I'm on a budget for a solid distortion or overdrive pedal, and need to know what models I really need to be looking at. My budget's about 120. Just need a few suggestions on what could get me some punk induced tones, but can can tone it down for other classic rock and indie rock. Thanks.
As of right now, I am playing my Strat through a Line 6 Spider III. I plan on getting a new tube amp this summer though.
Get the tube amp first. Running pedals with your spider won't sound any better than what distortion the spider already has.

When you do get a nice tube amp, I suggest A barber dirty bomb.

Also I suggest if the strat isn't a HSS strat then get some humbuckers.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^ actually a standard strat isn't going to be in anyway bad for punk either. you don't need humbucker-equipped instruments to play higher gain stuff.

I agree with not buying any pedals yet though. Running pedals through low-end modelling amps is likely to produce undesired results.

Just stick with the spider for now. It gets lots of bandwagon hate on UG but the truth is it will give you enough modelled distortion to derive punk induced tones.
I like my strat fine and really don't find the need to go to humbuckers as I feel it is not necessary. Just want to find a solid distortion, but not too pricy, to buy in the future.
more to the point u can get stacked humbuckers so u wouldnt need to change anything if u did want to go down that road.

basicly what i would say is get a tube amp that has a decent distortion to beging with, and that depends on what sort of music ur going to be playing as to what sort of ull need to be looking at. i would say punk to hard rock ull be looking at marshall jcm models. anything heavier stuff like the 6505's are a standard.

then to make everything better ud just need to get something like an EQ pedal to compliment the amp settings but boost them and an Ibanez TS7 tone lok OD to tighten everything up, as it have same insides as a TS9 just dosnt have a nice looking outside, and is half the price.

but thats just what i would do.

but definatly get a decent tube amp with a sound that you like to start with.
A Peavey Classic 30 is good for classic rock and indie, sure.

You might want to try something a bit more "spicey", though. Many people already own (or have owned) a Classic 30 and, as awesome as it is for the price, the tone is maybe a little overused, for want of a nicer word.

The Laney VC30 is a great little amp that scores similar marks but is harder to find in America so more "unique" sounding. It is also voiced to sound British, while the Peavey is almost a balance between American and British, if you know what I mean?

There are loads of other amps you could choose from. Tonnes.
yeah, ur definately gonna wanna get the amp first. i have the classic 50 and i absolutely love the sound i get out of it. im sure the calssic 30 is just as nice.
My Gear
Schecter Omen 6
Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst
Peavey Classic 50 Combo amp
Korg Pedal Tuner
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
MxR Fullbore Metal
Vox Time Machine
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Yeah absolutely. Any other recommendations on some decent tube amps without an enormous price tag?
punk induced tones?

How about an Ibanez Valbee?. It's got a tiny speaker and some say it sounds weak but if you plug it into a 1x12 or 2x12, i'm sure it would be huge to the ears.

However, if you can shell out the bucks, i'd say Vox Night Train or Tiny Terror. Either one of both will give you enough gain, enough versatility and enough volume to play it for at least 2 years before you sell it.
+1 for the TT. I have one, play punk, and love it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Definitely get the amp first because you might be able to just use the footswitch it comes with but also if you still decide you want a dist. pedal the mi audio crunch box looks like it might be pretty good for you its just around $120 I think.
Quote by mcraddict81592
+1 for the TT. I have one, play punk, and love it.

Does it offer clean tones as well, because I'm into just about everything, punk, ska, any classic rock. So I need to have that versatility with my amp where I can get crunchy tones, but also clean tones.
Yeah, my set up is with the volume at about 2-3 o'clock, gain at about 9-10 o'clock. Gets me the cleans, then a BB Preamp (until my friend comes to pick it up) to throw it into OD. Sounds great either way.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

i feel like so many of these "which pedal should i get" threads end up with recommendations for a new amp rather than a pedal... reminds me of how people say they go into a guitar store knowing that they want one thing, but the salesman insists that they should get something completely different (obviously it's a different scenario since we're not trying to sell anything for commission). but i do completely agree that a great pedal can't achieve its potential through a mediocre amp or worse. just remember that if the TS is asking about pedals, then at the very least we should provide information about pedals. in this case though, it seems the recommendations for an amp are welcome since he plans on buying one soon anyway...

anyway, to contribute to the thread.. +1 to the mi audio crunchbox. it is a boutique pedal but at 130, it's still right around your budget. i got one a couple months ago, and like people have said in the past, it can pretty much do one type of distortion, but it does it very well and i love it. there's a bunch of videos online where you can get an idea of how it sounds. i actually picked up an mi audio blues pro to cover lower gain OD settings, and the pair has worked out well for me.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
Does it offer clean tones as well, because I'm into just about everything, punk, ska, any classic rock. So I need to have that versatility with my amp where I can get crunchy tones, but also clean tones.

yeah it gets you the cleans but they sound nothing like a bassman or a Vox AC.

you've got to roll off the gain to about 11 o clock for single coils. if the master volume goes above 9 o clock, you've got to roll off the guitar volume and guitar tone knobs abit to get rid of the ear piercing frequencies.

anyway, bearing in mind what the above poster said, we're not forcing you into anything. if you feel that the spider with a crunchbox is going to sound good, then by all means do it. Refer to my sig.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Jun 7, 2010,
I love that signature man, I guess it's all preference in the end, eh? I plan on getting an amp within the next month anyway, I think I'll either buy Epiphone Valve Senior, or VOX AC15. Still wondering about a solid distortion/overdrive stompbox. I've been looking into The BOSS BD-2 and OD-3, like those tones, but was curious about the Big Muff Pi from EHX. Anyone know good they are?