I want new pups for my 85 Squier that i inherited from my now deceased uncle. My parents finally lightened up to the idea of changing the pups on it(the ones on it are dead, basically). The sound is incredibly weak on the two pups(H-H) and I'm not sure if its the pups or the pots or whatever. If anyone knows what is causing that problem, i would greatly appreciate an answer. I also wanna get pups that will give a really good tone comparable to that of David Gilmour. The catch is that it has humbuckers. And also, if pots would help the tone of this guitar, im interested in getting some, so does anyone know what kind i should get(i know next to zero about pots, so some info on them would be great).

Thanks,
Dio10101
Quote by Dio10101
I want new pups for my 85 Squier that i inherited from my now deceased uncle. My parents finally lightened up to the idea of changing the pups on it(the ones on it are dead, basically). The sound is incredibly weak on the two pups(H-H) and I'm not sure if its the pups or the pots or whatever. If anyone knows what is causing that problem, i would greatly appreciate an answer. I also wanna get pups that will give a really good tone comparable to that of David Gilmour. The catch is that it has humbuckers. And also, if pots would help the tone of this guitar, im interested in getting some, so does anyone know what kind i should get(i know next to zero about pots, so some info on them would be great).

Thanks,
Dio10101

sounds like the pickups have been changed already as Squier strats had 3 single coil pups. if you want David Gilmour then you need to change the pickguard to one that holds 3 single coil pickups and then get the gilmour EMG pickups put into it.
Quote by monwobobbo
sounds like the pickups have been changed already as Squier strats had 3 single coil pups. if you want David Gilmour then you need to change the pickguard to one that holds 3 single coil pickups and then get the gilmour EMG pickups put into it.

Actually it has no pickguard and is routed for two Humbuckers.
I would suggest doing a coil-tap when you get the humbuckers, cuz thats the only way you're gonna get single coil tones without a single coil. I have no suggestions for which ones to get though. Probably ones with lower output

EDIT: oh and you would need to get a "push/pull" pot to do it.
Quote by Dio10101
Actually it has no pickguard and is routed for two Humbuckers.

oops my bad forgot that they made a more metal orientated version, just checked ebay and they have the same one you're talking about. ok i'd look into the new pickup from seymour duncan. can't remember the name but it can function as a regular humbucker, single coil or have a P-90 sound. this would give you the biggest variety of sounds. a friend of mine on another board swears by the and he knows his stuff.