I searched for a while but I couldn't find a clear answer, just need to double check...

I'm thinking about changing the speaker in my Peavey 6505+ 112 and I saw a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker on eBay, its 16 ohm.

Is a 16 ohm speaker definitely compatible with my Peavey 6505+ 112? If I buy a 8 ohm speaker for it does it simply not work?

How hard is changing the speaker? I have no electronics knowledge but I'm handy with a screw driver.

Thanks.
Last edited by sensei888 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by sensei888
I have no electronics knowledge but I'm handy with a screw driver.

LOL... You're going to need to do some soldering. Go to the Wiring Thread in Guitar building and customization to learn how to solder...
BTW who isn't handy with a screwdriver??? Its not that hard?
Yea I was kind of illustrating that I have no clue about how to change the speaker by saying I can use a screwdriver.
It will be very bad for your power amp section if it is anything other than a 16 ohm speaker.

And no, you will not need any more than a screwdriver - the speaker connectors just slide on.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
It will be very bad for your power amp section if it is anything other than a 16 ohm speaker.

And no, you will not need any more than a screwdriver - the speaker connectors just slide on.

Oh happy day.

You the man Dave, thanks.
There's a switch on the back of the 6505+ that allows you to change between 4, 8, and 16 ohms.
Quote by Dehumanize93
There's a switch on the back of the 6505+ that allows you to change between 4, 8, and 16 ohms.

I thought that was just if you had a cabinet connected with four speakers they would have to be all 4 ohms etc so it always adds up to 16.

If I buy a 8 ohm speaker, does that mean it will be using less power?
Quote by sensei888
Oh happy day.

You the man Dave, thanks.

Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by sensei888
I thought that was just if you had a cabinet connected with four speakers they would have to be all 4 ohms etc so it always adds up to 16.

If I buy a 8 ohm speaker, does that mean it will be using less power?

only if wired in series…

also, you're not using less power with the 8ohm speaker, you're halving the resistance and if the amp is not rated for 8 ohms or less than you'll fry it in a short amount of time
Last edited by infectedmusicac at Jun 7, 2010,