sell it now while I have it new....
It's all just a joke

Quote by thecrusher1234!
I would say not far over 100 would be ideal but if I have to i can do over $150
(for instance I would love to get the Jason Becker sig Protone pedal but its like $200)

I think my problem is I'm very anal about my sound and how it sounds to other, like I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone but with all he neg feedback I hear about it I'm not sure if I should sell it now while I have it new....

Well, what do YOU think of the MT-2? Because regardless of the negative feedback, if you like it, it really doesn't matter what other people think.

There is one advantage to Boss pedals though. There are a lot of companies that will modify them (Keeley and Monte Allums for example) which will drastically improve how they sound.
Quote by icronic
Well, what do YOU think of the MT-2? Because regardless of the negative feedback, if you like it, it really doesn't matter what other people think.

There is one advantage to Boss pedals though. There are a lot of companies that will modify them (Keeley and Monte Allums for example) which will drastically improve how they sound.

well I guess I like it so far, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the tones I hear by my heroes (to put it in a cheesy way ) I love Jason Becker's tone, Marty Friedman's, Buckethead and Guthrie Govan's and I know this pedal isn't made to suit all of these people but I like that shred sound the most

I think I'm just worried about spending $90 on a pedal that doesn't help me get the tone I want so I may just be insecure
It's all just a joke

Yeah the MT-2 is definitely not the direction I'd go for those kinds of tones. You might want to check out the Fulltone OCD, cmatmods Brownie, Xotic BB-Preamp, or just a tubescreamer.

I actually get a great Guthrie kind of sound by stacking a Zendrive with any of the above pedals. But the Zen is a VERY expensive option. But then again, he actually uses one of these pedals.
Quote by icronic
Yeah the MT-2 is definitely not the direction I'd go for those kinds of tones. You might want to check out the Fulltone OCD, cmatmods Brownie, Xotic BB-Preamp, or just a tubescreamer.

I actually get a great Guthrie kind of sound by stacking a Zendrive with any of the above pedals. But the Zen is a VERY expensive option. But then again, he actually uses one of these pedals.

yeah after doing some quick research I've noticed that a lot of my mentioned guitarist use overdrives, not distortion. Is this because they play tube amps so the overdrive sounds better? (I play a solid state so....) Does a tubescreamer work well on only a tube amp? what about overdrives on solid states?

and finally, where the hell can I find all this stuff local stores and guitar center sell mainly Boss pedals with some Digitech!!??

thanks so much for your help so far also....as you can tell I'm in an emotional state
It's all just a joke

Honestly overdrives are distortions are basically the same thing. The biggest difference is distortion tends to have far more gain, and a much more drastic alteration of your base tone. Also, I would only really use a distortion pedal with the clean channel of the amp, where you could use most overdrives with either channel.

Both types of pedals will work with both solid state or tube amps, but both will also sound far far better with a tube amp.

If you can, I'd strongly suggest that instead of buying pedals you save as much money as you can for a half decent used tube amp.

As for where to buy them, check out the homepages of the manufacturers usually they have a listing of stores that carry their products.
All pedals are subjective really.

For instance I hate most boss pedals, minus some of their modulation effects like delay and chorus and such. But I don't like the price quality ratio for boss pedals which is why I avoid them. When I'm looking to try a new effect I usually grab a behringer pedal for 30 bucks. Then sell it for 20 if I don't like, then upgrade to better quality whenever. I love the cool cat line of daneelctro pedals. Digitech pedals aren't horrible, their hardwire line is excellent.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
All pedals are subjective really.

For instance I hate most boss pedals, minus some of their modulation effects like delay and chorus and such. But I don't like the price quality ratio for boss pedals which is why I avoid them. When I'm looking to try a new effect I usually grab a behringer pedal for 30 bucks. Then sell it for 20 if I don't like, then upgrade to better quality whenever. I love the cool cat line of daneelctro pedals. Digitech pedals aren't horrible, their hardwire line is excellent.

I've actually got a Behringer Compressor sustainer that I'm fairly happy with so in the future I may try to upgrade that. tomorrow I think I'm going to go out and try some overdrives (maybe the Boss Super Overdrive...any other suggestions?) and some other pedals, thats why I was wondering about the ones I should avoid
It's all just a joke

Yeah, the Digitech Hardwire line of pedals is FANTASTIC, regular/standard Digitech are definitely nothing to write home about.
And I sort of agree with the idea of instead, saving up a bunch of money for a new [tube] amp. Most overdrive pedals are probably going to sound very similar to your amps own distortion/overdrive.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Distortion pedals can be tricky because they cover so much ground - from 60s fuzz to overdrive to distortion to high-gain insanity. You need to narrow down exactly which sort your are looking for. I like the Blackstar distortion pedals; particularly the HT-DISTX for high-gain stuff.

