Alright so I said I was going to make this thread quite a while back... Here it is!

I'll start with the NAD portion:

Amp: (1987?) Peavey VTM60 + matching Peavey 412MS Cab
Price Paid: traded my Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe for it
Features:
Controls: Two (2) 6l6, Four (4) 12AX7
Front Panel: 2 Inputs, DIP switches, bass/mids/treb, Presence, PreGain/PostGain (AKA Gain/MasterVolume), Effects Loop
Back Panel: Ground Switch (for Hum), Fuse, Hum Balance, Remote Standby, and a bunch of SpeakerOut connections that are pretty confusing
Cab: Four Celestion G12K-85 speakers, closed back, heavy as hell.

I haven't really played it that much since I took it apart and sat it on a dresser in my basement, but here goes the review:

For reference, I'm using no pedals (yet) and an Ibanez Iceman IC200 with INF3 & INF4 pups. Also a Danelectro Dead On '67.

So far, this amp has really impressed me. For a single channel amp, it is INCREDIBLY versatile. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for in an amp. Although it has the 2 6l6s, it has a distinctly Marshall vibe. It is pretty much a hotrodded JCM800, I've been told.
It has two inputs, HiGain and LoGain. HiGain is real nice, it can go from a really nice crunch all the way to a massive sludgey chug. I must admit, with the PreGain up high (3 oclock) it can sound a bit muddy (might be my pups). I suspect a good boost might tighten it up for metal genres calling for a tight and precise attack and extreme clarity. I don't mind it though, it's sound is massive and I like it. The LoGain has a tendency to stay really clean. By turning on the 2 Gain controls with the DIP switches, it can get a real nice crunch. With a nice collection of pedals (which sadly, I'm lacking), this would be ideal for the Post-Rock guitarist.
Presence generally stays between 10 and 2 O'clock.
The DIP switches are what really set this amp apart from the others. According to the PDF file, which explains the DIP functions in depth, it's not so much an EQ, but rather each switch (Gain 1, Gain 2, Comp, Low 1, Low 2, Mid, Hi 1, Hi 2) accentuates, or "activates" the frequency. I'm not sure the specifics, but it can really change the character of the amp. I haven't played around with the switches enough to go into it any more than that, sorry.
The Gain itself on this amp is really nice, saturated, not thin at all. The cleans are also pretty nice, not stellar but they have some character. Using the guitars volume knob really opens up the possibilities of the amp, as it can clean up a higher gain setting very easily. The only thing is that with the Dano, the treble can become slightly unbearable, and I haven't quite found a way to remedy this yet.

So in conclusion (if I haven't forgotten anything), this amp can really be anything from a sludge-metal machine, a classic rock crunch monster, to a perfect platform for someone with a massive pedalboard.

Here is some pictures:

I also have some gut shots, PM me if you want 'em. I might post in the gut shot thread anyways so...

I also don't have a mic, so no clips atm. Sorry!

Now for Part II:

So as I said before, the head was in real bad cosmetic shape. I was all gung ho about re-Tolexing it. I took it apart and then realized that I had no idea how to do it!

Anyways I took the chassis out and took off all the corners and screw, which are a bit rusty. Just today, I ripped off all the nasty tolex and sanded down the outside.

I'm wondering what to do next? Should I reshape the corners and chips with wood filler? Or would it work out without it?

Also, what colour would you guys pick out of these? I'm thinking either white or rough blonde with oxblood grill.. I'm not sure about the grill cloth, I may try to find an acrylic/glass/metal plate to put over top.

I'm also going to order some corners, but they are the 4 hole corners and I'm not sure if they still make them.

Another thing is that the front of the headcab is angled. Do you think this would be a challenge? Is there anything special measurements I need to make compared to a straight headcab?

And do you guys think I should bother with piping?

I'll try and provide more pics. I'll get this project done sooner or later, I'm dying to crank this thing up again

I'll try and answer any questions as well, I probably forgot a lot of stuff. I spent a lot of time trying to find reviews and stuff so I thought I'd do my part to help anyone else out.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 6, 2010,
i had their flat face 4x12 with k-85's, great cab for everything you mention. one of the best sludge metal cabs i have run across.

keepin it real with the older stuff.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by enselmis
That thing is pretty sweet man. It looks hideous, yet awesome at the same time. HNAD! Clips pl0x?

when I find a way to record some decent clips I promise I will
ScaryFried: it's a Danelectro Hornet Reissue, called a DeadOn'67

SimplyBen: ya FJA does a tone of mods for this thing, I'm not really sure I'm going to mod it much myself though. The Bright-Cap mod if anything. I'm gonna message ForsaknAzrael about how he did his.
thank god! we need more of these suckers on this board. HNAD!!!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
HNAD!

These amps are great...I'm thinking about snagging one next time I see one up on Craigslist.
I love your guitar. Just throwin that tout there.

HNAD
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Nice. Are these always 6L6?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Purple
Anyway HNAD!
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by tubetime86
Nice. Are these always 6L6?

I believe they all are from the factory. People have modded them to put EL34s in though. Forsaknazrael would know for sure. I'm considering snagging one of these the next time one shows up on my local CL.
Dude nice amp, those old Peavey VTM's are SICK!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ted - you should remove the preamp tube cover thing, put some LEDs in there and get plexiglass front cover. That will sexify it

YES! Teh plexiglass is better then any other option available. It will make women cream their panties... and then they will realise that you are still playing that damn thing, 2 hours later...

Always wanted a VTM, they just sound like a fun amp to have around. HNAD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
ya I was thinking white tolex, plexiglass front and blue LEDs would really make this thing epic looking.

Only problem is I have no clue where to find a small rectangle of plexiglass/acrylic! I'll have to shop around.

I'm open to any other suggestions, before I get my shit together and finally reinarnate the VTM !
How is the "response modification" feature? Always thought that sounded so cool!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
How is the "response modification" feature? Always thought that sounded so cool!

It works really good, if I had seen this thing being sold new I'd say "gimmick", but it's definitely not a gimmick. It changes the voicing of the amp almost. The Gain controls in particular are really helpful in changing it from a high gain beast to a clean machine

The only thing is that they are a hassle to change quick when fiddling with the amp, but I think it's so you don't get people messing with it and then you have to flick a hundred switches and turn a hundred knobs just to get your setting back.
Quote by Tedward
The only thing is that they are a hassle to change quick when fiddling with the amp, but I think it's so you don't get people messing with it and then you have to flick a hundred switches and turn a hundred knobs just to get your setting back.

OMG I would be thrown into a drunken rage! Already get upset enough when someone messes with my 7-band eq, much less the voicing of the amp itself!

Such a cool amp dude, almost bought one when I was still a noob (got a Boss ME instead -.-)
Quote by Tedward
ya I was thinking white tolex, plexiglass front and blue LEDs would really make this thing epic looking.

Only problem is I have no clue where to find a small rectangle of plexiglass/acrylic! I'll have to shop around.

I'm open to any other suggestions, before I get my shit together and finally reinarnate the VTM !

I just did this two weeks ago.
Just get a big piece of plexiglass fro home depot. ( got a huge piece for $12 and buy the razor thing they have to cut it (they have em at home depot

then buy this kit

http://www.eaglelight.com/product/S5050-1W18S-RGB-WP

and some clear plastic double sided tape to put the plexiglass onto the wood frame of the head..and there you go

all in all about $80 and 1-3 hours worth of work. and it look sexy as hell

here's some pics of my amp after it was finished

http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at Jun 8, 2010,