For chorus, the Red Witch Empress is becoming the one to beat. It isn't cheap, though. Red Witch makes a number of great pedals that are well worth a look.

MXR is the industry standard for phasers and flangers. There are other good ones, but the MXR phaser and flanger pedals still rule the roost after thirty years.

Then there are a lot of specialty pedals made by any number of boutique manufacturers. If you are looking for something special or unusual, the boutique pedals are the way to go. The problem is that they are usually very expensive.

In the end, you have to try as many as you can and see which ones you like. The manufacturers' sound clips can help, but they have usually been recorded under professional circumstances so they can be deceiving. Your ear is the last and best judge.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
stay away from digitech unless its a hardwire series..my first pedal was a digitech death metal...most horrible sounding thing on the planet
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
Quote by FatalGear41

Then there are a lot of specialty pedals made by any number of boutique manufacturers. If you are looking for something special or unusual, the boutique pedals are the way to go. The problem is that they are usually very expensive.

yeah I was super interested in the Pro tones pedals (aren't they boutique?) but the price is pretty crazy,

thanks again for all you guys giving me a hand
It's all just a joke

Quote by thecrusher1234!
I've actually got a Behringer Compressor sustainer that I'm fairly happy with so in the future I may try to upgrade that. tomorrow I think I'm going to go out and try some overdrives (maybe the Boss Super Overdrive...any other suggestions?) and some other pedals, thats why I was wondering about the ones I should avoid

Which compressor? I had the DC9 which does its job fine, but sucked out my bottm end so I got rid of it. But for 20 bucks can't lose lol.

Let me rephrase my digitech statement. Their lower line of distortions are nothing to write home about, but the digitech bad monkey is a great tube screamer for cheap.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I don't understand all the boss hate. I have a Boss DD-2 Blues Driver and a Boss RC-20XL loop pedal, both that I like a lot. Though I did have their Boss DD-3 Delay pedal and didn't like that. Not to derail this thread, but anyone know any good delay pedals?
I personally like DOD pedals.I have delay,chorus and love them bolth.I got mine at Guitar Center years ago.I'm not sure if they carry them any more.But if you can try a DOD Supra distortion that may be somthing you'll like.
Quote by Joshua1207
I don't understand all the boss hate. I have a Boss DD-2 Blues Driver and a Boss RC-20XL loop pedal, both that I like a lot. Though I did have their Boss DD-3 Delay pedal and didn't like that. Not to derail this thread, but anyone know any good delay pedals?

The Boss Giga Delay is a very good delay pedal. I've had one for a few years and I am still learning all of the things you can do with it. It takes up a lot of space on the pedalboard, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by icronic
Honestly overdrives are distortions are basically the same thing. The biggest difference is distortion tends to have far more gain, and a much more drastic alteration of your base tone. Also, I would only really use a distortion pedal with the clean channel of the amp, where you could use most overdrives with either channel.

This is wrong. There is a difference but I've just woken up so I can't say what it is yet.

As far as distortion goes look into Blackstar pedals if you have an SS amp. They sound amazing.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by FatalGear41
The Boss Giga Delay is a very good delay pedal. I've had one for a few years and I am still learning all of the things you can do with it. It takes up a lot of space on the pedalboard, though.

I've seen a few demos of that on youtube, looks pretty sweet.
There's lots of BOSS and Zvex hate here. The former because BOSS products have slipped in quality in recent years; a lot of their vintage stuff is highly sought after, such as the Slow Gear. People hate Zvex because he's a douchebag (protip: most boutique pedal makers are). BOSS still makes good delay pedals, and I'm quite fond of the DS-1, but everyone else seems to hate it.
Quote by SimplyBen
This is wrong. There is a difference but I've just woken up so I can't say what it is yet.

As far as distortion goes look into Blackstar pedals if you have an SS amp. They sound amazing.

Overdrive = soft clipping
Distortion = hard clipping

distortion basically just sounds alot more digital and fake when it comes to solid state circuitry/pedals.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I'd say get away from BOSS, they have a very bad buffer, and most of their modern effects aren't really good, sound really sterile (in my opinion)
electro-harmonix and Dunlop/MXR, IMO, are the best production-line pedals, they make a huge amount of their pedals, but they are great
Digitech has some nice stuff, nothing exceptionnal, but a few gems (bad monkey overdrive, i also liked my turbo flange when i still used it, the whammy's awesome) but their hardwire series are simply put amazing
also, carl martin are one of my favorite pedal makers =)

edit: oh, and in my opinion, the line6 pedals are the best digital effects in a moderate price range
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 7, 2010,
tone quests are subjective....but that said there are high quality high budget items and cheapos too

do some youtube fishing and use your ears...then go test drive the gear in person